Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like the flaming leaves and the rough hewn wood. The rough hewn shot is why I had K25 (I know that was 64) in one of my MX bodies all the time in the 80s. It's medium format in a (film) can.

Now I have my 645, so please don't take any more of my 120 film.

I'm sorry I will have nothing to contribute to this thread.

03-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hope you guys don't mind. I don't have any images of my own (never shot film), but I've always admired the stuff here 4x5 Kodachromes | Shorpy Historic Photo Archive. Never knew what Kodachrome was until I saw that, but I loved it at first sight.
03-21-2010, 06:09 PM   #18
Site Supporter

I briefly checked Ebay, and you can get expired stuff there for 6-10 dollars and the processing is $10. As much as I'd like to go down memory lane, paying MF prices per click for expired film probably isn't that smart. I was never as big a fan of the 64 version. It was the least forgiving and the most red in my experience. But still, it tugs....
03-21-2010, 06:13 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i tossed my last brick (25) in the garbage, the ones with the mailers...i figure no one processes locally so

03-21-2010, 06:43 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I just got rolls 3 and 4 back from Dwayne's. The dates span from October (fall colors) through Spring (just a few days ago). As you might imagine, I am taking my time shooting this stuff. Two of the fall colors shots are the evil twins of similar photos taken with the K10D. First the fall stuff:

Steve
Nice shots Steve!! I really like the "Flaming Branches" one. The orange seems nicer on the film version.

Phil.
03-21-2010, 07:53 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for the kind words. The fall colors were a bit difficult to scan from the slides. The slides look great, but the scans looked gray. I had heard of this sort of thing with Kodachrome, but had not seen it before today. I finally tweaked the scanner and managed to get some life back into the image in PP. In the case of the "Flaming Branches", I would say it was worth the trouble. The image is every bit the equal of the digital version and the digital version was hard enough to process too

I am pretty pleased, in general. My favorites are "Flaming Branches", "Wooden Bridge", and "Plum Blossoms, In a Vase".

Steve
03-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #22
Veteran Member

The slides look great, but the scans looked gray.
Steve
I experience that sort of issue with slides more often than I'd like to admit. Scanning Velvia is even harder.

I may be wrong, however I kinda think that the intensity and colour of the scanners bulb might have something to do with it.
The scanner I usually use for slides at work has an extremely bright, blue bulb. Compared to a projector. 90% of the scans look good, with a quick colour correction, however I rarely see a slide that doesn't require any.
On the other hand, it does an incredible job with most negatives, shot by someone whom knows what they were doing.
03-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Thank you all for the kind words. The fall colors were a bit difficult to scan from the slides. The slides look great, but the scans looked gray. I had heard of this sort of thing with Kodachrome, but had not seen it before today. ...
Indeed, Kodachromes are not quite easy to scan. If you're not already using Silverfast for scanning, this program could help and ease things.
Kodachrome & SilverFast :: LaserSoft Imaging
I do especially suggest a Kodachrome calibration target for calibrating the scanner, that's the ne plus ultra for Kodachrome scanning

Patty

03-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I experience that sort of issue with slides more often than I'd like to admit. Scanning Velvia is even harder.

I may be wrong, however I kinda think that the intensity and colour of the scanners bulb might have something to do with it.
The scanner I usually use for slides at work has an extremely bright, blue bulb. Compared to a projector. 90% of the scans look good, with a quick colour correction, however I rarely see a slide that doesn't require any.
On the other hand, it does an incredible job with most negatives, shot by someone whom knows what they were doing.
One of the biggest issues with Kodachrome is that infrared dust removal techniques (ICE) don't work well on many scanners.

I agree that color negatives and scanners are a perfect match. ICE works without removing detail, and the little extra punch that a scanner often adds is more welcome on a negative than on a slide. The more 6x7 black and white films I clean and scan and spot (and spot and spot), the more attractive the C41 films look. Or, maybe my new addition to the house can spare the room for a darkroom.
03-30-2010, 11:19 AM   #25

gofour3 - Great set, I am especially taken with the license plates.

Steve - It looks like Kodachrome and the Japanese Gardens were made for each other. Great work.
03-30-2010, 06:46 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Portland Pete Quote
...Steve - It looks like Kodachrome and the Japanese Gardens were made for each other. Great work.
Thanks! It was a good day for shooting and I was in the groove.

Steve
03-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Pentax LX, FA 31mm

Pentax LX, M 28mm 2.8

Both are from my first roll of Kodachrome 64, which I got back from Dwayne's last week. I originally bought 2 rolls of the most recent batch when I first heard it was going out of production, since I had never used it before and figured I should try the legend out. When I got that first roll back I liked the resuts so much that I decided to buy 12 more rolls, expired in 2008, on ebay. Call me crazy, but it wasn't too expensive. Now, I just have to go through 324 frames of it before December. I think I'll have to keep one camera as a designated Kodachrome camera until it's all gone.
03-30-2010, 10:01 PM   #28

I got into this photography thing too late. I'll never have the chance to shoot Kodachrome
03-31-2010, 01:59 PM   #29

Was just glancing at the Blue Moon web site. $25 per roll for K64. Yikes.
03-31-2010, 05:16 PM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Portland Pete Quote
gofour3 - Great set, I am especially taken with the license plates.

Steve - It looks like Kodachrome and the Japanese Gardens were made for each other. Great work.
Thanks! I will miss this film and it was sad shooting my final roll last October.

My first Kodachrome slides taken in 1972 on a Kodak Instamatic Camera, still look great!! The archival quality of this film is second to none.

Phil.