Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2009, 05:20 AM   #1
REN06

I need help with value of camera items.

I have got these items from my mom and have no idea what they are worth.
PENTEX ME SUPER
SMC PENTAX-M 1:2 50MM
FLASH AF200S
VIVITAR 80-200 f4.0

Also I want to get my wife a digital camera for christmas. Can I buy a new body and use the lenses and flash that I have???
I have no camera knowledge at all and need help

12-05-2009, 05:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Go to Keh.com and look up the items to get a good idea of their worth.
Do the same with completed listings on ebay.
That's what the rest of us do to answer questions such as these.

To keep things simple, if you get a Pentax DSLR you can use the lenses without an adapter, but metering/exposure won't be automated, she'll need to learn manual metering. You can use the flash, and it will talk to the camera body.

But as the kit lens is so cheap with the camera, and a very good one too, if you buy her a new camera get the kit lens - the ability to use these old lenses will be a bonus.
12-05-2009, 05:56 AM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.
Your current gear is not going to be all that valuable monetarily, but do check what they go for from reputable resellers.

As for getting a Pentax dSLR, like a K-x, it will *work* with the camera as long as the directions are followed in the use of a fully manual lens - not as flexible as an auto lens, and hard for a newbie to appreciate. I don't believe the flash will give reliable results on a new camera, so I wouldn't bother using it to be honest. But there's no harm in trying it out for yourself.

I'd strongly suggest that if you're getting a new camera, just get with it the kit lenses (like the DA 18-55 and DA 50-200) that are bundled with it, both for value for money as well as ease of use for a new dSLR user.
12-05-2009, 07:24 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Welcome to the forum.

I edited the title of your post to be more specific to your issue.
"I need help!!!!!!!!!" with umpteen exclamation marks is not helpful, by the way.

Please be conscious of this for future postings.

12-05-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The value of used film gear is hard to estimate. It depends on where you are trying to sell it, who wants to buy it, and the condition.

Places like KEH can sell the gear at slightly higher prices because they will take returns. A private sale of a used camera should go for less.

Used prices also vary by region. In my area, I would expect to be able to find a used ME super for 50-70 bucks. The 50 f2 would go for about 50, the flash would be a freeby thrown in to make the sale, and the 80-200 f4 maybe 100-150 depending on condition. Looking on ebay there are plenty of 80-200's for under 60 bucks.

The ME super that I bought cost me $140.00, and that included a A50 f1.7. So the camera cost me 70, and the lens 70.
12-05-2009, 12:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The ME Super should be worth 50-80 US depending on the condition
If the camera has been CLAd value could go to 100

The 50/2 is not a very epensive lens, so 25-40 also depending on how it looks like

The Vivitar is a good lens, 50-60 and the flash some 20

And yes you can use all these lenses in a pentax digital!
Check for flash compatibility in the pentax website, also the pentax digital has a built in flash which should be fine for starters.
12-06-2009, 12:01 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by REN06 Quote
I have got these items from my mom and have no idea what they are worth.
PENTEX ME SUPER $45-$85 USD
SMC PENTAX-M 1:2 50MM $25-$30 USD
FLASH AF200S $15-$30 USD
VIVITAR 80-200 f4.0 ????

Also I want to get my wife a digital camera for christmas. Can I buy a new body and use the lenses and flash that I have???
I have no camera knowledge at all and need help
Hi Reno6.

Welcome to the forum. As noted above, value varies according to region and condition. I have put a few estimates (assuming very good to excellent condition) within the quoted text above. The Vivitar Zoom is hard to pin down since there were many variations over several years sourced from different manufacturers, though my initial guess would be less than $75 USD. (The upper end of my estimates are the absolute top money I would spend for the item...even with recent Clean, Lube, and Adjust.)

As noted above, the flash and lenses are usable with a new Pentax dSLR, but probably not the best choice to someone without good manual camera photographic skills.

Steve

P.S. For the normal lens + camera, $100 USD at the top end. Easier to sell together, but worth less than if parted out.

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-06-2009 at 12:06 AM.
12-06-2009, 09:15 AM   #8
REN06

Thanks for the replys, My next question is I want to buy a good digital camera for my wife. She says she is done with the little point and clicks. We have three kids in sports and she wants to be able to get good digital photos from the stands but not have a huge camera to carry around. Will need something with good lense for distance at hockey rinks and I would say full automatic. Video might be needed. Like to know what my options would be. price range between 600 and 1200 Can.
Thanks in advance

12-06-2009, 09:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Pentax K-X with the regular kit lens and (maybe) 50-200mm tele lens kit
12-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by REN06 Quote
Thanks for the replys, My next question is I want to buy a good digital camera for my wife. She says she is done with the little point and clicks. We have three kids in sports and she wants to be able to get good digital photos from the stands but not have a huge camera to carry around. Will need something with good lense for distance at hockey rinks and I would say full automatic. Video might be needed. Like to know what my options would be. price range between 600 and 1200 Can.
Thanks in advance
This question is quite a bit more difficult! My general advice is to find a way to do some market research and get hands-on time with your top choices (if possible). I may get flamed for saying this, but all the major manufacturers have product of such quality that it boils down to feature set, budget, and feel-in-hand. Things to consider:
  • Long lenses appropriate for "from the stands" photos tend to be bulky
  • Shake/Vibration resistance is essential...in-body vs. in-lens...the latter approach tends to increase the cost of lenses
  • Auto-focus speed and frame rate
  • With the exception of the Pentax K-7 and the Nikon D90, most of the higher-end dSLRs are pretty bulky
  • A little lower downscale is the Pentax K-X...currently the value queen of high feature entry-level dSLRs
Good luck!

Steve
12-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

If you decide to stick with Pentax get a K-X

Otherwise, and I know I'll be stoned for this ...but get a Nikon D40
12-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I wouldn't use KEH prices. Their used gear is sold fully functional and comes with a warranty.
eBay Completed Auctions for the same model in similar condition would be a more accurate guide.

Chris