Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2010, 10:04 PM   #61
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Colton,
I did much the same thing and have been scanning the slides just this evening. I don't have a lot of keepers, but it was fun all the same.

Steve

12-14-2010, 07:19 AM   #62
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Over the summer I slowly shot 3 rolls of Kodachrome. I didn'tt send them out for developing until all three were ready so that I could save on shipping costs.
I just got them back yesterday so I will post some in groups of when/where they were shot.

Part 1.
Crater Lake, June 2010
Pentax MX, SMC 24/2.8

Nice shots of Crater Lake Colton! My wife and I are booked in the lodge for next June, so I'm looking forward to visiting the area for the first time.

Kodachrome would have been perfect, but alas I will have to settle for Elite or Ektachrome.

Phil.
12-14-2010, 02:22 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Thanks Phil.
I am glad I got to shoot even a bit of Kodachrome before they stop developing.
It was well worth it.
12-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

i will miss Kodachrome these are fine examples of what i liked about it. I have none and with the torpor i manage to finish rolls of ilm lately i woul;dn't get any of it off for processing in time. for landscapes i'll be back to Fuji (Velvia and Provia) but winter landscapes in Kodachrome really work for me (probably because some of the earliest winter stuff i shot was on the same film 37 years ago, that and the old long gone original agfachrome that was available back then, cripes even the replacement is gone now)
I should try out the new Kodak slide films to see if I like them

12-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
I am a bit of a noob with film too, and have only shot the "consumer" stuff so far, Fujicolor 200, Kodak Gold 200, and BW400CN. I am guessing the Ektar will be much better than the Fujicolor and the Kodak Gold, right? Those films just don't seem to be very sharp to me. The BW400CN, when exposed properly looks VERY good to me, so I'll stick with that for B & W. I've also shot a roll of Fuji Superia-Xtra 400, and it looked good, but with all of my film cams having a max SS of 1/1000 400 speed film in bright daylight kind of makes it tough to use DOF for creativity, since you are always shooting at f8 and above.
one thing you will find is slides are a lot less forgiving than negs for exposure, but boy a properly exposed slide when viewed on a lightbox is a magical thing for us old school guys
You should consider trying the Fuji Pro line definitely a nice film, so is the reala film. I've heard lots of positives on Ektar but haven't shot any. Fuji Velvia (the iso 50, haven't shot any of the 100) is an absolutely wonderful film but not for portraits but it makes landscapes just pop. Fuji Provia is the transparency I've shot people with and it worked quite well
Kodachrome was always great, but it doesn't scan easily, and can be very contrasty exposure is key.
the velvia I shoot at 40 but process as 50, a common thing. at this iso you dhould have no issues shooting wide open unless you have a noktilux (f.095)setup on leica or something similar, then focus will be an issue as well the DOF is razor thin on these lenses. certainly at 50 iso on even the brightest days. sunny and f 16 rule would put full sun at mid day at 1/1000 at f 4, plenty of DOF available there, and if you need more use an nd filter (an ND4 even would let you shoot 50 iso in full sun at a ski area or beach at 1/100 f1.4 an nd 8 would let you slow the shutter down to 1/30 at f1.4 or so
really the only filter i carry now is a polariser and a couple of ND filters (grad nd sits at home now but does come along if I'm shooting film. If I have IR film then i drag out the IR filter
12-14-2010, 03:11 PM   #66
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
i will miss Kodachrome these are fine examples of what i liked about it. I have none and with the torpor i manage to finish rolls of ilm lately i woul;dn't get any of it off for processing in time. for landscapes i'll be back to Fuji (Velvia and Provia) but winter landscapes in Kodachrome really work for me (probably because some of the earliest winter stuff i shot was on the same film 37 years ago, that and the old long gone original agfachrome that was available back then, cripes even the replacement is gone now)
I should try out the new Kodak slide films to see if I like them
I just finished my last nine rolls of Kodachrome in October, so it’s farewell for me as well. I also have a film scanner on order, so I can finally post some shots after I get it.

