Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which one will you buy if you already have a KM..the KX or the K2?
K2 1335.14%
KX 1643.24%
Neither, just stick with the KM 821.62%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2009, 01:08 PM   #16
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Still won't give it up

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
If you're left-eyed, it is an easy choice: The K2.

The KX is the only Pentax which will only meter when the rapid wind lever is poking into your right eye! In other words, with the rapid wind lever flush with the body: No metering.
I had to switch eyes a couple years ago due to vision decline. Even so, I won't let go of my KX (although the K2DMD sees a lot more use now).

11-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by altair Quote
Everyone, thanks for all your very helpful replies. I'm still digesting them, hope I can come to a decision soon!

By the way, the seller sent me some photos of the K2 just now. Everything looks ok, except for a dark smudge on one of the shutter blades. I asked him about it and he said it's not oil, just a dark smudge. He tried cleaning it with naphta & Qtips but it's still there. Perhaps it's just discoloration due to rubbing of the shutter blades? Is this a potential problem?

If it is just a stain, I don't think it would cause any problems. Did you ask about the film speed ring?
11-24-2009, 04:24 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For my money it's the K2 all the way.

You have the option to shoot in manual if you wish and auto if your don't. An awesome array of features: DOF preview, mirror lockup, ASA range fro 8~6400, etc and that great sounding shutter. Even works without batteries. ASA ring issues are blown way out of proportion. Use the K2 for a while and you will get rapidly use to it just as you would the idiosyncrasies of any other camera.

Tom G
11-24-2009, 10:29 PM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks for all your invaluable input everyone. I went for the chrome-bodied K2, got it for $42! But shipping is another $40, so that's $80 in total. Hmmph! Hope everything will be fine with it.

In the end, what made me decide on the K2 is that I'm left eyed, so I really don't want the advance lever to be poking in my eye when I want to meter. I have another SLR that does that, the Konica Autoreflex TC, and that lever poking in your right eye is a hindrance & detracts from the experience. Thanks to the person who mentioned this.

Anyway, now to get some more lenses. I only have 2 normal lenses now in K-mount, the SMC Pentax A 50/2 and the SMC Pentax M 50/1.7. Good lenses, but I'm not too keen on their plastic construction..a far cry from the metal of the screwmount lenses! Are there any metal-bodied/barreled K mount lenses out there? Which one is good? I want a wide angle & a tele.

11-24-2009, 10:50 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Thanks for all your invaluable input everyone. I went for the chrome-bodied K2, got it for $42! But shipping is another $40, so that's $80 in total. Hmmph! Hope everything will be fine with it.

In the end, what made me decide on the K2 is that I'm left eyed, so I really don't want the advance lever to be poking in my eye when I want to meter. I have another SLR that does that, the Konica Autoreflex TC, and that lever poking in your right eye is a hindrance & detracts from the experience. Thanks to the person who mentioned this.

Anyway, now to get some more lenses. I only have 2 normal lenses now in K-mount, the SMC Pentax A 50/2 and the SMC Pentax M 50/1.7. Good lenses, but I'm not too keen on their plastic construction..a far cry from the metal of the screwmount lenses! Are there any metal-bodied/barreled K mount lenses out there? Which one is good? I want a wide angle & a tele.
Check out the "K" series lenses, they are all metal and from the same period as your camera.

Also look at the forum lens review section for more info.

Phil.
11-25-2009, 01:16 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How much wideangle and how much tele? There is a bunch of K series lenses so you would really need to specify a little more to get good recommendations. "a wide angle & a tele" encompasses from 15mm to 300mm with the exception of 40-50mm lenses.
11-26-2009, 02:08 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Apart from the little focusing ring cover, the M 50/1.7 is all metal. A sturdy little lens, treasure it, don't underestimate it!
11-26-2009, 07:29 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Plastic?
those lenses are metal. Yes they have a small rubber ring to give you better hold but thay ain't no plastic
The 50/1.7M is a great lens, and the 50/2 is a good one (the difference between A and M IIRC is the electronic contacts only)

wide angle? how wide? a 28/2.8 used to be the standard and those should not be too expensive
Tele - how big? I'd like a 200 but have the 135M is a good compromise