Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2007, 01:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Rewound the Leader Back Inside the Canister!

I was planning on shooting a roll of Ilford Delta 100 Pro, and lorg story short, the film leader is now inside the canister?

How do I bring it back out?

Could I bring it to my local camera store for them to bring out?

06-04-2007, 02:59 PM   #2
Inactive Account

There is a little inexpensive tool especially for that purpose. Also, my camera store would always do it for their customers but that was back in the old days when the guy behind the counter also shot film. I think there is a make-do method using tape, but I can't remember enough to give you the details . Do an internet search, I'll bet you come up with something.

Last edited by jmax; 06-04-2007 at 03:00 PM. Reason: typo
06-04-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
CDP
Forum Member

When I shot bulk film, I used a film changing bag for loading the film loader and such. They're very handy to have around just for situations like yours. You open the zipper, put what you want to work with inside, close the zipper and stick your arms up to the elbow in the cuffs. There is elastic around the cuffs and the material is like a rubberized cloth so it's light-tight. You can pop the end off the film cassette (if it's a standard 35mm cassette) with a bottle opener. If you do it carefully, it won't get bent up. Pull the spool out of the cassette, find the end of the leader, slip that through the slot in the cassette as you slide the spool back in the cassette. Snap the end back on and you're done. Here's a link as an example but you can probably find cheaper ones on E-Bay or Amazon.

Film Changing Bag
06-04-2007, 04:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

take it to a one hour place that does 35mm developing still. They have machines either similar to the plastic tool jmax speaks of, or a machine with a tape "tongue" that slips inside the opening and pulls the film leader out for you.

06-04-2007, 08:50 PM   #5

On a shoot, I once licked a second leader and stuck it into the cassette with the leader wound inside, then rotated the stuck cassette until it contacted the wet leader. Let it sit for a bit and then pulled it out when I extracted the second leader, since they were then stuck together.

I know how it sounds, but it did work!

Tom
06-06-2007, 06:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, y'all, my dad fixed the problem after I pulled the leader back inside the canister for a second time (I'd gotten the camera store to pull it out before), it's in my K1000 now.
09-09-2007, 04:13 AM   #7

i just did the same thing with my last roll of film doh ive fixed it now after reading this but i cant rember if its dark side or light side towards the door ?

09-09-2007, 04:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shane Quote
i just did the same thing with my last roll of film doh ive fixed it now after reading this but i cant rember if its dark side or light side towards the door ?
Doesn't the film only fit in the camera body one way?
09-09-2007, 04:36 AM   #9

when i pulled the cap of the roll of film the flim poped out and land of the floor (i know) i unrolled the film carfully and dusted it making sure i didnt touch the film and i was in a dark room,so im not sure if i wound the film the right way ? and i cant rember if if its looks the same as the last roll i put thru the camera.

can you tell im a newbie lols
09-09-2007, 04:16 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Film will feel different depending upon if it’s the emulsion or backing. I suppose if you did this enough, you should be able to tell which side is which by feel.

I hated nothing more then dropping things in my darkroom. They usually rolled away far enough that it took me a few minutes of careful searching to finally find the item.
09-10-2007, 02:22 AM   #11

i got it sorted i put the film in the bin and brought some more to much mucking around over 3 bucks
09-10-2007, 06:45 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe someone can recall the same thing I am thinking about.

I recall a small feeler that you could slip inside the film canister to pull out the leader. I think I read about it 30 years (roughly) ago.

I have never done this myslef, as I always stopped rewinding when I saw the indicator on the take up stop turning, (or on my PZ-1 I programmed it to rewind with the leader exposed)

If you go back through popular photography publications through the 1970's and 80's I'm sure you will see hints about how to get around this.
09-11-2007, 06:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Matthew

You might want to get this :

204132 Kaiser 35mm Film Leader Retriever

I got some old one that is nothing more than two sliding metal blades . I guess my retriever is about 40-50 yr-old ! It came with Pentax 1958 K and many very cool stuffs