Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2009, 07:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 886
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
For reference check the MIR site for the FE family.
Nikon FE Series Main Index Page - The FE, FE2 & FE10
Thanks...ugly site, but great info.

11-15-2009, 07:38 AM   #17
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 283
ME Supers seem to cope with use pretty well. Mine didn't look anything special in the ebay photos, and I mostly bought it as it was a good price for an M50mm f1.7 with a camera thrown in as a bonus. After a good clean and a few days for the smell of tobacco smoke to die away it's a very good example, and I have every intention of putting a roll of film through it.
11-15-2009, 08:10 AM   #18
Veteran Member
Nesster's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,047
Wanna hear a funny thing?

I have Nikon-shame

That is, as I'm deciding which camera to take with me for a trip - college interviews for youngest - rationally, I'd reach for the Nikon as it has the lenses I want.

But, I'm embarrassed thinking it's a Nikon, and that peeps will see it is a Nikon etc. etc.

The Pentax ES-II is much cooler, I think. Only I lack a fast wide angle.
11-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #19
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,158
QuoteOriginally posted by Dangermouse Quote
...After a good clean and a few days for the smell of tobacco smoke to die away it's a very good example, and I have every intention of putting a roll of film through it.
I chuckled when I read that. I bought a Ricoh XR-2s last winter. The picture and description on eBay looked good, but when I took delivery, it was filthy with tobacco residue. Fortunately, the lens cap had been left on and the glass was not affected. It took multiple scrubbings with alcohol wipes and weak ammonia solution to get the grunge off. The camera looks like new now. I had the same experience with my Helios 44M.

Steve

11-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #20
Pentaxian
titrisol's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In the most populated state... state of denial
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,094
The only thing that seems to get rid of the tobacco smell was electrical contact foam cleaner applied liberally over the leatherette, and wiped after a couple minutes

Then the lens mount was cleaned with q-tips soaked in the same thing
all light seals changed

and then some more over the leatherette.

I think is some sort of xylene + foaming agents
11-15-2009, 08:30 PM   #21
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 886
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
The only thing that seems to get rid of the tobacco smell was electrical contact foam cleaner applied liberally over the leatherette, and wiped after a couple minutes
I imagine a fresh new lizard skin would also do the trick

Cameraleather - leather kits for Pentax SLR's

Part of me wants to buy a Super with beat up leatherette just so I'll have an excuse to replace it.
11-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #22
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 886
Original Poster
Well, I couldn't resist, I ordered a Pentax LX from B&H (Condition 9, hopefully that is very clean) to go along with my FE2. As much as I love my FE2 so far I couldn't stop thinking about Pentax (I have a soft soft for Pentax for some reason); and after reading about the LX I was sold. I can't wait to compare both. I have no idea if I'll keep both, but it will be fun to compare the differences in early 80's camera tech until I decide.
11-18-2009, 07:13 PM   #23
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,158
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Well, I couldn't resist, I ordered a Pentax LX from B&H (Condition 9, hopefully that is very clean) to go along with my FE2. As much as I love my FE2 so far I couldn't stop thinking about Pentax (I have a soft soft for Pentax for some reason); and after reading about the LX I was sold. I can't wait to compare both. I have no idea if I'll keep both, but it will be fun to compare the differences in early 80's camera tech until I decide.
Sounds like a death match, though I think the LX has the edge!

Congratulations on owning two classic 35mm slrs!

Steve

11-18-2009, 09:14 PM   #24
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 886
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sounds like a death match, though I think the LX has the edge!

Congratulations on owning two classic 35mm slrs!

