Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2009, 11:39 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gabriel_bc Quote
Hey Keyser! The only reason I managed to snag that one was I saw it pop up on craiglist (I was looking for something else) and I shot him a reply like 2 seconds after it popped up. When I picked up the camera he said that there were 7-8 guys in line after me...
Alright, you get the credit for finding that one then!

11-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by gabriel_bc Quote
Hey Keyser! The only reason I managed to snag that one was I saw it pop up on craiglist (I was looking for something else) and I shot him a reply like 2 seconds after it popped up. When I picked up the camera he said that there were 7-8 guys in line after me...

Yes, that K2 was one of those "scores" to be sure.

I see stuff like this on the 'bay, and wonder - have these folks never heard of a "completed listings" search? There's even a M50/2 up there for over $300 right now - I think the guy doesn't understand 1:2 vs 1.2 ....
I see that one pretty often (1:2 is an f2, not an f1.2!).

I tend to look at any nondescript listings - for example if it just says "Pentax lens". Sometimes these are unusual and desirable items that most bidders won't have noticed.
11-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
Oh..one more thing on the CA site...shipping from Canada can be reasonable, but it depends on the shipping size/weight and the destination. Austrailia/New Zealand can be OK if the package is small and light but one you go over the limit, the prices get silly. Canada Post wanted over $150 to ship a lens I just sold to another forum member. Normally, for thta service and distance, I would expect $30 to $40. I ended up shipping for $20 but it's going to take 6 weeks. I felt quite bad about it.....

Back to the pricing issue.....seems to me that prices of older Pentax gear is going back up again....
Yeah I've yet to buy any lenses from ebay further away than Australia, adding the extra $40 plus the exchange rate has put me off so far. But the NZD is up at the moment, 6 months ago it was down to 60 cents US, now its around 73.

With regards to the older gear I suspect its cause maybe Pentax DSLRs are getting a bigger market share? I'm kinda lucky in that respect as my interest in pentax is with manual film cameras so I don't need to pay the higher prices for A lenses. There are also a lot of cheap adapters on ebay now too. So this may be adding to the demand. This is the up/down side to the internet I guess it gives you access to a lot more gear but also theres a lot more knowledge of whats available and its value. I remember when I was a bit younger (before the internet ) and getting in guitars being able to find nice guitars and effects pedals in pawnbrokers pretty cheap now the same gear is fetching what I'd call premium prices online. I think the same has happened with older camera gear.
11-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dangermouse Quote
I see that one pretty often (1:2 is an f2, not an f1.2!).

I tend to look at any nondescript listings - for example if it just says "Pentax lens". Sometimes these are unusual and desirable items that most bidders won't have noticed.
I have heard it go the other way though. People list as an f2 so it gets ignored, but if you look at the lens it's actually a f1.2!

I wonder if that's really an urban myth!

11-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #20

If it's a possible typo, then it's probably been on ebay at some point. That would be why I wade through the results for "Pentax 50mm" on a regular basis to see if anything tasty has popped up. Luckily this doesn't take too long on ebay UK.

I remember New Scientist's "Feedback" page once featuring a chap who'd accidentally typed "the human from" rather than "the human form" and got an awful lot of biology sites saying things like "two legs are an integral part of the human from"!
11-22-2009, 07:54 PM   #21

Pentax Mz- 10 Camera

you cant let this one slide.
11-22-2009, 08:38 PM   #22

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mikengstrom Quote
at least it is in good condition!

pentax mv 1 for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

check out the rock on the rear element
this gave me a good laugh
11-22-2009, 09:46 PM   #23
Inactive Account

The last two times I fell for slick eBay ads, I got burned. Really badly.

I always hated slick ads before that, but I gave into temptation. You know, ads just like in the OP - full of unbridled optimism, hype and telling you next to nothing about the actual item (the you'll actually get, not just the entire model line,):

"This is a fantastic camera, produced by the legendary Pentax company in Japan. It was made in 1976, and was one of the highest-selling cameras ever produced. These cameras were well-built, and are compatible with over blah blah blah blah blah..."

Of course that model of camera was well built, rugged, etc, etc. What about this particular camera? Often they'll cite some trivial bit of damage that you wouldn't worry about, in order to emphasise caveat emptor in order to hide a much bigger problem.

"There's a dent on the prism that doesn't affect operation. You buy this as-is."

This neatly absolves the seller of all responsibility one the buyer gets it and realises half the Sahara desert dwells between the camera's cogs, there's so much fungus on the VF that it licking it would induce hallucinations, and the last owner tried to used the shutter to slice carrots.

I much prefer ads along the lines of "Old Pentax K2. Bought from garage sale last month. Everything seems to be working, there's some damage on...don't know much about cameras" At least it doesn't feel liked you're being screwed. Those secondhand "salesman" feel you should pay for the privilege of their fancy words (and irrelevant research.)

11-22-2009, 10:13 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Yes, and to add insult to injury, if you give them bad feedback they'll do the same to you!
11-23-2009, 03:45 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is a Craigslist classic as well...this person has been trying to sell this camera for $25 for probably 2 years that I know of. At what point is it no longer worth your times and effort to re-list?
11-23-2009, 03:26 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
This is a Craigslist classic as well...this person has been trying to sell this camera for $25 for probably 2 years that I know of. At what point is it no longer worth your times and effort to re-list?
Two words: Pity buyer. ;-)

Or perhaps he's hoping Craigslist will eventually pay him the $25 to stop wasting their server resources. :-D
11-23-2009, 03:49 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Oh man, I hate that so much!

I'll scour Craigslist and a listing comes up "Pentax camera - $25" and it's within walking distance... my mind will race; maybe it's something like a K1000 or an ME Super... perhaps it'll have a 1.2 lens on and the owner doesn't know it's worth.

Then it turns out to be a damned Espio!! Nobody is buying that camera for $25....

I'll go to my local Thrift store and can occasionally find a lens there. I've lost hope recently though as even the biggest pieces of tat imaginable are gone within a day. Somebody is buying these garbage 35mm P&S cameras in spades. I had thought that maybe parents are buying them as toys for their kids, but we're talking real quantity here!

It frustrates me because I know that if garbage is flying off the shelves, the real gems are probably being picked up with little thought to their real worth.

Ok, end of rant!
11-23-2009, 04:44 PM   #28

At least your charity shops have lenses. The ones in my part of the world only seem to have naff crockery, ghastly clothing and jigsaws with pieces missing!

Regarding that MV1 again, the lens that isn't mounted on the camera looks out of true, as well as being covered in grit. The mount doesn't look level compared to the rest of the lens.

Last edited by Dangermouse; 11-23-2009 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Thought struck me