Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2007, 01:42 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
I got my new MX back today..!

That MX I got from ebay is just back from the Pentax repairman. Eric left it as good as new or better - a rejuvenated camera, like it's 1980 all over again. While waiting for it I got a motor winder. I plan to take it out this weekend for the crucial shooting test. I also lucked out in a related ebay purchase: one seller threw in some A lenses(50mm f/1.7, a 135mm f/2.8 and a 28mm f/3.5 - all Pentax, all in apparently excellent condition), and a large Lowepro bag that holds two cameras! Since I already had a used SMC 50mm f/1.4 and 100mm f/2.8, along with a new 35mm and 28-80mm, why I'm pleased as Punch. So pleased that I managed to get a good price for a second MX, to keep the first one company in the big bag. After all, now I've got too many manual lenses for just one MX. Once I take some inaugural photos I will have mpix scan them in for me, and I will post them, somewhat belatedly I know, in this forum. Thanks all at Pentax forums for the great advice I received in my previous three threads on the subject of the MX.

06-09-2007, 02:58 PM   #2

Original Poster
I couldn't resist snapping it, decked out in its newly acquired accouterments. This may soon be my new avatar.

Name:  MXthumbnail.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  95.1 KB
07-03-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Dude, that strap is so 1981
07-05-2007, 04:06 AM   #4

Original Poster
1981? Makes sense; being colorful and stylish - not depression black like everything else in 'fashion' today. I actually just bought it new from Amazon. Apparently there's a retro movement to go back to 1981, a year I liked.

By the way, if we're still more concerned with photography than with fashion statements, I just posted three MX photos of Indian Hammocks Park (Miami) in the Users Photo forum. Here's one of them. Love those low pink clouds!

07-05-2007, 12:21 PM   #5

Haven't used my MX in a long while. nice scan but on my lcd monitor I don't see the pink in the clouds. I like your tag line. I just recently could not photograph a red bellied woodpecker because of dead batteries and was wishing I had a non battery film camer for backup. But what if I had run out of film too? I had forgotten about those times.

John
07-08-2007, 07:59 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smctak Quote
Haven't used my MX in a long while. nice scan but on my lcd monitor I don't see the pink in the clouds. I like your tag line. I just recently could not photograph a red bellied woodpecker because of dead batteries and was wishing I had a non battery film camer for backup. But what if I had run out of film too? I had forgotten about those times.

John
Yes, the bottom fringe of the clouds comes out a very light sunset pink in the print version. I can also see the effect on my monitor. Perhaps just a question of resolution or monitor interface. One good thing about the MX is that it only needs batteries for the metering system, and these last for years. Running out of film remains a problem, though, with analog cameras: As you walk away, rewinding the spool, suddenly you're seeing a whole bunch of great shots you can't take because you're all out.
07-08-2007, 08:32 AM   #7

Original Poster
Here's another view of Hammocks Park. I kept it large to retain the detail that the MX provides, even with a shot taken with a 28mm f/3.5 lens at deep DOF focus.

Last edited by irminsul; 07-08-2007 at 08:43 AM.
07-08-2007, 08:37 AM   #8

Original Poster
I kinda like this one too.

07-08-2007, 09:43 AM   #9
Forum Member

I'm curious how you are scanning these images, I am looking at getting a scanner and wonder what kind of results I should expect.
07-09-2007, 01:09 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Skorzen Quote
I'm curious how you are scanning these images, I am looking at getting a scanner and wonder what kind of results I should expect.

Actually, I don't have a scanner; I simply send the rolls to mpix.com. They develop the negatives, print them and send me the negatives, the prints and also a cd with the jpegs.
07-09-2007, 10:07 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How are the quality of the jpgs? I had my negatives scanned at Ritz Camera once and they scanned at a relatively low resolution and heavily compressed each image.
07-09-2007, 05:09 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by igowerf Quote
How are the quality of the jpgs? I had my negatives scanned at Ritz Camera once and they scanned at a relatively low resolution and heavily compressed each image.
igowerf, I tried Ritz Camera too and had the same experience. My experience with mpix.com was generally good the first two or three times, but in the last batch the photos that I took with a Canon 7e were scanned at a relatively low resolution, perhaps because I used recently expired 400 ISO film. On the whole, I would recommend that you give them a try. There is also a local lab in South Florida, Dale Laboratories, that is very good with prints (and they also develop B&W and slide film), but I don't know if it would be useful to you all the way in California.
07-09-2007, 07:14 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Cool, I just finished off a test roll of some black and white C41 process film on my ME Super so I might send it to mpix to develop. Thanks irminsul.