Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2009, 10:13 PM   #1

An MX with a lens for how much!!!!!!!

On a recent trip to Melbourne I wandered around a few used camera places just to see what might catch my eye, even though I wasn't in the market for anything in particular.

The only 2 places with realistic prices for their gear (Camera Exchange and Camera Lane) didn't have anything to warrant me getting my credit card out, so I wandered down past Michaels. There were some bits and pieces in the window, including an MX with an A 50/1.7.

The price - $649 . That works out at about $US 600. They did have another one without a lens for only $500 (bargain!!!!).

I had no idea MX's were so valuable!!!!!

11-10-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Michaels must be busting at its seams with customers flogging off their spectacular bargains...
11-10-2009, 10:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Gee, might be time to put by cream puff black MX on the market.
11-11-2009, 06:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i have two. willing to ship anywhere for US$ 450 each. .

11-11-2009, 07:34 AM   #5

There are some lunatic prices out there

ME Supers, MGs and MV1s are in my experience the cheapest of the mechanical Pentax SLRs. My near mint ME Super cost 28 with the original 50mm f1.7 lens.

K1000s seem to get some of the more insane price tags - I've seen them for 160 before now. I have one, but in all honesty I'd advise a newbie to buy a good ME Super instead. It does more than a K1000, will cost less to buy, and is every bit as good for teaching the basics. Plus you get that sweet 50mm f1.7 rather than the f2 version supplied with the K1000.
11-11-2009, 09:44 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Ha! I just haggled some sucker down to $73 including posta- er, never mind.
11-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Dangermouse Quote
K1000s seem to get some of the more insane price tags - I've seen them for 160 before now. I have one, but in all honesty I'd advise a newbie to buy a good ME Super instead. It does more than a K1000, will cost less to buy, and is every bit as good for teaching the basics. Plus you get that sweet 50mm f1.7 rather than the f2 version supplied with the K1000.
K1000's have gained a cult reputation, which drives the price up quite a lot. They've got some very good features, and they're very solidly built...but none of their benefits directly impact the taking of photos.

People say that you should learn on a K1000. Mostly it's the in-my-day mindset. A closer analogy would be teaching a baby to swim by chucking him into the deep end of the pool.

Having said that, it's the only Pentax that's got the honour of having one of those "Buy this and I'll become better instantly" aura around it, like Leicas or Nikon F3s. It should say something about Pentax that it's the only company whose low-end camera got that reputation. Which is probably why I've seen more ME Supers for sale than K1000s. And with the ME Supers, you the the massive finder, lighter wait, an instantaneously responding meter, less weight, winder option, smaller size, and savings often in the triple digits.

Still, full respect for it being built for 21 years. How many other companies can claim that?
11-11-2009, 10:44 AM   #8

They're certainly solid. I recently took mine out of the wardrobe to add it to the "K1000 serial number database" thread. It weighs 600g!

As I said, a K1000 was my first SLR but if I'd known what else was available on the used market at the time (mid '90s) I'd have been after an ME Super or similar.

11-11-2009, 11:17 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Around here a clean MX with normal lens goes for about $250 CLA'd with warranty at the local used camera place. A K1000 goes for about $125-$150 at the same store. A KX or K2 is about the same. Most other K-mount cameras (except LX) go for $80 or less.

Go figure...

Steve
11-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

i sold my very nice condition MX here for $100 with an Erik CLA not too long ago
11-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought a super clean MX with an Erik CLA for $100.00 not too long ago.
11-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
People say that you should learn on a K1000. Mostly it's the in-my-day mindset. A closer analogy would be teaching a baby to swim by chucking him into the deep end of the pool.
No, it's because a K1000 has everything you need to learn photography and nothing more.

Chris
11-11-2009, 05:15 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Ha! I just haggled some sucker down to $73 including posta- er, never mind.

Well done mate
11-12-2009, 06:58 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
No, it's because a K1000 has everything you need to learn photography and nothing more.

Chris
Aye. And a pool's equipped with everything you need to teach a baby how to swim. I mean, they're mostly fat, so they float - that's pretty much all you need. Hell, better than that, baby's are instinctive swimmers - it's an evolutionary throw back from the days when we had gills.

That way, if/when the kid drowns, then it's obviously his fault. He's got everything he needs, after all.

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
Well done mate
I only gloat because said sucker already put it in the post. And for which I will leave decent feedback.
11-12-2009, 09:17 AM   #15

I think the problem with the K1000 (for me, at least) is that it's always in Serious Photographer mode. Sure, I can put my K-m into manual mode and try to be a Serious Photographer, I've been learning to use manual lenses recently. But I've got the option of using it as a point and shoot camera when I'm merely trying to record a scene and can't be bothered to fiddle about with settings, or when there isn't time to set it up manually.