Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2009, 09:45 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
Haha… maybe time to look at a rangefinder

I still love the SF1n is a fantastic camera for my all around use. The only issue is that when I take a picture, it goes “CLUCK CHUNK – WHEEEEEEEEE”. Not smooth at all. Good way to get attention. Add a 2.5 foot FA* 500mm lens or something and I’ll be adequately pimped out to scare nature and people alike within a 200 foot radius!

In all seriousness, I took out both the MZ-7 and K20D yesterday. I’d say depending on the lens, the K20D can be a few decibels louder than the MZ-7. Never as quiet.

I now realize that the only way to get a REALLY really quiet camera is to get a rangefinder (maybe an option but so many to choose from… and Leica is out of my income league), or buy a specialized foam-sound-deadening casing (too cumbersome? Would be odd to carry a shoebox with dense foam around church during a sermon). I think I will just have to put up with a bit of sound, but perhaps aim for something more ‘discrete’ than ‘quiet’.

My main complaint with the MZ-7 is the dinky viewfinder that protrudes out of the body. Especially since I wear glasses, my view of the viewfinder is pretty small and difficult to line up properly. But it’s definitely more discrete (in terms of sound and also size) than the K20D.

Top choices at the moment for me:

P3
Super Program
MZ-5N
MZ-M (if I can find one)

But always open to more suggestions.
You should go for a MF SLR. A lot of the loud sound comes from the film winding. On a manual focus SLR, you can choose when and how to do it yourself.
I'm not that fond of my MZ-M, I really like the super A that I got, though

11-13-2009, 09:54 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PZ-70 has a pretty quiet shutter sound, and will do all modes with DA lenses as well as older ones. The AF is loud as heck on my copy though.
11-14-2009, 01:51 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
i'm thinking the PZ-70 is possibly close to my MZ-7?

agree with the comment on full manual camera being the quietest, since most film cameras tend to make the most noise with the automatic winder.
11-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #19
Site Supporter

You folks need to try a fully manual K series body like a KM, KX or K2. There is no noise advancing the film, but the shutter is another story!

The sound of the K2 shutter closing/opening is a thing of beauty.

Phil.

11-14-2009, 02:38 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Anyone who has ever owned an Argus C4 (or Nikon FM2 for that matter) knows that all Pentax SLRs (even the K2) are quiet!

Chris