Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2009, 08:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Steve, Matt and others,

I am creating a problem bigger than what I can handle. Yes, my third film camera is coming and it looks like a good copy of Ricoh xr-p that goes with a winder and external flash bracket. I think it is similar to Steve's xr-7. And I found this brochure in image search

source in flickr
from our admired friend Nester

I read up some online menu and learn that this Ricoh can take up to 3200 iso and 1/2000 sec shutter and its flash sync speed can reach 1/250 sec. I hope that I read that right. I am not sure on its size or whether it can work with DA lenses in metering as well as FA lenses. The image circle issue is yet to be tested even in my SuperProgram. Its viewfinder is sure not as big as the MX, but at 0.88 magnification and 92% coverage. I think it can take on K-mount lenses. It is weird: I saw a separate adaptall-2 adapter for Ricoh xr-p and I wonder if the adaptall-2 p/k-a adapter will work with the xr-p camera. All in a sudden, my MX and SuperProgram has a rare outsider competitor. I hope I can pick one out of the three to enjoy 35mm film shooting.

Any recommendation on scanner as I am looking into Epson 750M that seem to work with both 35mm and that of MF films. Any recommendations for similar products will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 11-25-2009 at 01:19 PM.
11-24-2009, 09:24 PM   #17
Veteran Member

XR-P needs 'Ricoh pin' lenses for the camera to set it's aperture, does it not?
11-24-2009, 11:46 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by keyser Quote
XR-P needs 'Ricoh pin' lenses for the camera to set it's aperture, does it not?
Hin...your XR-P is a few years newer than my XR-7 and is a very different beast, though with a shared heritage. It supports Av and Manual modes with non-Ricoh, K-mount lenses. With Rikenon-P and 3rd-party compatible lenses, it is one of the most feature-rich manual focus cameras ever produced and supports Sv and multiple program modes.

Your Adaptall-2 PKA adapter will work on the XR-P in Av and M mode only. You will need the KR (I think?) adapter with the "Ricoh Pin" to get full functionality. I think KEH has one in stock. I would suggest the regular PK adapter if you don't have the Ricoh version.

I think you are going to like it and will be interested to read your impressions of the XR-P as compared to the Super Program.

Steve
11-25-2009, 12:03 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I forgot to add that the exposure controls are both traditional and modal. There is a shutter speed dial on the camera with all speeds and an "A" position and an aperture ring on the lens with a "P" position. Combine the two for Av, Sv, or Program. All program, aperture and shutter speed information is displayed in the viewfinder along with various other data regardless of mode.

Did I also mention easy to use exposure compensation and AE Lock? How about true TTL flash metering with supporting flash units? Built-in intervalometer when attached to the available power winder or motor drive? (Yes, Ricoh made a true motor drive for this camera.)

As you can probably tell, I would have liked to have bought one of these, but was distracted by a new baby in the house. I also would have had a hard time justifying the purchase to the wife since the XR7 was not that old!

I have a compatible winder that I would offer to you, but it sounds like you already have one. Pity it did not come with the dedicated flash!

Steve

Edit: Forgot to mention easy multiple exposure support...machined aluminum chassis under polycarbonate covers...

Edit: Forgot to mention the one glaring deficiency...no DOF preview!

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-25-2009 at 01:06 PM.
11-25-2009, 05:32 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Of course, getting back to the 40 temptation, there are two easy ways around the problem.

1) the 43 limited has an aperture ring and is one of the best lenses Pentax ever made
2) the M50/1.7 is petite and light weight and perfect for the MX - or the program camera for that matter
11-25-2009, 06:07 AM   #21

Surely the A50mm f1.7 would be better for the Program camera? Same optics, but with the A setting it's a better match.
11-25-2009, 07:50 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I would not risk it, a good seals/foam set from Jon Goodman costs less than 10 Euro shipped to Europe; and is good for 4 cameras or more.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dangermouse Quote
My worry with the light seals is that they might start to break up and jam the camera. My three M series bodies probably need new mirror bumper foam, I actually replaced the one on the MV1 with some soft, dense foam cut to size and held in with a tiny dab of PVA glue. I chose PVA as it peels off easily and doesn't fog nearby surfaces.

