Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which one will you buy if you already have a KM..the KX or the K2?
K2 1335.14%
KX 1643.24%
Neither, just stick with the KM 821.62%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2009, 01:38 AM   #1

I can only buy one camera this month - KX or K2?

Hello all! My wife and my shrinking budget for this month means I can only buy one camera over the next 30 days, haha. So please help me choose between an Asahi Pentax KX or an Asahi Pentax K2. Let me know which one you will go for and why. If possible, also provide a rough estimate of how much one in good working condition should cost.

I already have an Asahi Pentax KM, and I love it. However the temptation of the KX's shutter sound and shutter speed & aperture displayed in the VF is too much for me. However, I wonder if upgrading from a KM to a KX is worth it..does the shutter speed & aperture display in the VF justify purchasing it?

I am more severely tempted by the K2, seems to me that the vertical metal focal plane shutter is more robust than the cloth on the KM & KX, and I read somewhere the shutter sound of the K2 is simply sublime. The K2 is more full featured as well..and mirror lock up ability, full manual or Auto Aperture Priority exposure too! BUT therein lies the rub, all the electronics governing the electronic shutter & the K2's dependence on batteries makes me a bit nervous. How well & how long does the electronics last?

So guys, please help me out, I need to decide in 3 days..thanks in advance!

-A guy who is desperately staving off GAS

11-20-2009, 02:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"Neither, just stick with the KM"... Until you have saved enough money to buy an LX

I've never tried a K2, nor a KM. But the KX is my favorite camera and I'm sure you would not regret getting it. Works in all weather with or without batteries. And it shows both shutter speed and aperture in the viewfinder, which the K2 doesn't if I have understood this right.
11-20-2009, 02:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

K2.

get the black one.

==
11-20-2009, 05:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Adorama on ebay just auctioned a black K2 - went for $50, with one bidder.

Neither camera will be the key to you shooting more or better photos. The KM will do that just as well.

Ok that's out of the way... so yep the KX viewfinder info is great, and the K2 has the automation. (The Nikon FE has both the KX viewfinder and the K2 automation by the way, but of course is a Nikon )

If you are currently justifying your GAS by feature set, I can't help you. My recommendation is this: whichever model you find first at a price you are comfortable with and in the condition you want, that's the one that is meant for you right now. Kismet. I've noted when I go chasing for something, I often over pay and/or buy myself problems. When I let the web-godz guide me, they seldom let me down.

11-20-2009, 06:29 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have all three of those Pentax bodies, the K2, KX and KM. Though I must admit I just got the KM a few months ago and am getting used to it. (It’s basically a bayonet mount Spotmatic)

My choice would be the K2 as long as you can find one within your budget and it has/will be CLAed by Eric. An estimate for a good condition K2 that will still need a CLA is $100-$150. Of course you can always get one cheaper if you luck out on an eBay auction.

The KX is a great camera, which I have owned since the mid 70’s when it came out. I got a K2 last year and it has gradually become my favorite. The K2 has a better shutter, film advance and mirror lockup system than the KX and yes the sound of the shutter is sublime! Just one issue with the K2 and it’s the ASA ring; this takes a little getting used to but after awhile you forget about it.

Phil.
11-20-2009, 06:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

For me, the ASA dial on the K2 is overly fussy, but the Av is nice. I've thought about getting another K body (I sold my K2 and K1000 -- a mistake!), but an LX can be had so cheaply these days, I might hold out for one of those instead.
11-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K2 has an electronic stepless shutter that can also operate manually. If you get an additional body, I'd go with the K2 since you have a KM. Though they share similarities, in reality the K-series bodies are actually different from each other. That's all I have to say about that.

11-20-2009, 10:57 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
For me, the ASA dial on the K2 is overly fussy, but the Av is nice. I've thought about getting another K body (I sold my K2 and K1000 -- a mistake!), but an LX can be had so cheaply these days, I might hold out for one of those instead.
If I sold both my K2 including a black one, SuperProgram, and ME F, I may be able to get an equivalent condition LX but doubt it. Keep in mind the LX would have to have been cla'd recently to be in equivalent condition and an LX cla is ~2x as much as one for K body.
11-20-2009, 07:14 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I own all three - KM, KX and K2.
Without question the KX is my favorite.
My advice is to get one while you can...

Chris
I've had a black KX since 1977. The others have nice bells and whistles, but I always go back to the KX.
11-20-2009, 07:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I wouldn't call the shutter in the K2 a bell-and-whistle considering that body was in the planning with the unveiling of the Metallica II at the 1966 Photokina.
11-20-2009, 08:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

It depends on your shooting preferences. If you shoot manually exclusively, then go for the KX & avoid the needless complications & potential problems of the automated mechanisms of the K2. If you employ semi-auto metering regularly, then by all means go for the K2. Either way you'll get a great camera. As I rarely feel the urge to leave the manual mode, especially when shooting film, I employ a KX & MX as my bayonet bearing buddies.
11-20-2009, 09:46 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
It depends on your shooting preferences. If you shoot manually exclusively, then go for the KX & avoid the needless complications & potential problems of the automated mechanisms of the K2. If you employ semi-auto metering regularly, then by all means go for the K2. Either way you'll get a great camera. As I rarely feel the urge to leave the manual mode, especially when shooting film, I employ a KX & MX as my bayonet bearing buddies.
I like the step-less shutter though, especially on slide film. It works fully manual also. There really isn't a bad K series body except for the last run of the K1000 that had too many plastic parts.
11-20-2009, 10:23 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bells and Whistles

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I wouldn't call the shutter in the K2 a bell-and-whistle considering that body was in the planning with the unveiling of the Metallica II at the 1966 Photokina.
Blue: I have a chrome K2 again (came in a camera bag I bought for $100 for the pristine M50/1.7 and M100/2.8) that needs a CLA. I have the K2DMD. You are correct - there's nothing in Pentax colors quite like the Seikosha stepless electronic shutter with titanium curtains and when I'm in the mood nothing - NOTHING - beats a K2.

But for all of that, when I just want to go play with a camera and some film, I load up the KX, take the K28, the K35 and their shared hood in a shoulder bag and just have fun.
11-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #14
Ole
Administrator

If you're left-eyed, it is an easy choice: The K2.

The KX is the only Pentax which will only meter when the rapid wind lever is poking into your right eye! In other words, with the rapid wind lever flush with the body: No metering.
11-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #15

Original Poster
Everyone, thanks for all your very helpful replies. I'm still digesting them, hope I can come to a decision soon!

By the way, the seller sent me some photos of the K2 just now. Everything looks ok, except for a dark smudge on one of the shutter blades. I asked him about it and he said it's not oil, just a dark smudge. He tried cleaning it with naphta & Qtips but it's still there. Perhaps it's just discoloration due to rubbing of the shutter blades? Is this a potential problem?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
FDMAVICA  Photo