Pentax KX, Kodachrome 64, Pentax-K 55/1.8

T-T-T-That's All Folks!

Steve

(Fades to black and white...)

12-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #77
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Thanks Phil.

What scanner/software are you using? I'm using a V500 and the Epson software. I have found with Kodachrome, if the slides are well exposed then the auto exposure in the scanner works pretty good. I usually adjust the shadow/highlight clipping a bit and then for some frames, pulling the tone curve up a bit in the middle helps. To me (fairly inexperienced in such matters) Kodachrome seems to have more color shift with over/under exposure than E-6 films. Reds especially seem to come out with a plastic like look if the exposure and scanning aren't just right. I have only shot and scanned 4 rolls of Kodachrome though.
Itís my first scanner, so most of my issues are most likely ďuserĒ based.
I got a Pacific Prime Film scanner and it uses CyberView X for scanning and it also came with Photoshop Elements for editing. The scanning s/w has a film selection for Fuji Velvia, so that is most likely why these scans were pretty good with no editing. There is no Kodachrome option, so I used a Kodak E6 film instead.

I just finished editing the original Kodachrome tif scans in pse and enhanced them with auto colour correction. This helped a lot, so Iím about 80% there! I'll update the images in my Photobucket account later on.

Phil.
12-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #78
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
And the rest of the story...

Dying Colors

Glowing Hosta

Vine Maple

Backlit Color

Pt. Success, Mt. Rainier

T-T-T-That's All Folks!

Steve

(Fades to black and white...)
Nice work Steve! The "Vine Maple" shot is really good.

Phil.
12-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #79
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Steve, that looks like a fitting farewell.

12-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #80
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really nice shots by everyone here.
Please excuse me while I live vicariously via your photos - I let the chance to shoot Kodachrome pass me by (probably a big mistake, but at least I can view these on the internet!).
I especially like the first mountain shot by Colton.

cheers!
12-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Really nice shots by everyone here.
Please excuse me while I live vicariously via your photos - I let the chance to shoot Kodachrome pass me by (probably a big mistake, but at least I can view these on the internet!).
I especially like the first mountain shot by Colton.

cheers!
Thanks Jason.
12-19-2010, 11:45 PM   #82
Pentaxian

Well, darnit, I have no more Kodachrome. Here are some old images.

Wintergreen, star moss and birch leaves on a frosty Pensylvania morn - scan of Cibachrome print from Kodachrome 25

Thermal pool at Middle Geyser Basin, Yellowstone National Park - scan of Cibachrome print from Kodachrome 25.
12-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #83

I mailed my last four rolls of Kodachrome out this morning to Dwayne's. Over the past year, I'd bought maybe 24 rolls but without a scanner, I relied on Dwayne's scans. I may get my own one day as a lot of the scans were not like the slides. I have some scans that I shot this summer with my ME and ZX-L I'll need to dig out.
In general, any scans from the labs of my slides have been disappointing.

The weather was mostly dismal, but I shot the last two rolls this weekend in Washington, DC at Washington National Cathedral, and Arlington Cemetery mostly, in a Contax NX.

I rarely shot it back in the day (the Navy, college, early years here) but as many of us did, just marvelled at those images in the magazines shot with a sharp lens and K-chrome!

Dwayne's has a Kodachrome t-shirt now, maybe I'll order one...

Last edited by rt22306; 12-20-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: misspelling
12-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #84

From May at the Joint Services Open House, Andrew AFB.

http://www.pbase.com/image/131283764/large.jpg

Pentax ZX-L with K64, and 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 lens

Last edited by rt22306; 12-20-2010 at 01:51 PM. Reason: include camera data
12-20-2010, 05:37 PM   #85
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
Well, darnit, I have no more Kodachrome. Here are some old images.

Wintergreen, star moss and birch leaves on a frosty Pensylvania morn - scan of Cibachrome print from Kodachrome 25

Thermal pool at Middle Geyser Basin, Yellowstone National Park - scan of Cibachrome print from Kodachrome 25.
Nice shots. I never did try the 25 or 200 ISO versions of Kodachrome.
Too late now.

Phil.
12-20-2010, 05:52 PM   #86
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rt22306 Quote
I mailed my last four rolls of Kodachrome out this morning to Dwayne's. Over the past year, I'd bought maybe 24 rolls but without a scanner, I relied on Dwayne's scans. I may get my own one day as a lot of the scans were not like the slides. I have some scans that I shot this summer with my ME and ZX-L I'll need to dig out.
In general, any scans from the labs of my slides have been disappointing.

The weather was mostly dismal, but I shot the last two rolls this weekend in Washington, DC at Washington National Cathedral, and Arlington Cemetery mostly, in a Contax NX.

I rarely shot it back in the day (the Navy, college, early years here) but as many of us did, just marvelled at those images in the magazines shot with a sharp lens and K-chrome!

Dwayne's has a Kodachrome t-shirt now, maybe I'll order one...
+1 for the average scans from Labs, the same goes for enlargements. It’s a hit or miss for both, some will be very close to the original and others way off.

The best scans of Kodachrome I got from the Lab, ended up costing me $7.00 each (minimum 11 & high resolution)!!

For enlargements from Kodachrome slides, the quality was much better when the Labs did inter negatives and printed from them.

Phil.
12-21-2010, 06:15 AM   #87

The link to my image on Pbase is actually one of the better jobs of scanning that I've gotten back (image isn't that sharp...probably from that lens I got for $5 as a Ritz Camera was closing). I plan to try another lab for scans, and if not too great will try to budget for a scanner
in the new year. Scans of Ektachrome too from a place are blah, also. Slides bright, sharp but the scans...

I've had the idea also of buying a slide copier attachment, and shoot the best slides onto print
(or digital if I can find a good match).
12-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I sent my only two rolls of Kodachrome that I am ever going to shoot to Dwayne's on Wednesday via Priority Mail. I hope they get there in time!
12-24-2010, 11:31 PM   #89
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Nice shots. I never did try the 25 or 200 ISO versions of Kodachrome.
Too late now.

Phil.

Thanks. Kodachrome is capable of producing beautiful images under the right conditions, but high contrast is usually a problem. The dynamic range in digital photography is a great asset.
12-27-2010, 08:17 PM   #90
Veteran Member

I just saw on their website that they need to be at the lab by noon on the 30th. I finished my first/last roll of K200 today, and got 20 shots knocked off of my first/last roll of K64, with tomorrow morning being my last real chance to get to frame 36.

Looks like I'll have to overnight it...this will be an expensive couple of rolls of film.