I've yet to try putting a film through any of them, although the ME Super is likely to be used with a roll of black and white after I finish my current roll (which is testing a battered Olympus OM10 that I bought for a few £s),

I can't help but be tempted by an M 40mm to go with the fully functioning MG body I have here. It's in good shape and needs a lens...

11-25-2009, 09:14 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dangermouse Quote
Surely the A50mm f1.7 would be better for the Program camera? Same optics, but with the A setting it's a better match.
True enough - the M lenses are easy to use however, they default to Av mode, which is how I like to use them anyhow. Plus may be cheaper, as you pay for the A compatibility what with all the digitals around.

But really either works great
11-25-2009, 11:57 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Steve, much thanks for all the valuable information on the Ricoh xr-p. I saw a great number of Ricoh xr and Ricoh kr film photos in Flickr, I am very impressed with the quality of photos. I hope I get a good copy. My package comes with two Access zooms and I doubt if they are in Ricoh K mount with the extra pin. I will look up the Rioch RI or RK adaptall-2 adapters, and I will be in awesome collection of adaptall-2 lens that can be adapted to different system such as the Ricoh xr-p or even Nikon F film cameras.

@Nester, @Matt, the M 50mm f/1.4 or 1/7 will be an awesome pancake clones. Though they are not pancake small in nature, but when I play with two M lenses in M 50mm f/1.7 and M 28mm f/2.8, they are small and quite thin and nothing seems a compromise in IQ and ease of usage in the field. The manual focusing is smooth and I am sure they offer better focusing as the ring is large enough in not compromising for smaller size. I wrote about the Pentax Pancake clones with M lens before in a small blog post

Those M lenses should be considered more logical and economical choices if one goes for IQ, speed and the best bang for the buck for film lenses. As Nester mentions, the M lens goes straight into Av or user select M mode in the film gear. Though a bit more expensive, I personally love the A 50mm f/1.7 as I can share it between film and digital bodies.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 11-25-2009 at 12:36 PM.
11-25-2009, 12:07 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
I would not risk it, a good seals/foam set from Jon Goodman costs less than 10 Euro shipped to Europe; and is good for 4 cameras or more.
Is there link to online resources of Do It Yourself type of training with material resources on fixing up the light sealing and mirror bumper?

With Steve's valuable inputs, my MX doesn't seem to be sticky though a big portion of the sealing are gone. I am fortunate not to see black goo on my focusing screen with MX.

Thanks,
Hin
11-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Is there link to online resources of Do It Yourself type of training with material resources on fixing up the light sealing and mirror bumper?

With Steve's valuable inputs, my MX doesn't seem to be sticky though a big portion of the sealing are gone. I am fortunate not to see black goo on my focusing screen with MX.

Thanks,
Hin
Here are Jon Goodman's instructions for sealing multiple kinds of cameras:
Favorite Classics / Jon Goodman's Seal Replacement Instructions
Here is the link to Goodman's eBay store where he sells seal kits:
eBay Seller: interslice: Cameras Photo items on eBay.com
Contact him directly via eBay for kits not listed.
Steve

(In case you are wondering...Mr. Goodman is sort of a legend in regards to seal replacement on old cameras.)
11-25-2009, 02:41 PM   #27

Can I use Tamron 2.8/17-50mm XR Di II lens on my Super A camera?
11-25-2009, 02:55 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by coa75 Quote
Can I use Tamron 2.8/17-50mm XR Di II lens on my Super A camera?
It will mount and work in Sv and P modes, though the image circle may not be wide enough. You might also find the short focus throw a little frustrating.

Steve
11-25-2009, 03:41 PM   #29

Steve, thnx
11-25-2009, 08:20 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Hey Hin, I have an XR-P adaptall mount that will let you use your Tamron adaptall 2 lenses on that camera with all functions. At least I think it will, I've never had one to try it - used it as a PK adpater that occasionally gets just a little stuck. I've been meaning to sell it but hadn't gotten around to it. Let me know if you are interested!