Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2009, 12:49 PM   #31
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Oh, boy. Looks like there's a lot of work that needs to the M42 lend DB before we even start on the camera database.

I'll begin by adding that 83mm. To be quite honest, I'd never even heard of ti before! What a strange focal length!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-14-2009, 06:01 PM   #32
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Oh, boy. Looks like there's a lot of work that needs to the M42 lend DB before we even start on the camera database.

I'll begin by adding that 83mm. To be quite honest, I'd never even heard of ti before! What a strange focal length!
Maybe the best way to deal with the m42 lens section is to split them into 4 groups.

Takumars, Auto Takumars, Super Takumars, and S-M-C/SMC Takumars. However, the current methods is similar to the way AOHC does them. There list of lenses would be stellar if they had pics of the lens. Either way, perhaps start with the widest and move to the longest focal length and get the variations in that way, at lest the important variations.

BTW, I don't know if you have seen this article or not, but it does a good job of covering the history of the Pentax 85mm lenses which begins with the 83mm.

Early Pentax Takumar Lenses
11-14-2009, 11:10 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
1961 s3/h3

The camera known as the "S3" was presented at Photokina in 1960. They were an improved version of the S2, and had a slightly superior specification - including a top shutter speed of 1/1000 on some production units. Production was sporadic and inconsistent. Cameras with considerable differences were designated S3. For example, some, not all, had couplings for meters on the shutter speed dial. [citation: Asahi Pentax and Pentax SLR 35mm ... - Google Books]

Various sources have the production numbers for this model at 361,215 units built during the production run between 1961-1969. [citation: PENTAX - 60'er Jahre - Pre-Spotmatic] This makes them relatively plentiful compared with the models made in the late 50's.

Collection of Seaain Gray

Perhaps the most important evolutionary feature of this camera was not the body itself, but rather the standard lens with which it was equipped. The S3 heralded the introduction of the first of the Super-Takumar lenses equipped with fully automatic iris diaphragm control. These lenses eliminated the manual presetting of the diaphragm as was necessary with the earlier auto-Takumar semi-automatic lens mechanism.

It is worth noting that a small number of early pattern lenses of this specification were designated "Auto-Takumars" though these lenses were, in fact, identical to the fully automatic Super-Takumar. [citation: History of Early Pentax]

There were slight differences between these early pattern Auto Takumars and the Super Takumars that followed. The screening was different, and the aperture ring stops down counterclockwise whereas on the Super takumars it stops down clockwise.

These 55mm f/1.8 "Auto Takumars" are optically the same design as the 1958 "Zebra" lens but with newer barrel, shorter close focus distance, and fully automatic diaphragm mechanism. They are also completely black, which set the standard "look" for Takumar lenses for more than 20 years. They are in fact the first "Super-Takumar." From this point forward 49mm is Pentax standard filter size, instead of the earlier 46mm. [citation: Early Pentax Takumar Lenses]

The following photos are of two Auto Takumar lenses showing a more common variant on the left and a more unique and rare version on the right. As a practical matter the lenses are the same, but the screening is quite different. The lens on the right is from earlier in the production run.

Honeywell also distributed an S2 in the form of an H2 in the United States. A full black trim body version of the S2/H2 was available as an option. Note the "Auto Takumar" lens on the following camera.

As a practical matter, because this camera was a transitional model, it is historically accurate to equip this camera with any number of earlier "true" Auto Takumar lenses. Here this H2 is depicted with one of my all time favorite lenses, the 1958 55mm f/1.8. This lens is the immediate ancestor of the all black Auto Takumar that came standard with the S2/H2, and was originally sold only with the Pentax "K." I have seen some evidence that H2 and S2 models could be ordered from the factory with one of these earlier lenses. It would not have been unusual in the 1960-61 timeframe for an owner of one of these cameras to pair it with a lens from a 1958-59 model.

The following photo depicts my Chrome S3 with a wide array of Auto Takumars and a very nice vintage bag and accessories. Note that although not all S2/H2 cameras had the coupling for the meter, this one does - it is the small notch visible on the shutter speed dial.

I hope this has been of interest, and your comments are welcome.

Seaain

Last edited by woof; 11-15-2009 at 05:56 AM.
11-14-2009, 11:17 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

Seaain - you are a gentleman and a scholar!

11-14-2009, 11:26 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Seaain - you are a gentleman and a scholar!
Thank you! After the very early bodies, this is my favorite body. It is the one body I tend to use the most.

I really love the S3/H3. Perhaps it is because I too was born in 1960! More to come soon.

woof!
11-14-2009, 11:27 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

Great set of shots!!
11-15-2009, 12:03 AM   #37
Site Supporter

I'm waiting for Woof to post pics of his Metallica or Metallica II or maybe a Pentar.

