Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2009, 03:24 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax ME SUPER with M42 screw mount thread is this a rarity.

HI IAM A NEWBIE who has today acquired a PENTAX ME SUPER with an original factory fitted M42 screw mount . Can you folks tell me if this an unusal find. It means I can use all my old Taks without any hassle. Was this an admission by Pentax that we liked the screwmounts and the lenses?.

Last edited by J.Scott; 12-02-2009 at 04:12 AM.
12-02-2009, 04:13 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Never heard of such a beast.

How 'bout some pics?
12-02-2009, 06:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
are you sure there is NOT a M42-K adapter in the camera?
the old pentax adapters were made to stay on the camera.

Pictures appreciated (without the lens is better)
12-02-2009, 08:15 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Here's mine with the adapter installed.
I don't mean to be demeaning, but does it look like that?

Could someone have removed the K-mount bezel and replaced it with an M42 bezel off a Spottie?
No idea if that's even possible, though.

Last edited by J.Scott; 12-03-2009 at 05:17 PM. Reason: adding wide tags
12-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Oh man, I'd love an ME Super with M42 threads for my M42 lenses. There's just that hint of wobblyness with the adapter.
12-02-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I can't picture Pentax actually having made that camera, although it's possible that someone modified theirs with a screwmount.

It would require more work than just screwing on a screwmount flange, to do a proper job. Pentax would have had to also convert the full metering system.
Which I don't think would be worth it for a 1 off camera.
12-02-2009, 09:15 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi J.K. That is exactly it so presumably as it is branded as Pentax was it a factory supply or a modification ? Also does this make it just useful or does it have a value above the £30.00 I paid for it. AND THANKS ALL YOU GUYS IT IS MY FIRST POST AND YOU GOT IT IN ONE. BRILLIANT

12-02-2009, 09:16 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Yes as the others have noted, this makes little sense. it's more than just the mount to change as this was a fairly automated camera and these lenses would not connect to the metering system as they are.

So your 2nd post is confusing. Is it an adapter mounted or a modification to the mount? Could you provide a photo of it.
12-02-2009, 09:38 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi peter It is exactly as the photo above and seems to work OK as you rightly say it does connect . I still wonder if this was a factory model.The body no is 3007518 and everything else is standard ME super
12-02-2009, 09:46 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

The photo above is with the standard adapter added. See the little slot near the red dot? Have a close look inside and you'll see a small black metal tab. You can use your thumbnail or a small screwdriver to press the tab in toward the center. Then at the same time rotate the adapter down till the slot lines up with the lens lock pin. The adapter should come out easily.
The adapter alone is worth $40.00 here, so you got a good deal.
12-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vogist Quote
Hi J.K. That is exactly it so presumably as it is branded as Pentax was it a factory supply or a modification ? Also does this make it just useful or does it have a value above the £30.00 I paid for it. AND THANKS ALL YOU GUYS IT IS MY FIRST POST AND YOU GOT IT IN ONE. BRILLIANT
30 quid? BRILLIANT!!!
the adapter itself is around 15

check the manual at pentax-manuals.com and see how to remove the adapter
12-02-2009, 03:32 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi PETER. You have solved the problem and were absolutely right first shot, It is a removable adaptor unlike any of the previous ones I have seen or bought, which are really wide flanged. What confused me was that it looked so integral with the body, very NEAT design, beautifully made. I will put it on my treasured f 1.4 TAK, so yes I think I got a bargain @ £12.50 +postage and I have a SPARE BODY AS WELLl if any one is interested.
So I can put this to bed and say thanks for all your help.Oh finally mine doesn't just say
' Pentax' it has the ASAHI PENTAX engraving. Now there's a thing for the perfectionists. Can anyone date it ?.
12-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

That's definitely a bargain, especially if the ME Super body is in good shape.
12-02-2009, 04:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vogist Quote
Hi PETER. You have solved the problem and were absolutely right first shot, It is a removable adaptor unlike any of the previous ones I have seen or bought, which are really wide flanged. What confused me was that it looked so integral with the body, very NEAT design, beautifully made. I will put it on my treasured f 1.4 TAK, so yes I think I got a bargain @ £12.50 +postage and I have a SPARE BODY AS WELLl if any one is interested.
So I can put this to bed and say thanks for all your help.Oh finally mine doesn't just say
' Pentax' it has the ASAHI PENTAX engraving. Now there's a thing for the perfectionists. Can anyone date it ?.
It's only a guess on my part but I would expect it to be the same vintage as the ME Super. I bought mine in 1981. Pentax was a brand name but the company was Asahi (with exception to a few years more recently when Pentax was a company to itself). I really do like the ME Super...great camera!
12-03-2009, 12:50 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brkl Quote
That's definitely a bargain, especially if the ME Super body is in good shape.
Yes BKRL a bargain indeed. Need to put a film in and get shooting. Like your OULU shots. I went through there in 1959 on a scandinavian lakeside camping trip, EERY at night and amazing unmade roads. Had a 'paxette' in those days.The quality of light was fantastic.

Last edited by vogist; 12-03-2009 at 12:52 AM. Reason: spelling