Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2007, 06:48 PM   #1
Forum Member

MX vs. ME Super

So what are your thoughts on the pros and cons of these two cameras in relation to each other? I have both (actually two ME Supers I picked another one up at a second hand shop for a price I couldn't pass up) and I seem to be having trouple decidin which I prefer. The ME Super has the advantage of shooting in aperture priority mode while the MX is purely manual, but the MX has DOF preview which I really like as well as a cloth shutter... I know the logical answer is keep both but I keep trying to pick a favorite. What are your thoughts?

06-09-2007, 02:13 AM   #2

I haven´t owned a ME or ME super, but I love my MX for the simple reason that it doesn´t need a battery.

I´m pretty much alot outdoors and seen too many moments of power failure. So, I´d keep the MX.

// Mats
06-09-2007, 06:25 AM   #3
Inactive Account

It's been a long time since I have paid much attention to the MX, but I've owned a couple of ME Supers. It was always my impression that the MX was intended for the professional market while the ME Super was directed at the consumer market. For example, the meter in the ME Super is center-bottom weighted as though it users would only use it to shoot horizontal landscapes!

So, I would expect that the MX might be better constructed although it might be older than an ME Super. (I think I'm right in believing that the MX preceeded the ME Super by at least a couple of years.) On the other hand, probably a lot more ME Supers were sold and their might be a bigger supply of used parts.

I can't remember, but does the MX have mirror lock up? That might be a deciding factor for me if it does.
06-09-2007, 06:36 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
The MX does not have mirror lock up persay, there is a trick where you can get the mirror to lock up by flicking the shutter release or something like that. I am leaning towards the MX myself.

Last edited by Skorzen; 06-09-2007 at 07:37 AM.
06-09-2007, 08:40 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Skorzen Quote
So what are your thoughts on the pros and cons of these two cameras in relation to each other? I have both (actually two ME Supers I picked another one up at a second hand shop for a price I couldn't pass up) and I seem to be having trouple decidin which I prefer. The ME Super has the advantage of shooting in aperture priority mode while the MX is purely manual, but the MX has DOF preview which I really like as well as a cloth shutter... I know the logical answer is keep both but I keep trying to pick a favorite. What are your thoughts?
In addition to what you've already mentioned, the MX is probably a little better built. And I find the buttons for setting the shutter speed on the ME Super to be less convenient than the dial on the MX. The only advantage of the ME Super is the aperture priority which can be convenient for casual use. But you probably have a digital camera for that purpose. The other factor is the condition of the specific cameras.

Since these camera have little resale value, you might as well keep the MX and at least one of the ME Supers.
06-09-2007, 06:09 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
On my copy of the MX I find the dial for setting shutter speed a little stiff. I usually end up having to lower the camera set the speed and then recompose which needless to say is a bit of a hassle. In this respect I actually prefer the ME Super, but is this maybe a case of my camera needing a little cleaning or lubing?
06-09-2007, 10:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

On my both MX bodies shutter speed dial feels "stiff" -- as if you need to almost break something inside to rotate it. K1000 as far as I can remember had much softer shutter speed dial operation. I usually extend film advance lever so I can easily use two fingers to rotate it while looking through the viewfinder.

So nothing to worry about, it appears to be by design.

06-10-2007, 08:40 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess it's just a design quirk of the MX that the shutter dial is a bit stiff because mine's that way, too. I've never owned an ME Super, but I bought an ME when they first came out. In fact, it was my first Pentax camera. Therefore, I can only speak to the feel of both cameras and, to me, the shape of the ME is more pleasing in my hands. On the other hand, I've always been so satisfied with my MX that I've never felt the need to trade it in on an ME Super.
06-11-2007, 11:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The shutter speed dial on my MX is smooth and precise and while "firm" it turns easily. Since all of these cameras are at least 25 years old, it's probably a cleaning issue. Although, mine has never needed any kind of maintainance other than that it needs new sealing foam for the back right now.
06-14-2007, 12:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I only have an MX; pros and cons?

Pros:
One of the smallest SLRs ever with one of the largest viewfinders ever.
Beautifully constructed.
Has every core function one would expect from an SLR, including DoF-P
Good basic metering.
It's a Pentax.

Cons:
None as far as I'm concerned, this camera is perfect.

Cheers!
-Asad
06-15-2007, 06:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

A reviewer who seems to know rates the MX as 1 and the ME as 2. For what it is worth. I have a pdf manual for the ME Super if anyone wants it. Just send me a PM and I will send it as an attachment. PDF files are rather large.
06-28-2007, 07:23 PM   #12
Forum Member

To me, the viewfinder is very important. The MX's viewfinder is one of the best. 97% coverage and pretty bright. A friend of mine just purchased a K10D and let me handle it. I took one look through the viewfinder - YIKES! I'll stick with my MX.
06-28-2007, 07:30 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
That is kind of funny actually, I have a K100D also and got the MX after that. After I have been using the MX for a while the K100D VF seems tiny.
06-28-2007, 08:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Much depends on their condition I guess. I like the MX for its interchangable screen so the viewfinder dust can be blown off. However, being mechanical and old now, the shutter is getting less reliable and requires more frequent service to be kept accurate enough for any serious shooting. The ME Super on the other hand is reliable as long as it keeps clicking. Tough call.
07-04-2007, 10:06 AM   #15
Forum Member

The MX was designed by Pentax as a professional camera system, while the ME Super was aimed strictly at the amateur market.

One crucial difference is that the ME Super does not have a depth-of-field preview, while the MX does.

It's hard to beat the MX for all around ruggedness and dependability. Be aware that any camera that you buy that's 20 years old will probably need servicing to lubricate the mechanisms and replace the foam gaskets, which disintegrate with age. You should figure in the cost of a CLA job into the overall price of the camera.

(BTW, I own three MXs. Sadly they haven't been used since I purchased a K10D. )