According to Kodak, their Ektachrome E100G is the closest current slide film to Kodachrome. I used the E100GX version back in 2009 and it's also very good. It looks like it has been discontinued though and there is now just the E100G.

After I finish my two year Fuji trial of Velvia 50/100, I’m going back to Kodak for good and use the E100G. Fuji Velvia is good, but I guess I’m just a Kodak boy.

Phil
12-15-2010, 07:05 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't really shoot much transparency now phil, my film cameras all seem to be relegated to b/w most of the time. I'll have to try out a few rolls of ektar once we get by the days i never see sunlight. maybe late january or february i'll get a chance to get out and shoot some.
I need a new scanner myself, but it's not in the budget currently (I have 15 rolls of b/w i need to process as well)
I shot a lot of velvia in the past but the subject matter suited it. I have a different style lately and b/w suits it (must be regressing to my youth)
12-15-2010, 01:35 PM   #68
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ah, yes, I remember her well. I did a photo spread on Kodachrome for Darkroom Techniques magazine in the early eighties - sort of a love letter. I much prefered ASA 25 to ASA 64. Velvia is pretty nice film as well, but I'd give K25 the edge. For dynamic range, though, it was a bitch.

Nice images, Steve.

12-18-2010, 05:55 PM   #69
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Some from the last two rolls (some cross-posted to other threads ):

Trade Center Skybridge

Kodachrome 64, Pentax KX, KMZ MC Zenitar 16/2.8 Fisheye

Fisheye Pan

Kodachrome 64, Pentax KX, KMZ MC Zenitar 16/2.8 Fisheye

Dark Reflections

Kodachrome 64, Pentax KX, Pentax-K 55/1.8

Steve
12-18-2010, 11:59 PM   #70
Site Supporter

Here are a few shots from my last Kodachrome 64 outing in October 2010.
I also just got a new scanner, so these are some of my first attempts!

All photos were taken with a K2 camera, using a K55/1.8 or K28/3.5:

Phil.
12-19-2010, 12:46 AM   #71
Pentaxian

@Steve, I really like your fisheye shots.

@Phil, #3 is great.
12-19-2010, 03:56 AM   #72
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My last two rolls of Kodachrome have just arrived back from Switzerland. I'll post some example images when I have a chance to scan them, possibly in the New Year now as I am spending the holiday season in New York.

K.
12-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #73
Pentaxian

Here are a few more from the summer.

Mt. Shasta as seen from Mt. Ashland.
Pentax K2, Tamron SP 90/2.5 Macro, Kodachrome

Mt. Ashland
Pentax K2, K 24/2.8, Kodachrome

Flowers on Mt. Ashland.
Pentax K2, Tamron SP 90/2.5 Macro,Kodachrome

12-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #74
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Here are a few more from the summer.
Nice! The colours in your scans seem livelier than mine. I’m finding Kodachrome a bit harder to scan than Fuji Velvia. I have to play around more with mine and try to enhance the colours, the reds seems especially way off from the original slide.

Phil.
12-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Nice! The colours in your scans seem livelier than mine. Iím finding Kodachrome a bit harder to scan than Fuji Velvia. I have to play around more with mine and try to enhance the colours, the reds seems especially way off from the original slide.

Phil.
Thanks Phil.

What scanner/software are you using? I'm using a V500 and the Epson software. I have found with Kodachrome, if the slides are well exposed then the auto exposure in the scanner works pretty good. I usually adjust the shadow/highlight clipping a bit and then for some frames, pulling the tone curve up a bit in the middle helps. To me (fairly inexperienced in such matters) Kodachrome seems to have more color shift with over/under exposure than E-6 films. Reds especially seem to come out with a plastic like look if the exposure and scanning aren't just right. I have only shot and scanned 4 rolls of Kodachrome though.