Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Help! *ist gone haywire

I bought this camera on ebay a couple on months ago, and have happily shot several rolls of hp5 with it. Now all of a sudden it's stopped working properly.
AF works, but the shutter refuses to release. I initially thought the shutter release button was faulty, especially since the shutter would stilll not release in MF mode, but I have now discovered that if I plug in a cable remote, the shutter does release, not only with the remote, but also with the camera's shutter release. On the other hand, it no longer tries to auto focus in AFS mode. In AFC mode it seems to work correctly as long as the cable release is plugged in. All very weird.
Does anyone have any idea what is going on, or even, what I can do to fix it?
Sparkston

12-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My *ist's shutter button went defunct. It would AF, but not trip the shutter. I could use a cable to shoot, but that had no effect on the trigger button. It seems to be a common problem, affecting some of the digital ists also, and no easy fix. I had my button replaced locally, but it cost about $120. A cheaper alternative, which is awkward but less so than than using the cable release all the time, would be to buy a grip, which has a shutter button on it too, albeit in a position for vertical shooting.

It may not be the same problem, but I suspect it is....