Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
spotmatic vs spotmatic II

So, I'm looking into getting a spotmatic (I want takumar glass, and I could likely make some money back by downsizing to a spotmatic and one good lens rather than my km and three lenses, especially since I can't shoot all that often). Were the improvements from the original to the SPII significant enough to pay the extra cash?

Thanks!

11-29-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jzietman Quote
So, I'm looking into getting a spotmatic (I want takumar glass, and I could likely make some money back by downsizing to a spotmatic and one good lens rather than my km and three lenses, especially since I can't shoot all that often). Were the improvements from the original to the SPII significant enough to pay the extra cash?
Thanks!
I understand that the SP II takes 1.5v Silver Oxide batteries, which -unlike the 1.35v Mercury batteries- are readily available. I'm not sure if the original Spotmatic will take the Silver Oxide batteries without some modification?
11-29-2009, 07:42 PM   #3

I think the only difference between them is that the II has a hot shoe and the meter goes to a higher film speed.
11-29-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter

The differences are listed on this page of Karen Nakamura's excellent Photoethnography website: Spotmatic SPII

Chris

11-29-2009, 08:56 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yeah, I've been reading over Karen Nakamura's website, but that only lists the ostensible changes. I wonder how significant the changes to the metering, etc. were, though, and whether they are significant enough to unilaterally prefer the SPII to the original.
11-30-2009, 04:29 AM   #6
Inactive Account

The SPII was launched in 1971, seven years after the Spotmatic was first introduced. The changes are mainly cosmetic. The pentaprism shape was modified and a hotshoe was added. The sensitivity of the exposure meter was increased to handle ASA3200 film. The big change at this time wasn't the camera but Pentax introduced a whole new line of SMC Takumar lenses.
11-30-2009, 07:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Which is better depends on your aesthetics - some feel the original SP design is near perfect and the II muddled it up.

I don't think the battery issue is a big deal either way as the Spotties have the balancing circuit.

Personally, I'd pick either one that came up first in the condition I want and at a price I want. That said, my favorite is the SP1000.
11-30-2009, 07:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both are great cameras, and take great pictures
If both cameras are at within reach grab the SPII and the SP

I only have the SP, but had a SPIIa for a while, and ergonomics were basically the same

PS. both can use 1.5V batteries (at least my Sp can)

12-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #9

Original Poster
hijacking my own thread, I wonder how much I should look to sell my current KM setup for.

I paid a total of about $175 for the kit, but I don't know whether I was cheated a bit. It's a KM that had been recently CLA'd by the past owner and is still in perfect condition with fresh battery. I've four lenses: M50/2, M50/1.7, Vivitar wide angle 28/2.8, and a Sears 135/2.8. The 50/1.7 has a weird color distortion inside the glass, but it doesn't look liking hazing or mold, and as far as I can tell it doesn't affect IQ at all. Apart from that, everything's in great condition. Does asking $150 or so sound fair? I guess I should also offer them separately...