Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Anyone watch Supernatural?

This is probably not new thread worthy, but while watching my guilty pleasure "Supernatural" on CW, the actors took a group portrait with a very clean Spotmatic. I thought it was pretty cool that an old Pentax film camera got a fairly long close up shot. I wonder if Pentax payed for the spot, because the name on the camera was crystal clear and typically brand names are covered up if they don't get paid. Anyway, was wondering if anyone else saw it and got a big grin on their face.

11-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like Supernatural, however I'm just on basic cable and don't think I get it now.

I honestly can't picture Pentax paying for the spot. If they would have they would have used one of their latest digitals.
The spotmatic just has that look that the series seems to be after.
11-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah that made me wonder too, but usually when you see a product shot like a Dell or Apple computer they have the name/logo covered or changed so they don't possibly get sued, or they'll put the station logo over it, like CNN does. When the company pays for the advertisement, say Pepsi or Coke, then the logo will be perfectly turned and legible. Sony Ericsson phones in the new Bond movies for example.
11-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I would imagine that they asked Pentax ahead of time. In my opinion Pentax would have been foolish to say No
After all, even though it's an almost forgotten camera it's still free advertising.

11-23-2009, 12:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
...The spotmatic just has that look that the series seems to be after.
I haven't watched the show (too cheap for cable), but can attest to the pre-1980s Pentax bodies having a period look and a particular connotation. When I have been out with my KX, I have gotten used to people coming up to me and saying things like "...wow! A real metal-bodied Pentax...you know, I have/had one of these back when I..."

To many people, those cameras are emblematic of a quality standard that no longer exists.

Steve
11-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It did look very cool, and had a flash that looked like a metal satellite dish. I would like to see more new cameras embrace the designs of old, similar to what the big american 3 are doing with their pony cars. I know the demand would be low but I'd also buy a new Pentax film camera that blended modern features with classic design. If Cosina can do it with their Voigtlander Bessa(s), maybe Pentax could carve another niche with a classic styled film slr. Fat chance of that happening though.
11-23-2009, 08:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I haven't watched the show (too cheap for cable), but can attest to the pre-1980s Pentax bodies having a period look and a particular connotation. When I have been out with my KX, I have gotten used to people coming up to me and saying things like "...wow! A real metal-bodied Pentax...you know, I have/had one of these back when I..."

To many people, those cameras are emblematic of a quality standard that no longer exists.

Steve
The funniest encounter I've had when shooting with my old Pentax camera was on a hike with my daughter. I lady passing by asked if I'd like her to take a shot of my daughter and I, and I said sure. I quickly focused the camera, selected an exposure setting, and handed it to her. She took one look at my camera and asked how she was supposed to use it. I replied "Aim it at us and push the button." She didn't believe me!

Good for the Supernatural folks for using a proper camera! Bad for us because the kids who watch that show will move from listening to their "vinyls" to shooting "films" thereby driving prices up. You know, show their individuality by doing what all of the other kids are doing.
11-23-2009, 10:56 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Vertex Ninja Quote
It did look very cool, and had a flash that looked like a metal satellite dish. I would like to see more new cameras embrace the designs of old, similar to what the big american 3 are doing with their pony cars. I know the demand would be low but I'd also buy a new Pentax film camera that blended modern features with classic design. If Cosina can do it with their Voigtlander Bessa(s), maybe Pentax could carve another niche with a classic styled film slr. Fat chance of that happening though.
Best "satellite dish" flash I've seen was one of those ones that fan out, and fan back in for more compact storage. It's in an op shop here. I should pick it up.

I, too, dream of Pentax cranking out some of their old film cams. Not a few dozen thousand a year, maybe a two or three thousand.

Hell, it's not like they have to spend any money on R&D. You've got perfectly good bodies in the M series.

Incidentally, Supernatural holds the record for a TV show losing my respect (fifteen seconds.)

11-23-2009, 11:17 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Simple fact is, if a props department is looking for an 'old camera' they're likely to find a Pentax. People don't really register just how big Pentax once was. It'll be a Pentax or a Sears/Ricoh (these were the darlings of prop departments cause they were cheap and with easily-hidden brand names) for about any part of the period where they didn't care enough to put some Nikon F in there in a 'professional's' hands.

I'd actually be *really* surprised if I saw a Canon FTb or similar. An old Minolta. Even a Canonet. The most popular camera in history to this day, AFAIK, that latter, but you won't see it in any period pieces.
11-23-2009, 11:20 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Best "satellite dish" flash I've seen was one of those ones that fan out, and fan back in for more compact storage. It's in an op shop here. I should pick it up...
I had one of those when I was in high school. It supported a number of different flash bulbs and even had a built-in test lamp. It was a good unit, but it was replaced by a Toshiba electronic unit.

Steve
11-24-2009, 08:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by B Grace Quote
The funniest encounter I've had when shooting with my old Pentax camera was on a hike with my daughter. I lady passing by asked if I'd like her to take a shot of my daughter and I, and I said sure. I quickly focused the camera, selected an exposure setting, and handed it to her. She took one look at my camera and asked how she was supposed to use it. I replied "Aim it at us and push the button." She didn't believe me!
Some woman who claimed to be studying photography looked at y old K100D once, and the first thing she asked was "How do I turn on the screen"
Oddly enough I wouldn't be surprised if she's photographing weddings for $200.00 or less a pop now

I had an even bigger laugh when she tried giving me some advice.
11-24-2009, 10:27 AM   #12
Site Supporter

I noticed the Spotmatic right away...it was an Asahi-labeled model. And while there was only a brief glimpse of the flash I think it might've been a Honeywell Tilt-A-Mite.

Maybe the CW props department bought a Pentax kit at some point in the past!

It definitely fit in with the other props...the protagonists drive a 1967 Impala and other older cars show up from time to time.

Brad
11-25-2009, 04:38 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Some woman who claimed to be studying photography looked at y old K100D once, and the first thing she asked was "How do I turn on the screen"
Oddly enough I wouldn't be surprised if she's photographing weddings for $200.00 or less a pop now

I had an even bigger laugh when she tried giving me some advice.
Oh, but isn't that the way.

Course, I've heard that about *film* cameras. How quickly they forget.
11-25-2009, 04:42 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Best "satellite dish" flash I've seen was one of those ones that fan out, and fan back in for more compact storage. ...
That's exactly what it was.
11-25-2009, 10:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I was out with my fathers ME Super over the weekend, and a couple walked by, and the man asked me if I was a reporter. I had the ME around my neck, and a small camera bag slung over my shoulder. I just laughed and said "Nah, I am just out piddling around" lol You can see the couple in this shot...