Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2009, 07:24 AM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 84
Opinions on Praktica MTL5 & Super Tak 55mm f/2?

Spotted the above combo for 60 in a charity shop.
Looks to be in lovely condition.
Worth a look?

If the lens is any good I might get an adapter and use it on my K20D and superA.

11-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member
ytterbium's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,076
Sometimes i use MTL5 + SMC Tak 55/1.8. Nice combo.
If the camera is in full working order it has the advantage of full manual MECHANICAL operation ( i was surprised that it is already become hard to find such cameras in good condition today at reasonable price). Most have only 1/125 mechanical speed or none at all, just manual metering (and electronic shutter action).

Even if the batteries die or meter dosn't work, all its speeds remain operational. You can keep the shutter open in a bulb mode for an infinite time aswell (since no power used) - only then you need a mechanical release cable with locking option.

If your'e good with electronics, you can modify its metering circuit with stabistor diode to use modern batteries (1.5V oposed to older 1.35V) but some say it meters just fine with 1.5V too.

It is known to have problems with film rewing mechanism and whery hard mirror action (slap).
]I'd say that the lens is very good aswell (55/1.8 on K200d and Kodak Ektar 100):

Click for larger size.


Click for larger size.


Click for larger size.

Last edited by ytterbium; 11-04-2009 at 02:01 PM.
11-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Copenhagen
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,845
QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
Sometimes i use MTL5 + SMC Tak 55/1.8. Nice combo.
If the camera is in full working order it has the advantage of full manual MECHANICAL operation ( i was surprised that it is already become hard to find such cameras in good condition today at reasonable price). Most have only 1/125 mechanical speed or none at all, just manual metering (and electronic shutter action).

Even if the batteries die or meter dosn't work, all its speeds remain operational. You can keep the shutter open in a bulb mode for an infinite time aswell (since no power used) - only then you need a mechanical release cable with locking option.

If your'e good with electronics, you can modify its metering circuit with stabistor diode to use modern batteries (1.5V oposed to older 1.35V) but some say it meters just fine with 1.5V too.

It is known to have problems with film rewing mechanism and whery hard mirror action (slap).
]I'd say that the lens is very good aswell (55/1.8 on K200d and Kodak Ektar 100):

Click for larger size.
What aperture were you at ? amazingly sharp and crisp image
11-04-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Fixcinater's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 409
The Super Tak 55mm f/2 and the f/1.8 version are both fantastic. Price seems high for what I've seen around here, but I don't know your area...

11-04-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member
Ben_Edict's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SouthWest "Regio"
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,303
I would also say, that the price is a bit steep. For that money you should find a Spotmatic in good condition, which is an altogether more refined camera.

Ben
11-04-2009, 11:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Fixcinater's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 409
Here's a sample from my Super Tak 55mm f/1.8 with 68mm of extension tubes. It's a great macro lens, although my Fuji 55mm f/1.8 holds better sharpness at apertures smaller than f/11.

11-04-2009, 11:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member
ytterbium's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,076
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
What aperture were you at ? amazingly sharp and crisp image
Most likely F1.8 or F2.2 at max. Shot RAW. I've actually haven't used that lens that much, bought it as a cheap replacement for my f50/1.7 and it did really good for a 50$ lens.
...
Update: Yep, seems to be F1.8 and you can see the rest of the exif here aswell: Alienation 1 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (ISO 640, 1/50).
Btw, it was shot hand held under two 18W fluorescent tubes (6500k and 2700k). If your'e interested i can look up the original and post a 100% crop later.

Edit: As promised - uploaded a 100% crop from UFRAW/GIMP. No processing other than cropping and contrast increase for main curve:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 

Last edited by ytterbium; 11-05-2009 at 10:19 AM.
11-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
Forum Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 84
Original Poster
I'll probably give it a miss from what I've read about the body.
A friend is interested in buying it, so I might try to convince him to sell be the lens to me if he goes for it

11-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
Pentaxian
ChrisPlatt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 4,779
Wouldn't you really rather have a Pentax?

Chris
11-06-2009, 09:44 AM   #10
Banned




Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Alberta
Posts: 218
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Wouldn't you really rather have a Pentax?

Chris
Hi Chris platt. I have 19 Pentax bodies from H1a/S1 to K7,I recently won the Pentacon MTL5 from our friend still22 on ebay,whom I highly reccomend,so I know it is going to be in mint condition,I don't see why pentaxians should not try other mfgs,mechanical bodies with the superb pentax lenses we all own or crave,after all it is M42 so why not live dangerously and dare to try something different,plus the $7.00 it cost me will not be wasted even if it ends up as a door stop.My motto has always been "try it you might like it"
11-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #11
Banned




Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Alberta
Posts: 218
QuoteOriginally posted by kryss Quote
Hi Chris platt. I have 19 Pentax bodies from H1a/S1 to K7,I recently won the Pentacon MTL5 from our friend still22 on ebay,whom I highly reccomend,so I know it is going to be in mint condition,I don't see why pentaxians should not try other mfgs,mechanical bodies with the superb pentax lenses we all own or crave,after all it is M42 so why not live dangerously and dare to try something different,plus the $7.00 it cost me will not be wasted even if it ends up as a door stop.My motto has always been "try it you might like it"
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
tak 55mm
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K55mm f1.8 vs SMC Super Tak 55mm f1.8 JeffJS Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 22 06-04-2012 03:32 PM
Super Tak f2 55mm Garyleed Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 12-01-2009 06:12 PM
For Sale - Sold: SMC Tak 150mm/4, SMC Tak 135mm/3.5, Super Tak 55mm/2 and extras pdxbmw Sold Items 8 09-10-2009 10:54 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:47 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top