Steve
Indeed it is. I now own those two as a well a Voigtlander Bessa R3A. There is no way I can afford/justify 3 separate 35mm systems. So I'm going to have a no holds bar texas steel cage match with them over the next few weeks then sadly put one of the three up on eBay (most likely the Bessa since M-glass is so damn expensive).
11-19-2009, 12:31 AM   #25
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,158
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Indeed it is. I now own those two as a well a Voigtlander Bessa R3A. There is no way I can afford/justify 3 separate 35mm systems. So I'm going to have a no holds bar texas steel cage match with them over the next few weeks then sadly put one of the three up on eBay (most likely the Bessa since M-glass is so damn expensive).
I have been jonesing for a Bessa for quite some time. What has held me back is uncertainty about my rangefinder skills and the cost for a working kit. I started out with a Yashica Lynx 1000 and currently own an Olympus XA so you would think that I would have some confidence in this area.

Steve
11-19-2009, 01:18 AM   #26
Pentaxian
titrisol's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In the most populated state... state of denial
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,094
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Indeed it is. I now own those two as a well a Voigtlander Bessa R3A. There is no way I can afford/justify 3 separate 35mm systems. So I'm going to have a no holds bar texas steel cage match with them over the next few weeks then sadly put one of the three up on eBay (most likely the Bessa since M-glass is so damn expensive).
Interesting match!
The LX is IMHO one of the best systems ever, if it wasn;t for marketing it should have dethroned the Nikon F3. Wish I had one.
The FE2 is a more bread-n-butter camera, but lovely to handle, specially with the Nikkor 28/2.8 AIs and the 85/1.4.

My guess is that after the steel-cage match you'll make space for the rematch, and another rematch, and another.......
11-19-2009, 07:41 AM   #27
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 886
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
My guess is that after the steel-cage match you'll make space for the rematch, and another rematch, and another.......
Ha...sad but true.
11-19-2009, 07:53 AM   #28
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 886
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have been jonesing for a Bessa for quite some time. What has held me back is uncertainty about my rangefinder skills and the cost for a working kit. I started out with a Yashica Lynx 1000 and currently own an Olympus XA so you would think that I would have some confidence in this area.

Steve
I find it to be pretty easy, but I've also practiced quite a bit with mine. Oddly enough I trust myself more with my Bessa than I do with my FE2 at the moment. However, the bad thing is you can do everything right with one and still miss the focus due to rangefinder inaccuracy. Plus, after joining Reed Reviews I found out a good deal of rangefinder glass has serious focus shift problems, so if you're using one of those lenses (like I am with my Nokton 40mm) that's just one more thing to worry about.

That said, assuming no one will ever make a digital "Pentax LX" I think my ideal digital camera would be a Zeiss Ikon ZM with a 3" live view LCD. I wouldn't mind rangerfinder weaknesses if shooting digital because I could check instantly to see if I missed the shot. Then the live view part would help out with the other rangefinder problem...shooting with telephoto lenses and using ultra-wides without external viewfinders.
11-19-2009, 08:01 AM   #29
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 283
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
I imagine a fresh new lizard skin would also do the trick

Cameraleather - leather kits for Pentax SLR's

Part of me wants to buy a Super with beat up leatherette just so I'll have an excuse to replace it.
I don't dare buy one of them. A friend of mine keeps lizards, and I'd never hear the last of it!
11-21-2009, 07:11 PM   #30
Veteran Member
Stratman's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: St Louis, Missouri U S A
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,464
Speaking of an ME Super, and Screwmount lenses. Will Aperture priority work with a Tak?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
ebay, k-mount, nikon, pentax, screw
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: [US] Super-Takumar 1:1.4/50 mm lens with M42 screw mount cdurfor Sold Items 7 02-26-2010 04:04 AM
Pentax ME SUPER with M42 screw mount thread is this a rarity. vogist Pentax Film SLR Discussion 38 12-06-2009 06:27 AM
Pentax Screw mount to K mount adaptor Sparkle Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 04-14-2009 06:16 PM
For Sale - Sold: F/S: Pentax M42 screw mount Super Macro Takumar F/4 50mm Donkeypunch Sold Items 3 08-11-2008 12:47 PM
For Sale - Sold: FA: Original PENTAX Screw Mount to K Mount Adapter M42 HogRider Sold Items 0 10-21-2007 02:12 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:08 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top