Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2009, 10:44 AM   #1

Pentax ME Super Winding Issues

Hey all!

I've been using my fathers Pentax ME Super for ever now and recently it's started acting a bit odd in terms of winding. Ranging from once every 5 shots or so to every second shot, the camera does not fully prepare the camera for shooting in that it will advance the film but it won't release the shutter when I push the button. Is this a common problem with the ME Super? Is it easily repairable? I'm considering just buying a new body because this one is so beat up but the sentimental value and the fantastic shots it has made for me makes it hard to just pass on to the camera place in the sky!

According to my dad, it won't actually be "skipping" a frame due to some mechanism in the camera, but I find this hard to believe. I can't confirm it either as I send away all my films in batches of 5 so it'll be a while till I get the shots back.

Sorry to be nagging on my first post, but this has been dementing me since my trip to Austria!

Regards, Jack

11-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can you confirm the state of the mirror when this condition occurs? Is it stuck in the up position? regardless, it may be time for a CLA. You can have it all fixed and working like new for less than $100. OR... you can find one on eBay that has already been CLA'd.

Sometimes old units in original condition that have seen very little used can be had even cheaper.
11-03-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Inafinus Quote
Hey all!

I've been using my fathers Pentax ME Super for ever now and recently it's started acting a bit odd in terms of winding. Ranging from once every 5 shots or so to every second shot, the camera does not fully prepare the camera for shooting in that it will advance the film but it won't release the shutter when I push the button. Is this a common problem with the ME Super? Is it easily repairable? I'm considering just buying a new body because this one is so beat up but the sentimental value and the fantastic shots it has made for me makes it hard to just pass on to the camera place in the sky!

According to my dad, it won't actually be "skipping" a frame due to some mechanism in the camera, but I find this hard to believe. I can't confirm it either as I send away all my films in batches of 5 so it'll be a while till I get the shots back.

Sorry to be nagging on my first post, but this has been dementing me since my trip to Austria!

Regards, Jack
i had a problem like that with a ME super i picked up off ebay recently. camera was quite mint on the outside but for some reason the shutter would not trip every few frames. i'm not sure whether it will skip frames or how to remedy it if it happens as i did not have film loaded then.

however, i managed to fix it by continuously working the shutter and cocking mechanisms. i guess it got a bit sticky on the insides due to the little use it got, so it just needed a good workout. i don't know about your case, since your ME super is well-used, but it's worth a shot since it worked for me.
11-03-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey all!

Regards, Jack
Welcome to the Pentax Forum!!

I had a similar problem with a Pentax KX. It was the film take-up spool that needed to be replaced.

Best send your camera to Eric and do a CLA at the same time.

Phil

URL for Eric Henderson Pentax repairs

Home

11-03-2009, 11:44 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
Can you confirm the state of the mirror when this condition occurs? Is it stuck in the up position? regardless, it may be time for a CLA. You can have it all fixed and working like new for less than $100. OR... you can find one on eBay that has already been CLA'd.

Sometimes old units in original condition that have seen very little used can be had even cheaper.
Non. When it cocks normally everything works fine. It's just when I try and cock again, the shutter button won't become, erm, active? As in, when I press it, it doesn't release the shutter

And I'm actually probably going to go have it serviced because I love this one so much. Have you ever noticed when the coating comes off the body, it looks like a sort of coppery colour underneath? Might have to have a go with a wee bit of sandpaper on this baby!
11-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Non. When it cocks normally everything works fine. It's just when I try and cock again, the shutter button won't become, erm, active? As in, when I press it, it doesn't release the shutter

And I'm actually probably going to go have it serviced because I love this one so much. Have you ever noticed when the coating comes off the body, it looks like a sort of coppery colour underneath? Might have to have a go with a wee bit of sandpaper on this baby!
That'll be patina on the brass undercoating. If you take sandpaper to it, you'll likely get a bright color elsewhere, which won't look the same.
11-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for all the quick replies! Gutted about the brass undercoating. How groovy would it be to have a brass ME Super!

Is Eric's service all dine and fandy if you are ordering from abroad? Obviouslly I am located in Scotland, so if you can recomend someone in the UK who's just as good that would be ideal, but if he's the best of the best, then I'm willing to pay a premium

11-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The crappy exchange rate may make it seem expensive to send it to the states. But, yes, his reputation preceeds him!
11-04-2009, 06:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was having that exact problem with my ME super. My fix -- Eric received it for CLA yesterday.