Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #1

Recommendation for Film Body?

Hey all,

I'm looking to consolidate my cameras, I'm currently shooting a K-7 and a classic Canon AE-1... and it's costing me a bundle to feed both systems I do love the camera a bunch though.

So now I'm thinking I can consolidate my costs a bit if I go Pentax for my film body - won't be able to use the DA lenses, but everything K-mount up to FA should be usable on both bodies. Someone please correct me if this is wrong info.

I'd like to preserve as much of the "classic" feel of the AE-1 as I can. Does anyone have any recommendations or comments on this? I'm looking at the Pentax MX right now, but I'm honestly a bit lost as to what the pros and cons are of each body.

[edit] Oh, I'd also much prefer manual focus to autofocus... if I wanted great performance I'd use the K-7 The film is more for novelty and the classic old-timey feel.

11-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This site should help:
Pentax Camera Bodies

I have examples from the K, M, A and P series groups (see my signature below).
I honestly cannot figure out which one I like best.

I would guess that the M series is more like your AE-1 then all the rest. Any of them that can utilize the "A" lenses will probably work like your AE-1. (Can be used in Av mode).

My ME Super and P30T have diagonal split focus screens, I really like that. Makes me grab one of those more than the others I guess. The SuperProgram has seen a ton of use. The K1000 forcing me to always go full manual is appealing as well.

Heck, just get them ALL !!!

Last edited by skid2964; 11-04-2009 at 02:33 PM.
11-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Just take your pick from any of the manual cameras. They all will work just fine assuming the camera does. Ask yourself what do YOU want.

The film is for more than novelty. It is when you want a different color look than everybody else, when you want *real* BW instead of imitation color converted gray scale and when you what to capture more light in a single shot than your K-7.

Last edited by tuco; 11-04-2009 at 02:36 PM.
11-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With the program series, you maybe give up some classic feel, but you'll be able to use the DA's in program mode.

11-04-2009, 02:52 PM   #5

Original Poster
But the DA's image circle won't fill 35mm?
11-04-2009, 03:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Some do, some don't, and some zooms do both. Works for me

Specifics - the DA70 fills the frame as does the DA40... the 16-45 fills it to about 21mm, wider than that and you start looking like a fish-eye circle.
11-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

K-series MF cams are bigger.
With the M-series, Pentax shrunk their models.
LX is top of the line, Pro spec'd cams, and often the price reflect.
A-series are the last solid feel manual focus cams, with automatic features thrown in.

The MX you're looking at, is a great cam. If you like it bigger, there is the KX.

For a cleaning job and making sure all things work the way they are supposed to, you can send you camera to Eric

11-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Isn't the AE-1 a shutter priority program camera? In that case the Pentax MX, which is stictly a manual camera wouldn't give you the automation of the AE-1. Understand though that the Pentax MX is a smooth little camera, with a light meter, however totally manual other than that, I own one and I love it and it's easy to operate since you can view the shutter speed needed based on the current aperture settings, in the view finder. But I also own a Pentax ME Super, which is an aperture priority program camera, and I used it a lot more than the MX. Both cameras came with the "M" lenses and I don't think either will take advantage of any automation such as the "A" lenses in anything but the non "A" modes. Depending on your selection of Pentax lenses, you might be able to move on up to a more modern film camera. If you have "FA" lenses, I'd look for something a little more modern. Since I haven't owned any newer film cameras than the two I mentioned, you might inquire further as the the later models that might fit your needs.
11-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
Isn't the AE-1 a shutter priority program camera? In that case the Pentax MX, which is stictly a manual camera wouldn't give you the automation of the AE-1.
That's correct: Canon tended to produce shutter-priority cameras where most others made aperture-priority, but a number of Canon A-series shooters I've known just stay in manual most of the time, anyway, since the manual mode's so convenient and all. (One place I think the ME Super just kind of doesn't cut the mustard for me is in the manual metering department.) I'm forgetting if KXes have aperture priority, but that might be a good choice, (was there another) ....Or the K2, which I'm sure does. If you like the needle displays. Nuffin wrong with an MX, either, I think, for manual/LED metering.

As an old Canon FD shooter I think those are probably the most appealing. LXes aside, that is, which... of course. The Super A/Super Program is rather like an A-1's opposite number, and I'm kind of fond of these, too.
11-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
That's correct: Canon tended to produce shutter-priority cameras where most others made aperture-priority, but a number of Canon A-series shooters I've known just stay in manual most of the time, anyway, since the manual mode's so convenient and all. (One place I think the ME Super just kind of doesn't cut the mustard for me is in the manual metering department.) I'm forgetting if KXes have aperture priority, but that might be a good choice, (was there another) ....Or the K2, which I'm sure does. If you like the needle displays. Nuffin wrong with an MX, either, I think, for manual/LED metering.

As an old Canon FD shooter I think those are probably the most appealing. LXes aside, that is, which... of course. The Super A/Super Program is rather like an A-1's opposite number, and I'm kind of fond of these, too.
KX is fully mechanical, manual, with match-needle metering and aperture visible through the Judas window/

KX Data

K2 is aperture priority automatic exposure, match-needle, a stepless 8 ~ 1/1000 shutter, +/-2 EV and some manual mechanical options.

K2 Data

K2DMD has some other bells, such as Exposure Lock and motor drive option.

K2DMD Data

All three are the large-format, Spotmatic body.

Corollaries are close to:

KX = MX

K2 = MESuper (sort of - MESuper was more oriented to consumers)

K2DMD = LX (closer to a professional system camera)

AE-1 = superProgram (Shutter Priority available, but still had the finicky buttons and is not really a professional camera). Can use the "A"contacts on your FA lenses in manual focus

superPROGRAM Data
11-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Think it'd help to know just what the OP likes about the AE-1s in particular, while you can kind of draw equivalents in some cases about what's in the same 'class' certain features and characteristics are all mixed up when you compare the brands.
11-04-2009, 09:46 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Think it'd help to know just what the OP likes about the AE-1s in particular, while you can kind of draw equivalents in some cases about what's in the same 'class' certain features and characteristics are all mixed up when you compare the brands.
Oh whatever. That's why I inserted "sort of" several times.
11-06-2009, 10:11 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I am not a Canon person, but I think it may be possible to adapt M42 and K-mount lenses onto the AE-1. Would that solve the competing systems issue?

Steve
11-07-2009, 10:07 AM   #14
Site Supporter

You can go check out the manuals in html versions or good quality scans in PDF at Butkus' site.

Pentax camera instruction manuals, Pentax professional instruction manuals

I think the only Pentax that will have an AE-1 feel to it would be the MX since it has knobs and is smaller than the K2. However, no program modes or AE or shutter priority.
11-07-2009, 10:42 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first SLR was an AE-1. It served me well but I much prefer my Pentax film cameras.

Chris