Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2009, 07:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax ME Super + Screw Mount Glass

I'm currently trying to decide between a Pentax ME Super and a Nikon FE2 for a film SLR set up. However I have one issue, I really want an 85mm lens and Pentax K-Mount 85mm's are hard to come by and usually really expensive when you do find one. Where as there are tons for the Nikon F mount on eBay. One possible solution would be to get one of the old screw mount 85mm's (either the Jupiter or TAK). Are there any issues using one of these via a k-mount adapter on an ME Super?

Are people just hanging onto their K-mount 85's or did Pentax just not make many 85mm's? I was shocked to see so few results on such a popular focal length when scouring eBay.

11-12-2009, 08:58 AM   #2

There shouldn't be any problems at all, the ME Super doesn't have any electronic connection to the lens. Make sure you buy a genuine adapter as some of the third party ones seem to cause problems with focussing to infinity.
11-12-2009, 09:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks a lot; and will do...if I decide to go with the ME Super that is. I really like small size and the giant viewfinder that the ME super offers over the Nikon FE2, but I like the 1/250th flash sync on the FE2...and more options at 85mm's. This is a tough one. I keep going back and fourth.
11-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #4

Im not sure how much ME Supers are going for in your part of the world, but I picked up a near mint one with Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 lens (which consistently gets good reviews here and will fit a Pentax DSLR too) for 36 including postage recently. They're cheap enough that you can buy one, try it, and if you don't like it then you can sell it on again for at least what you paid for it.

I may have been a tad hasty earlier - upon reading the ME Super manual it has this to say about using the screw mount adapter:

"Conventional screw-mount Takumar lenses (both Super-Takumar and SMC Takumar) can be easily mounted onto your camera by attaching them first to the Mount Adaptor K. However, when Adaptor K is used, the following is true:

1. Due to the difference in coupling systems, the automatic diaphragm will not function.

2 . Full - aperture metering lenses will function as stop-down metering lenses"

Taken from Page 38 of Pentax ME Super manual

I assume that this means that the camera will not hold the aperture wide open then stop down for the photo, as it will with native K mount lenses? I know that they will physically fit onto the camera with the adapter but I don't own any M42 lenses.

11-12-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Speaking as a film camera person first, then a pentaxian... I bought a FE because of the lens availability and cost consideration, though for me it had more to do with 24mm and wider and the fast 28/35's... The Nikon is silky smooth, the metering display on the FE is beautifully done. A wonderful camera.

I don't have a ME Super, but have a KX and a Program Plus, both also wonderful cameras. It's just that the FE seems to have more things right about it. But then, I'm not interested in further compatibility with the Nikon, forwards into modern cameras. With Pentax I am interested in this.

---
RE the Takumar compatibility thing - yes, you set the lens to M and stop down by hand, but the camera auto meters at that point. You do not have auto aperture. It isn't as bad as it sounds... the FE (but not FE2) is pre-Ai compatible, you stop down to meter but the camera retains auto aperture.
11-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Really good info all the way around. Thanks again. Truth be told I'll most likely end up getting both the FE2 and an ME Super, I just have to decide in which order. I've been on a weird camera journey the last year. Sold my K10D for a D200, then sold the D200 for an E-P1, then I picked up a Voigtlander Bessa R3a on a whim and next thing I know I've fallen in love with film (and rangefinders specifically). As a result I just sold my E-P1 and picked up a used Canon G10 (because I do have to have some sort of a digital camera).

I've just never found a digital camera that agreed with me. I really wish someone would make a fully manual digital like an FE2. I just miss the old early 80's era view finders. Even today's full frame camera's can't match some of the best ones from 25 years ago IMHO.
11-13-2009, 02:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have both the Fe and the ME Super
Glass of both is outstanding so you can not go wrong

M42 glass in the ME Super allows for stop-down metering only, while a K-mount 85mm will allow for open metering; same as Nikons

For k-mount glass check the Focal brand, or the Sears and JC Penney brands. Some of those were Sekkor or Yashinon/Tomioka lenses
11-13-2009, 07:33 AM   #8

The Nikom Fe is nothing to sneeze at.

11-13-2009, 07:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The other day when I had a cold I sneezed on mine though
11-13-2009, 11:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I decided to go ahead and get the FE2. I saw a black one in absolutely perfect condition up on eBay and I figured I wouldn't find a cleaner one. However, I've decided I also want an equally mint ME Super even though it fills basically the same role. Oh well, they will look nice on the mantle one day if nothing else
Attached Images

11-13-2009, 01:38 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Well, I decided to go ahead and get the FE2. I saw a black one in absolutely perfect condition up on eBay and I figured I wouldn't find a cleaner one. However, I've decided I also want an equally mint ME Super even though it fills basically the same role. Oh well, they will look nice on the mantle one day if nothing else
I'd really much rather be shooting an FE2 than an ME Super, myself. The former's really one of my favorite cameras ever: only problem being that Nikon couldn't get me in digital.

No worries, though: there are plenty of nice Pentax film bodies to choose from, too, (which I'd also rather shoot than the ME Super, great as mine is to sneak into a little bag for when I need to carry fairly light with digital: I don't want to be without film, ever. If only they hadn't decided to make manual metering be an absence of two lights on either corner of the finder. I'm getting too slow for that. Big reason it was down to Nikon and Pentax for me to begin with For me, I lean toward a KX or LX for a classic film body, and an MX or K2 would do nicely, too. Plenty of choices, for when I get myself the right Pentax glass. )

For now, I still like my Canon FD stuff, (and there's great 85's to be had, too. My favorite focal length, as many know. Cause I say that a lot. ) I can also carry a bunch of that and take the grip off my K20d and keep the load light-ish that way.
11-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I'd really much rather be shooting an FE2 than an ME Super, myself.
Ditto...or maybe an FM2...

Nothing really against the ME Super. The FE2 was simply a notch above at the time with a price tag to prove it.

Steve

(Really, really wanted an FE2 back in the day...ended up with a XR7...)
11-13-2009, 03:34 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Gorgeous camera Art. Congratulations!

Steve
11-13-2009, 04:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, and yeah, that camera was just too clean and perfect to say no to. I'd love to see a Pentax LX come through eBay in that condition...but if it does it would probably go for about 3 or 4 times what I paid for that FE2. There is a beautiful ME Super ending in 2 days on eBay at the moment. That might have to do for now since they go for about an 1/8th of the price of an LX.
11-14-2009, 12:42 PM   #15
Veteran Member

AWESOME!
The FE2 is probably the Pinnacle of Nikn MF cameras.
Mine was stolen in Iquitos many years ago, now I have a FE, which is as good

For reference check the MIR site for the FE family.
Nikon FE Series Main Index Page - The FE, FE2 & FE10