Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Man, I love craigslist.

I don't normally browse craigslist, living in a pretty small town without a whole lot of Pentax folks. Yesterday I was procrastinating (like I am now!) and came across an ME with M 50/1.4, flash, bag, and a whole bunch of filters for $50. I figured I couldn't lose, even if it was all in crappy shape.

The camera and lens are beautiful! They look brand new, other than the cigarette stink permeating everything. I figure I'll just let it all air out, and I've got some keepers.

Of course, it wasn't anything I actually need. "Going broke saving money" as my stepdad used to tell me!

11-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For every one of those I find two dozen asking $500 for a body and 50mm lens...

"Going broke saving money" - that should be the motto of the big box stores!

Chris
11-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If you've never used this lens, you'll love it. Not ~the~ sharpest 50mm, but still packs plenty of resolving power with an IQ all of it's own. Obviously perfectly feature matched to the camera too.
11-16-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have a beat up but optically perfect M 50/1.7 as well, and that thing is crazy sharp. This one is just so beautiful, I think I'll have to use it!

Oh and the ME is black and in mint condition. I didn't even know they made black ones!

11-16-2009, 12:07 PM   #5

I had a very similar experience with a silver ME Super, came with a 50mm f1.7 and an old generic flash, even had the original Pentax strap. Unfortunately, judging by the smell, the last owner had a fifty a day habit!

It will go within a few days. I managed to reduce it by removing and washing the strap, and cleaning all the little crevices on the camera with a cotton bud dipped in lens cleaning fluid.
11-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have often thought of trying to work out a better way to get people connected to the treasures that can be found on Craigslist every so often. I mean there are times when after seeing two dozen listings for Canon and Nikon gear, you come across a listing for a K1000 with an M 50 or something average. But I do not need a K1000 or M 50 and have often thought of sending a low ball offer so I can pass it on to someone here who may have use for it.
There are probably three listings a week for Pentax stuff in my metropolitan area and 20 times that much for the other two. It is fun to look and be hopeful. Someone once suggested that regardless of how few Pentax users there are, we are always scoping for good glass. I do not have much "good glass" and there are times when I really wish I could pick up some of these deals and share them with a few around the forum. Not looking to make a profit but simply put the right people in with the right used equipment.
But if the listing is really somewhat interesting and seems to not be doing well, I sometimes send the seller a friendly message and suggest that if the sale does not go well they should think about a donation to a local high school or veteran's organization.
11-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

*starts scouring craigslist for another week again only to give up as usual*

Maybe I should just search all film cameras, right now I'm just looking up Pentax and never get anything good.

11-16-2009, 07:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I check in with Craigslist once a week and check out the neighboring states as well. While I'm primarily looking for Pentax, I browse other brands as well. So far I've netted an M50mm f/1.7, a fair ME Super on one outing and a pristine K1000, M50mm f/2, M35mm f/3.5, Hoya 135 f/2.8, Tokina 80-200mm f/4 (still haven't see a shot from the Tokina - roll is still in the camera waiting to be finished when I get the time) on another "trip". There are genuine treasures to be found; some NIB stuff as well - saw a Mamiya 645 last night, but the price tag was too rich for my blood. Also saw an SP5000 <?> with some nice Taks to go with it, but I just don't have the time to pursue it this week.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I enjoy arm chair window shopping and if something really grabs my attention (and fits my budget), I'll try to make a deal. I think if I were actually looking for a specific piece of kit, it might not be as much fun, but prove more frustrating than anything else.

Best to all,
Kevin
11-19-2009, 07:23 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
*starts scouring craigslist for another week again only to give up as usual*
Browsing Craigslist is like an addiction. I don't have any money, but I keep browsing anyway because ... well, if I don't I get chills (not really!).

A real pity, too. I came across a Pentax K2 last week! Had some extras, only for $75!

Edit:
And this today!

3 PENTAX TAKUMAR CLASSIC LENS - $150

I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a 55mm in the K mount, but still. These are not at all shabby.

Last edited by jadedrakerider; 11-19-2009 at 07:27 AM. Reason: More info
11-19-2009, 07:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jadedrakerider Quote
The pics from that ad are very appealing.

I've been using craigslist genie to get the latest pentax offerings, but only bought one lens so far. It's mostly just that dude from Felton trying to get rid of his sub-par lenses and some used bodies.
11-19-2009, 07:53 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by jadedrakerider Quote
Browsing Craigslist is like an addiction. I don't have any money, but I keep browsing anyway because ... well, if I don't I get chills (not really!).

A real pity, too. I came across a Pentax K2 last week! Had some extras, only for $75!

Edit:
And this today!

3 PENTAX TAKUMAR CLASSIC LENS - $150

I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a 55mm in the K mount, but still. These are not at all shabby.
Same with me and ebay. I just keep an eye on how much things are going for so I know whether that "Buy It Now" is a bargain or a crazy price in the hope that someone will bite.

The 55mm Ks do pop up fairly often, so keep your eyes open. They're excellent lenses and the aperture coupling will work with a DSLR, unlike the M42 type where you have to stop the lens down after focussing.

Last edited by Dangermouse; 11-19-2009 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Additional content
11-25-2009, 04:43 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I just got home a couple hours ago with a great Craig’s List purchase. I check often and do not find much Pentax equipment around here and I was surprised to come across this. All for $150.00. The cameras show wear on the outside but the insides are impeccable. All the lenses look brand new and all the glass is spotless.

Kit includes:

Spotmatis SP II
Spotmatic F
Takumar SMC 1:1.4/50mm
Takumar SMC 1:4/50mm macro
Super Takumar 1:3.5/24mm
Takumar SMC 1:3.5/ 135mm
Soligor Auto Zoom 1:4.5 90-230mm
Soligor 1:8 500mm
APS Auto Teleplus 2X
Handsome Carrying Case
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
11-25-2009, 04:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

What is the large item on the left in the case?
11-25-2009, 05:23 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Soligor 1:8 500mm.
11-26-2009, 10:32 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Waldo Humblebee Quote
I just got home a couple hours ago with a great Craig’s List purchase. I check often and do not find much Pentax equipment around here and I was surprised to come across this.
I have to say I thought I was hot shit to get a lightly scratched 55mm Super Takumar f/1.8 for 15 bucks.

You bested me!