Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax M42 Bodies

Since we've got all the Takumars covered in the Lens Review Database now, I'm looking to create a comprehensive list of M42 screwmount film bodies to add to the Camera Reviews/Info section as well.

Does anyone have any pointers as to where we should start with a project like this, or would anyone be willing to help contribute to it?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-13-2009, 12:54 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Since we've got all the Takumars covered in the Lens Review Database now, I'm looking to create a comprehensive list of M42 screwmount film bodies to add to the Camera Reviews/Info section as well.

Does anyone have any pointers as to where we should start with a project like this, or would anyone be willing to help contribute to it?
Adam, just to be sure: you're talking about PENTAX screwmount film bodies, don't you? The thread title says so, but in your text it's lost.
11-13-2009, 12:55 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Right, just the Pentax ones.

I really don't know much about them beyond the Spotmatics and the ES

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-13-2009, 12:58 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the types and dates for Pentax screwmount bodies, we could check this site: Asahi Optical Historical Club.

11-13-2009, 01:10 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
That site's layout is very confusing, but it seems comprehensive. Likely a good start if we were to add some pages to our database here.

Adam

11-13-2009, 01:12 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That site's layout is very confusing, but it seems comprehensive. Likely a good start if we were to add some pages to our database here.
Yeah, I agree on the messy layout of the site . But I think it has quite a comprehensive overview over the cameras made by Pentax.
11-13-2009, 02:01 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Paul Provencher used to have a very good database....
Die Cast Pro - Asahi Pentax Index
could be a decent starting point

11-13-2009, 08:29 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Lots of information on the 110 cameras there as well. Looks like we're missing those as well!

Adam

11-13-2009, 08:51 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Yes, what you say is true
if you want more info I have a few old books on the Pentax family (The Pentax Way) and can help

PS: I see you are in NY, there is a book you should get a hold of:
"The Pentax Way" by H.Keppler; I got mine for $1 at a used book store a few years back.
LOTS of information about Pentax, really a must have for any pentaxian

Last edited by titrisol; 11-13-2009 at 09:39 AM.
11-13-2009, 08:57 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah I have one of those binders from Pentax that has quite a bit of historical info. This database could be quite daunting and I'll bet it's going to be tough to get some original (our own) pics of some of the older Asahiflex models (especially the M37 models). I have a bunch of Spotties here I can take photos of.
11-13-2009, 11:00 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
For now, let's avoid M37 entirely. That system has nothing in common with the current K-mount system, apart from being an early predecessor, and would really only fit in here if we made a "history of Pentax" page (which I actually think would be a nice idea as well later down the road!).

I would much rather be able to use a book as reference than scourge other websites (which are likely based on those same books). I will try to get my hands on Keppler's book.

Adam

11-13-2009, 11:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a M37 Asahiflex if you decide to add it...and a few M42s like the original K....I can take pics and post.... There are a few of us on the site that are into the original gear so we should be able to have some content in that section fairly quickly....
11-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I'd appreciate that! If you could post some good pics of your cameras, I can at least start building an archive of photos for our database.

Adam

11-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Here's some of my K,

11-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #15
Site Supporter

As far as pre-Spotmatics go, I also have a black SV and chrome a SV, both late versions. I also have a Heiland H3, and Honeywell H3 as well as an H2. I also have a Spot F (chrome). I think I have some pics of a Chrome ES II frome before I realized they were a lot less comon than the black version.