Velvia 50 is BACK!

ThePhotoStation.net - News - Fujifilm To Re-introduce Velvia 50
Velvia 50 is BACK!!!!!
I hope it is as good as before

11-19-2006, 09:35 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is Velva similar to Kodak Portra? Try that out if you haven't already- the colors are stunning

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-19-2006, 01:33 PM   #3

Mo,

Velvia is a slide film. I think it is closer to Kodak 100VS.

-Pasvorn
01-13-2007, 01:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Does the 50 fix scanning issues like 100F

velvia isn't my first choice for high contrast scenes, that is, as a general purpose slide film but when you need a punch it's a nice choice. I kinda prefer Kodak 100VS though.

For general shooting, I prefer Provia 100F. Highest resolution film on the market.

The problem with the old Velvia 50 was it had scanning issues, pepper specks in the highlight areas. 100F fixed this issue.

I have about 20 rolls of Provia 100F sitting in the fridge. Excellent film for everything and if I need punchy colors I can always push the saturation in post processing. Also, Provia 100F pushes well to as high as ISO 800 (although I usually only push 200-400)

always happy to see new/old films return to market though.

01-30-2007, 11:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Oh how I love my Velvia 50 (rated at 40)
I still shoot film on ocasion, and also shoot Provia 100 and Velvia 100. I just love chromes, esp velvia 50.
The film I truly miss though is Agfachrome RSX 50, now you want color... its like you hired disney to color the scenes w/ that film. Great for saturated sunrise/sets
01-31-2007, 04:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Velvia and My K10D problem...Big Problem

QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
ThePhotoStation.net - News - Fujifilm To Re-introduce Velvia 50
Velvia 50 is BACK!!!!!
I hope it is as good as before
After I heard about the new Velvia, I rushed out to get a few rolls for my K10D...I stuck a roll in the battery grip cause I couldn't find anywhere else to put the film in, so I figured, why not. But when I pressed the shutter on the battery pack the film wouldn't advance. I started to get really anxious. I started hyper ventilating. I was getting physically ill..I spent all this money on Velvia..Where do I put it? Here is the worst. I figured..."No that's not where I used to put film"..Yeeessssss I have to open the back, of course! So as I tried to find the switch to open the back, I realized of course not. It has to be behind the screen. Those smart guys at Pentax..trying to test me Eh??? I was right. After forcibly ripping out the screen I was actually able to jam 2 rolls of Velvia, two Oreo Cookies and a Valium the size of a Hockey puck with an extra Prozac just in case of low light conditions. Don't want to shake.

I took the camera to Pentax once I realized that the film wasn't advancing. They were very nice there. They sent me home with a letter to my therapist that I didn't have to go to work for a whole week.

And they (The Film) and the (Digital Information) lived happily in harmony ever after.

Sweet Dreams
Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 01-31-2007 at 04:22 PM.
03-13-2007, 02:39 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I started hyper ventilating.
Yep. You are becoming a Pentaxian...

03-13-2007, 03:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi Ben,

Are you better

I`m wanting to you start working and seeing your new fantastic fotos.

Regards,
Pedro
03-13-2007, 05:11 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Kodachrome -- They Took It Away

QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
Oh how I love my Velvia 50 (rated at 40)
I still shoot film on ocasion, and also shoot Provia 100 and Velvia 100. I just love chromes, esp velvia 50.
The film I truly miss though is Agfachrome RSX 50, now you want color... its like you hired disney to color the scenes w/ that film. Great for saturated sunrise/sets
The film I truly miss is Kodachrome 64. Fine grain and vivid colors. I think the color reproduction is superior to Velvia: Velvia tends to make the sky purple and the orange and red hues are so saturated that detail is lost.

Right now I'm using Velvia 100F but I'd like a better option. I've used various Ektachrome films as well as other Fuji slide films but I think Velvia 100F gives better results in my photos. I know that Kodachrome is still produced but AFAIK the only processor in the U.S. is Dwayne's Photo in Kansas. I might try using Dwayne's, but the shipping charges make it much more expensive than using E-6 film and processing it locally, especially with the few rolls of film that I now shoot.

The other advantage of Kodachrome is its extraordinary stability in dark storage over time. It will last 3-4 times longer without dye deterioration as compared to typical E-6 films, and it is totally free of the dreaded yellow stain. If you read Henry Wilhelm's book "The Permanance and Care of Color Photographs" you'll learn a lot about slide, negative, print and movie film stability. Both Agfa and Fuji films will deteriorate more quickly than Kodachrome in dark storage. However, Fuji film does last longer under the light of a projector as compared to Kodachrome. Deterioration over time is a very complex subject involving the base material, dyes, processing, storage and use. Digital image files do not suffer this deterioration, but there are similar problems in deteriorating storage media, and obsolescence of the image data format.
05-26-2007, 11:06 AM   #10

I still have some Kodachrome 25 if you want it. (too bad processing isn't available anymore.) I even have the mailers, too (with the old address). I sent a roll of E6 in with one and it came back processed and mounted!

Velvia is back just in time! I'm on my last roll.
05-26-2007, 12:50 PM   #11
Forum Member

I had heard it was gone and than that they brought it back. But, I still have about 10 rolls from a pack I bought several years ago from my dealer sitting in my fridge just waiting to be used.

My favorite film was always Ektachrome 64 [shows you how old I really am]. I first started using it when I bought my Spotmatic in 1967 or 68 [I really can't remember after nearly 40 years]
05-26-2007, 06:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

My mother recently sent me some of the photo equipment that I have had stored at her house for somewhere around 20 years or so. She sent most of what I asked for, and some of what I didn't.

Among the "what I didn't" was a roll of film I had no idea was there.

It was a roll of Ektar 25. Unexposed.

Didn't they stop making that stuff somewhere around 1988?
05-28-2007, 12:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I GOT IT!
I got 5 rolls from Fuji thursday. I am trying to go out and shoot film sometime this week. I am going to do a side-by-side comp to the old 50 that I have
OOOOOO FILM
05-28-2007, 12:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I just used the last of my (original) Velvia in December. Actually that's a lie, I still have ~15 rolls floating around, I ran out of the mailers for them.

Then I saw it was gone (plus the cost of "good developing" in my area have gone up) so I went digital. Good to hear it's back, though, for those who want it. I loved it.
05-30-2007, 01:00 PM   #15
Forum Member

I used to shoot mostly slide, and still have my projector, but I have been shooting color print lately, and have tried many different ones. I've tried portra, superia, kodak gold, but the one so far that I like the best is Fuji ProS 160 color print film. I really loved the greens. I have a dark green paint on my house that most films pick up as barely green (more of a non-descript dark color). The ProS 160 brought out the green nicely. Of course I am Red/Green color blind so what do I know about green anyhow!