Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well Hin...It looks like you are hooked. Medium Format...B&W...FILTERS!!!...Yep, hook, line, and sinker! <evil grin>

Steve

(Nice work btw...your film skills are coming along nicely )

12-13-2009, 06:38 AM   #47
Veteran Member

I shot through 2 rolls of BW400CN with the MZ-50 + DA35Ltd combination on the weekend. Unfortunately I had a bit of a 'dumb moment' and kept using the inbult hood on the lens, even though I could see it vignette in the viewfinder!
So my first roll ended up mostly with some pretty bad vignetting, like this:

The second roll will go in to get developed tomorrow, will see how that turns out. I do however have an example photo from one of the few occasions when I didn't use the lens hood. I also checked the negative and I don't think this has been cropped by the scanner at the lab... Photo below was at about F8:

I'll report back again soon

cheers,
Jason
12-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
I shot through 2 rolls of BW400CN with the MZ-50 + DA35Ltd combination on the weekend. Unfortunately I had a bit of a 'dumb moment' and kept using the inbult hood on the lens, even though I could see it vignette in the viewfinder!
So my first roll ended up mostly with some pretty bad vignetting, like this:

I'll report back again soon

cheers,
Jason
Thank you so much for all the reports. It excites me to see the last image and I don't think I see vignetting without the lens hood. I get used to using the lens hood and it is somewhat uncomfortable for me to take it off. I may shoot with a filter when I use the DA 35mm on my film gear.

I will think that the DA 35, 40, 70 limited will go well with the film gear that either have Program mode or those film cameras that have e-dial or interface to control apertures such as Pentax SuperProgram, PZ-1, MZ-5n or the like as in P3n, P5 or even the SF1. Your mileage may vary. The 40mm go well for me even when the hood is mounted. While the 21mm with or without the hood, the vignetting is very obvious but a PP step in cutting the edge will either result in a usable crop or an artistic edge blur. As noted, the DA 35mm may need a small crop depending on focusing distance, macro shot seems to go okay without needing a crop.

Please remember all the above refer to b&w that my have hidden the color degradation on the corner. With the b&w, I treat the vignetting effect as natural and quite artistic and with color, that is harder to take as it may differ (or perhaps NOT) from the original scene you see.

DA 40mm f/2.8 limited with hood mounted on Pentax SuperProgram in P mode
no post processing, film scanned by a lab

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 12-15-2009 at 11:15 AM.
12-15-2009, 06:35 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Hin,

In regards to my "report", you are welcome
This afternoon I got my second roll of BW400CN developed and scanned, this time I made sure I didn't use the hood at all. As you mentioned, I also get used to using the hood, and try to make sure I am using one on any lens I use.
Anyway, onto the verdict, which is strangley mixed. This is beyond my understanding, but some of the shots show very obvious vignetting, while others show much milder vignetting (such that it can almost be removed by PP), and some show almost none.
For example, here is a shot showing a fair amount of vignetting:

And here is another shot where the vignette seems to be a bit less severe:

Now here is the same shot as #2 with some quick PP work in Lightroom to reduce the vignette, no cropping

Lastly, this shot was taken in the macro range of the DA35, close to 1:1 from memory

In my uneducated understanding, it looks like the focusing distance is having an impact on the vignetting observed. Now unfortunately I didn't record the exact aperture setting of each photo, but it was bright sunlight so most were from F8 to F11.
I would guess that as long as you are prepared to allow a fairly small crop when composing a shot, that the DA35 will work pretty well. Or if it is used for macro duties then maybe it will be fine. A "wide-angle" macro is quite fun too, maybe my next project will involve flower photos with some good colour film... I don't really know what "good colour film" is though!

cheers,
Jason

12-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Jason, this is absolutely fantastic reports. You find problems and perhaps things to watch out as in the focusing distance and apertures used in the shots. I wish we have a 100% viewfinder to see what is coming at the time of the photo. That will be the ultimate FF that I want to get or a K-7 so to speak.

I do not know if some vignetting is an attribute of the lens's character towards the corner with light fall-off in apertures and that of the scanning process by software or lab whereby a fashion of vignetting is applied to a picture when slight fall off is detected. The latter is unlikely when you have shots that do not vignette.

I think your thinking with focusing distance is the closest that I can think of along with aperture used. I will think that a smaller aperture will have less vignette as compared to bigger aperture where light falls off towards the corners and it is more obvious in b&w as compared to film.

For recommendation on films, I leave that to other who have more experience. I have no experience in choosing films or slides. I am newbie to film.

Warmest,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 12-15-2009 at 11:07 AM.
12-16-2009, 07:37 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Hi Hin,

You are welcome, it was fun I am also a newbie to film.
Thanks for your thoughts on the vignetting too, interesting. I am fairly happy with how the lens performed on film. I have posted another of my shots in the "post your photos" section recently, if you would like to have a look.

When I eventually get around to trying this lens out on colour film (probably in macro situations), I'll try and remember to show you how I go.

Do you have any plans to 'play' with other DAs or anything else on film at the moment?

cheers,
Jason
12-23-2009, 01:04 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Hi Hin,

You are welcome, it was fun I am also a newbie to film.
Thanks for your thoughts on the vignetting too, interesting. I am fairly happy with how the lens performed on film. I have posted another of my shots in the "post your photos" section recently, if you would like to have a look.

When I eventually get around to trying this lens out on colour film (probably in macro situations), I'll try and remember to show you how I go.

Do you have any plans to 'play' with other DAs or anything else on film at the moment?

cheers,
Jason
I have been pre-occupied myself with the Ricoh xr-p which can't take DA lenses. I will probably find a time to try out my DA 35mm f/2.8 limited and DA 70mm f/2.4 limited on my SuperProgram in program mode. I will update later on. From my readings on other threads, 40mm and 70mm will do okay while 35mm may need crop in some cases.

Reason for the delay

I have been shooting more films with the Ricoh xr-p using my Cosina 55mm f/1.2 and Tamron SP 17mm f/3.5 adaptall-2 and hence the drag in not getting back to my SuperProgram with DA limited. I did order a bunch of light seals to fix up my Pentax MX and a gift copy of xr-p for my friend Andrew. But my bad in leaving the Pentax film bodies at home and I feel a trader with the Rioch xr-p, I love that camera that I actually bought copies as gift for friend.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 12-23-2009 at 03:06 PM.
12-24-2009, 06:33 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Well Hin, that Ricoh certainly does look nice
I actually have a Super Program on the way to me, expecting it early in the new year. I'm jealous of your f1.2 lens also! Seasons Greetings etc

cheers,