Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #1

SP1000 Shutter Release Hickup

Let me say I came across my Dad's old Asahi Pentax SP1000, only problem is it isn't in totally working condition. As it sits right now the shutter is only firing if I hit the shutter release abruptly with a good amount of force. It would be impossible for me to hold the camera up and press the release without rocking the whole body. If I rest the body on a desk and press the release with a quick tap it releases the shutter fine. If I slowly depress the release until it's in all the way nothing happens.

I'm interested in getting it working properly again, I reckon I have the tools around to be able to take the camera apart and try to fix it. As I am not a camera expert or anything I'm basically just mechanically troubleshooting the problem at the moment.

Any ideas or incite would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

12-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
Pentaxian

If you want to bring the camera to as good as possible condition, contact Eirc Henderson (his web site) for a quick quote. I believe Spotmatic CLA is about $70.

Or you can try this for now: remove the bottom cover (there are 4 small screws visible externally IIRC) and then use light-weighed oil (I use the one for sewing machines) to lubricate the contact surfaces of moving parts. Remember to use oil sparingly. I use the tip of a toothpick to apply oil. That will probably get the camera going again.

You may also want to replace the light seals and the mirror bumper.

Link to how-to

Another link

Contact Jon_Goodman@yahoo.com (second link above). He sells light seal/mirror bumper replacement kit.

Last edited by SOldBear; 12-07-2009 at 03:27 PM.