Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2009, 07:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
For reference check the MIR site for the FE family.
Nikon FE Series Main Index Page - The FE, FE2 & FE10
Thanks...ugly site, but great info.

11-15-2009, 07:38 AM   #17

ME Supers seem to cope with use pretty well. Mine didn't look anything special in the ebay photos, and I mostly bought it as it was a good price for an M50mm f1.7 with a camera thrown in as a bonus. After a good clean and a few days for the smell of tobacco smoke to die away it's a very good example, and I have every intention of putting a roll of film through it.
11-15-2009, 08:10 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Wanna hear a funny thing?

I have Nikon-shame

That is, as I'm deciding which camera to take with me for a trip - college interviews for youngest - rationally, I'd reach for the Nikon as it has the lenses I want.

But, I'm embarrassed thinking it's a Nikon, and that peeps will see it is a Nikon etc. etc.

The Pentax ES-II is much cooler, I think. Only I lack a fast wide angle.
11-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dangermouse Quote
...After a good clean and a few days for the smell of tobacco smoke to die away it's a very good example, and I have every intention of putting a roll of film through it.
I chuckled when I read that. I bought a Ricoh XR-2s last winter. The picture and description on eBay looked good, but when I took delivery, it was filthy with tobacco residue. Fortunately, the lens cap had been left on and the glass was not affected. It took multiple scrubbings with alcohol wipes and weak ammonia solution to get the grunge off. The camera looks like new now. I had the same experience with my Helios 44M.

Steve

11-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #20
Pentaxian

The only thing that seems to get rid of the tobacco smell was electrical contact foam cleaner applied liberally over the leatherette, and wiped after a couple minutes

Then the lens mount was cleaned with q-tips soaked in the same thing
all light seals changed

and then some more over the leatherette.

I think is some sort of xylene + foaming agents
11-15-2009, 08:30 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The only thing that seems to get rid of the tobacco smell was electrical contact foam cleaner applied liberally over the leatherette, and wiped after a couple minutes
I imagine a fresh new lizard skin would also do the trick

Cameraleather - leather kits for Pentax SLR's

Part of me wants to buy a Super with beat up leatherette just so I'll have an excuse to replace it.
11-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I couldn't resist, I ordered a Pentax LX from B&H (Condition 9, hopefully that is very clean) to go along with my FE2. As much as I love my FE2 so far I couldn't stop thinking about Pentax (I have a soft soft for Pentax for some reason); and after reading about the LX I was sold. I can't wait to compare both. I have no idea if I'll keep both, but it will be fun to compare the differences in early 80's camera tech until I decide.

11-18-2009, 07:13 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Well, I couldn't resist, I ordered a Pentax LX from B&H (Condition 9, hopefully that is very clean) to go along with my FE2. As much as I love my FE2 so far I couldn't stop thinking about Pentax (I have a soft soft for Pentax for some reason); and after reading about the LX I was sold. I can't wait to compare both. I have no idea if I'll keep both, but it will be fun to compare the differences in early 80's camera tech until I decide.
Sounds like a death match, though I think the LX has the edge!

Congratulations on owning two classic 35mm slrs!

Steve
11-18-2009, 09:14 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sounds like a death match, though I think the LX has the edge!

Congratulations on owning two classic 35mm slrs!

Steve
Indeed it is. I now own those two as a well a Voigtlander Bessa R3A. There is no way I can afford/justify 3 separate 35mm systems. So I'm going to have a no holds bar texas steel cage match with them over the next few weeks then sadly put one of the three up on eBay (most likely the Bessa since M-glass is so damn expensive).
11-19-2009, 12:31 AM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Indeed it is. I now own those two as a well a Voigtlander Bessa R3A. There is no way I can afford/justify 3 separate 35mm systems. So I'm going to have a no holds bar texas steel cage match with them over the next few weeks then sadly put one of the three up on eBay (most likely the Bessa since M-glass is so damn expensive).
I have been jonesing for a Bessa for quite some time. What has held me back is uncertainty about my rangefinder skills and the cost for a working kit. I started out with a Yashica Lynx 1000 and currently own an Olympus XA so you would think that I would have some confidence in this area.

Steve
11-19-2009, 01:18 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Interesting match!
The LX is IMHO one of the best systems ever, if it wasn;t for marketing it should have dethroned the Nikon F3. Wish I had one.
The FE2 is a more bread-n-butter camera, but lovely to handle, specially with the Nikkor 28/2.8 AIs and the 85/1.4.

My guess is that after the steel-cage match you'll make space for the rematch, and another rematch, and another.......
11-19-2009, 07:41 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My guess is that after the steel-cage match you'll make space for the rematch, and another rematch, and another.......
Ha...sad but true.
11-19-2009, 07:53 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have been jonesing for a Bessa for quite some time. What has held me back is uncertainty about my rangefinder skills and the cost for a working kit. I started out with a Yashica Lynx 1000 and currently own an Olympus XA so you would think that I would have some confidence in this area.

Steve
I find it to be pretty easy, but I've also practiced quite a bit with mine. Oddly enough I trust myself more with my Bessa than I do with my FE2 at the moment. However, the bad thing is you can do everything right with one and still miss the focus due to rangefinder inaccuracy. Plus, after joining Reed Reviews I found out a good deal of rangefinder glass has serious focus shift problems, so if you're using one of those lenses (like I am with my Nokton 40mm) that's just one more thing to worry about.

That said, assuming no one will ever make a digital "Pentax LX" I think my ideal digital camera would be a Zeiss Ikon ZM with a 3" live view LCD. I wouldn't mind rangerfinder weaknesses if shooting digital because I could check instantly to see if I missed the shot. Then the live view part would help out with the other rangefinder problem...shooting with telephoto lenses and using ultra-wides without external viewfinders.
11-19-2009, 08:01 AM   #29

I imagine a fresh new lizard skin would also do the trick

Cameraleather - leather kits for Pentax SLR's

Part of me wants to buy a Super with beat up leatherette just so I'll have an excuse to replace it.
I don't dare buy one of them. A friend of mine keeps lizards, and I'd never hear the last of it!
11-21-2009, 07:11 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Speaking of an ME Super, and Screwmount lenses. Will Aperture priority work with a Tak?