Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2009, 07:27 PM   #1

k1000 shooting problem

I recently bought a used Pentax k1000 so I could try out some film shooting to see what it's like. I just got the prints back, and all of them turned out very dark and fuzzy I know it's not the lens(I used my pentax 50mm f2.8) cause it takes perfect pics on my K20. Any ideas On why the pics would turn out like that? Thanks for your help!

11-13-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Not to insult you, but are you actually using the built in light meter to arrive at the correct exposure? It's the needle on the right hand side of the viewfinder. Center the needle, by adujsting the aperture ring on the lens, and the shutter speed dial on the K1000.

If the needle doesn't move, then you'll need new batteries for the light meter.
11-14-2009, 08:17 AM   #3

Original Poster
hehe umm, I know I may not seem smart, but I do know how to do that And yes, the meter does move, and I've learned enough about metering and exposure to tell somewhat if the meter was reading correct. For example I tried taking a picture of a baseball at three different exposures to make sure the camera was working properly, and sure enough they all came back looking basically the same- dark and fuzzy

Now I won't lie to you though, the first time I got the camera and tried looking for the needle, I couldn't find it after a couple pics, I finally saw it out of the right corner of my eye The reason I bought a film camera, was so I could try and learn something new, and to see how a lot of you pros have done it your whole life. And one main things I've learned, is because you only have a limited amount of film, and you can't go back and preview your shots, you think a bit longer and harder about how your going to take the shot.

So any body else have an idea of what the problem might be, and what I can do to fix it? I personally think it's either the sensor or the film, but still not sure. Again, thanks for any help.
11-14-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You did remember to set the correct ASA (film) speed on your K1000, so it matches the film you were using? Best read the K1000 manual to make sure you have set it right.

Phil.

PS: Here is a link to a K1000 manual, the password to view it is "Pentax"

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/mf/pentax_k1000_manual_s.pdf

11-14-2009, 10:48 AM   #5

Original Poster
Nope, I don't think I did that. I'll check into it. Thanks for your help!
11-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When you say the shots look "dark and fuzzy" how are you viewing them?

Are they scans, or are you looking at prints?

But I bet gofour3 nailed it. I expect your shots are very underexposed. Something like the camera was set to ISO 800, and your film was ISO 100.
11-14-2009, 03:05 PM   #7

Original Poster
Yup, the film is ISO 100 and the camera was set to ISO 600 thanks so much for your help and for the manual guys! Can't wait to see how the next set of film turns out now that the settings are all finally correct I'm definitely learning a lot more shooting a little bit with film. One of the hardest things to get used to for me, is not being able to preview your shots! Like I said before, makes you think a lot more about how and what you are going to shoot Thanks again!
11-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fusionimaging Quote
Yup, the film is ISO 100 and the camera was set to ISO 600 thanks so much for your help and for the manual guys! Can't wait to see how the next set of film turns out now that the settings are all finally correct I'm definitely learning a lot more shooting a little bit with film. One of the hardest things to get used to for me, is not being able to preview your shots! Like I said before, makes you think a lot more about how and what you are going to shoot Thanks again!
Enjoy shooting film, hopefully you will have more fun than with digital!

You will get used to waiting for your film to be processed and not being able to look at the results until you get them back a day or two later. Kind of like Christmas!!

Phil.