The book by By Danilo Cecchi cited by Woof is worth having for students of Pentax. It isn't perfect and there are a couple of omissions and an error or 2. However, it is about $400 cheaper than the Gerjan Oostens book. Other sources are brochures, catalogs and advertisements.
11-15-2009, 12:04 AM   #38
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Thank you! After the very early bodies, this is my favorite body. It is the one body I tend to use the most.

I really love the S3/H3. Perhaps it is because I too was born in 1960! More to come soon.

woof!
Now I know who kicked my arse over that black H3.

11-15-2009, 01:54 AM   #39
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Maybe the best way to deal with the m42 lens section is to split them into 4 groups.

Takumars, Auto Takumars, Super Takumars, and S-M-C/SMC Takumars. However, the current methods is similar to the way AOHC does them. There list of lenses would be stellar if they had pics of the lens. Either way, perhaps start with the widest and move to the longest focal length and get the variations in that way, at lest the important variations.

BTW, I don't know if you have seen this article or not, but it does a good job of covering the history of the Pentax 85mm lenses which begins with the 83mm.

Early Pentax Takumar Lenses
Not a bad article- it looks similar to the one Ole and I put up on mosphotos.com, except, of course, it deals with the Takumars rather than K mount lenses.

I don't want to make any further sub-divisions in the Takumar section to avoid clutter, and since the search engine in that section is great, you're bound to find whatever you're looking for, if it's there.

With that said, I think the plan should be to fix up the current m42 db before adding a list of m42 bodies, or a list of m39 lenses/bodies. I unfortunately don't have the time to research everything right now

If you could point out which lenses aren't optically idential to their later versions, I can go ahead and split the listing up into different parts. Feel free to look at them all at a time, or just go one-by-one as time permits.

That's quite a collection there, woof! I really like the large silver cap with the Asahi logo on it We could use those pictures in the m42 db later down the road, if you're OK with it, of course.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-15-2009, 05:51 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That's quite a collection there, woof! I really like the large silver cap with the Asahi logo on it We could use those pictures in the m42 db later down the road, if you're OK with it, of course.
I'd be happy to do individual shots of each of these. I have more.

woof
11-15-2009, 06:39 AM   #41
Veteran Member

1961 Asahi Pentax S1/H1

The S1/H1 model was introduced in 1961 as an economy model option to the S2/H2 and S3/H3. They were supplied with a "kit" lens of the 55mm f/2 Auto Takumar that was also standard on the S2/H2, or the "economy" 55mm f/2.2 Auto Takumar. The shutter speed dial was calibrated up to 1/500th of a second, making this camera appear to be significantly slower than the up market H2/S2 and H3/S3.

This was more appearance than real however, since the 1/1000th setting still exists and can be accessed simply by turning the dial past 1/500th and selecting the non-indicated 1/1000th setting. The speed dial was the only thing changed and mechanically the camera remained basically an H3/S3. [citation: see: Asahi Pentax and Pentax SLR 35mm ... - Google Books]

These cameras actually turn out to be relatively rare. Only about 46,500 units were made between 1961 and 1963. This makes them the fourth rarest production model after the "S," "AP," and "K." They are actually rarer than the "Pentax S2 Super," a camera that is much sought after. Overall, they are not better of worse than their S2/H2 and S3/H3 counterparts, and they have a bit of additional interest given their rarity and their "economy" subterfuge. [citation: see: Cameras of my collection - the Original Asahi-Pentax]

The following example is presented in its full "economy" configuration with a very nice Auto Takumar 55mm f/2.2. Just as camera body itself was more a marketing trick than truly an economy model, the Auto Takumar 55mm f/2.2 is very similar to the Auto Takumar 55mm f/2.0 and was specifically made to distinguish the lower priced series. [citation: Early Pentax Takumar Lenses]

Please let me know if you have any additions or comments about any of the above. Thanks!
11-16-2009, 02:40 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I've been hoping on such a page for a while now. At the photo lab I'm working in we seem to have someone asking for info about some screwmount every week or 2.
Not to mention I'm still looking for one, with plans of just using it in the studio from time to time.
02-23-2010, 08:45 AM   #43
Banned

Hi there if any one is interested there is a early Tower camera with 50mm f2.8 @ shopgoodwill.com page1 item #5848495.ship to US only
02-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #44
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kryss Quote
Hi there if any one is interested there is a early Tower camera with 50mm f2.8 @ shopgoodwill.com page1 item #5848495.ship to US only
I can't tell much about it other than either the description or the picture is wrong. They are showing a "range finder" cam in the pics so I'm inclined to believe that the description is wrong.
02-23-2010, 12:53 PM   #45
Banned

My field Macro set up.

Hi,heres a few shots of my Walkabout Macro gear,saves me the bother of the big tripod and all my flat field lenses are very light to carry around.

Pentax H1a s/n 1534148 c/w 105mmR f3.5 Novarflexar
Canon EX 50/1.8 flat field
Wollensak 2" f4.5
Wollesak162mm f4.5
Novaflex bellows,pistol grip & dual cable release.
Attached Images