Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
Forum Member

Need advice! Pentax K1000SE - $110 plus lenses, etc...

Hello all!

I'm a new K-x owner and have been looking for a fast 50mm prime lens to use. I was looking on craigs list and I saw a listing for the following for $110:

2 K1000SE bodies, pentax wide angle lense, two 50mm lenses f1.4 adn f1.7, flash and telephoto lense with 2x converter. Carrying bag is included. All in good shape.

He also said he has a couple of flashes and random filters.

Could I resell the film bodies for any decent cash if I bought the whole package? I just want the 50mm lenses to mess around and practice with? Is this a good deal? Any thoughts!?

11-21-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lattyday Quote
... Could I resell the film bodies for any decent cash if I bought the whole package? I just want the 50mm lenses to mess around and practice with? Is this a good deal? Any thoughts!?
There's usually somebody looking for the SE bodies, especially if they have the brown leatherette. Anyway if the listed lenses are Pentax SMC, it sounds like a great deal to me even without the bodies.
11-21-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick replay, Sluggo.

I emailed him to ask for more specs on the lenses.

I can't afford $110 right now, but if I could resell the bodies, then booyah! I'll have some lenses to play around with!

Anyone else have any thoughts?
11-21-2009, 01:22 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You might find that the lenses are not Pentax. You can search here to find out of they are any good. For example, you would probably enjoy owning a Yashinon.

If it sounds like it is worth it, check out the package before buying it. Look through each lens and check for fungas (slight spider web looking stuff inside, specs stuck on inside the lens). A little dust is fine and won't show up in your pics. For the camera body, it might be OK or it might not be. Unless you've run a role of film through it it's hard to tell...but who knows, it might look mint.

My SMC Takumar 50/1.8 was "free" as I bought a kit and sold the other parts. You might sell one of the 3 lenses, helping to cover the cost as well. Of course, you always run the risk of being stuck with the gear, so if you really can't afford the $110 right now, it could be a bit risky.

11-21-2009, 02:44 PM   #5

If the 50mm lenses are Pentax then it's worth it. I'd expect to be able to get $50 each for the K1000SE bodies if they're in good shape.

That said, it comes down to what you can afford. A Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 goes for under $110, as does the K 55mm f1.8 (which is a very handy lens on digital). You could buy a Pentax-A 50mm f1.7 for less too, which would allow your Kx to control the aperture rather than having to use any special tricks.

In all honesty I think you're better off with the f1.7 than the f1.4. It's an excellent lens and costs a good deal less than the f1.4. If an f1.4 or f1.2 comes up later on then you won't have lost anything - the f1.7 will be worth the same or more if you decide to sell it.
11-21-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for info,

I'm going to see if these are indeed Pentax lenses. One lens was pictured and was a Pentax, but it is a terrible photo and I can't even tell what kind of lens it is. I have a friend would could use one of the 50mm lenses too, so maybe I'll give him one for an early Christmas present or something haha. It'd be fun to go out with someone and mess around with a fast lens.

What I really need to do is go and check this stuff out first hand...
11-23-2009, 09:42 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Disappointing...

He finally got back to me and said he already sold it!! I was pumped to get a bunch of M lenses for cheap. Maybe I should just put up a want ad for some affordable manual lenses

11-23-2009, 09:56 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That's the thing with Craigslist....you have to be quick but careful. Keep looking......something will show up

11-24-2009, 09:38 AM   #9

My advice would be that if you want a 50mm you should hold on for a Pentax-A 50mm f1.7. They're not much more expensive than the M version and you get far more compatibility. It's essentially the same lens optically but with an A setting on the aperture ring.

The old K 55mm f1.8 often seems to be a bit of a sleeper - people hunt 50s, not the 55s so you can occasionally find one cheaply. It'd become a handy 80mm-ish telephoto on a Kx and is very sharp indeed.
11-24-2009, 02:12 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dangermouse Quote
My advice would be that if you want a 50mm you should hold on for a Pentax-A 50mm f1.7. They're not much more expensive than the M version and you get far more compatibility. It's essentially the same lens optically but with an A setting on the aperture ring.

The old K 55mm f1.8 often seems to be a bit of a sleeper - people hunt 50s, not the 55s so you can occasionally find one cheaply. It'd become a handy 80mm-ish telephoto on a Kx and is very sharp indeed.
Hmm... yeas maybe I'll look for one of those A lenses; It'd be nice to have the auto focus...
11-24-2009, 03:56 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by lattyday Quote
Hmm... yeas maybe I'll look for one of those A lenses; It'd be nice to have the auto focus...
You've probably found this out already, but just in case!

The A lenses are not auto focus. The A refers to the aperture - they support auto exposure modes. On a DSLR this means that you get an aperture readout on the body rather than a blank space, and it also means that you can use all the modes on the camera, just with manual focus. In Av or M modes you set the aperture just as you would with a DA lens.

The earlier K or M lenses without the A position can only be used in Av mode (where they're set to the largest aperture) or M mode (where you can set aperture and use stop-down metering).

Auto focus came in with the F series lenses, then the later FA and DA followed on.
11-24-2009, 06:23 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oops yep I didn't mean auto focus haha...

I meant auto exposure... but thank you for making sure I know what the heck I'm talking about!

Anyways, I just won an auction on eBay for a Pentax M 1.17 that includes the lens and a Pentax ME film body. I plan on selling the film body to get some cash back! I'm excited to start practicing with this lens. I like using full manual mode, too, so I think I will enjoy this M lens.