Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2020, 08:03 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
But did they really drop CLC or just stop advertising it?
In 1977 they went to a single cell with an oval pattern and dropped "CLC" and "Contrast Light Compensator" from product brochures and badging. The actual slide in terms of feature trimming started in 1975 when the full-information viewfinder from the SR-T 102 disappeared along with the mirror lockup was dropped from the SR-T 102 as part of the badge change to SR-T 202. The Rokkor Files Web site gives a pretty complete account as well as providing pdfs of brochures and such.
The Rokkor Files | SR-T Series

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-20-2020 at 01:57 PM.
01-20-2020, 05:22 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
In 1977 they went to a single cell with an oval pattern and dropped "CLC" and "Contrast Light Compensator" from product brochures and badging. The actual slide in terms of feature trimming started in 1975 when the full-information viewfinder from the SR-T 102 disappeared along with the mirror lockup.

The SR-T202 replaced the 102. Mine was badged CLC and had a full-information viewfinder.

Chris
01-20-2020, 01:35 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The SR-T202 replaced the 102. Mine was badged CLC and had a full-information viewfinder.

Chris
My mistake...I seem to have gotten my models mixed up and will retrace my path. It was the SR-T 201 (previously SR-T 101) that lost its CLC in 1977.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-20-2020 at 02:00 PM.
01-21-2020, 12:54 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Easy mistake to make as Minnies changed a lot. I almost always have to refer to the Rokkor Files as the chops and changes are quite confusing late on in the SRTs life.

01-21-2020, 11:31 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Crumpler Quote
The Chinese made versions are usually much more reasonably priced than the daft prices the metal ones get jacked up to. They are also a little lighter and just as well made as the Taiwan or Japan made ones in terms of function. Because they are more recent than the often worn-out or abused older Japanese ones, you can also find them in far better condition. So don't fall into the trap of assuming metal is good, plastic is bad. The metal ones hold their value more only because people have anti-plastic attitudes, so if you don't like photography based on taking great photos, but you do like making money selling gear, the Chinese version is no good for you.

I found the Chinese version to have a very strong top and bottom plate, a more basic prism focus centre, but it had a much better designed film pressure plate and roller system in the rear panel. One website I read was banging on about the Chinese having worse internal parts made of plastic and cheap metal, but mine was exactly the same as the Japanese version. Taking apart the Chinese version is much easier than the Japanese. After once owning the Chinese version, I came to the realisation that a lot of people are wrong to dismiss it just because it's not got a metal top and bottom.

Another way of thinking about it is that the A-series SMC lens system by Pentax has lots of plastic parts inside and with overall build but people love them and are willing to buy the lenses for seriously inflated prices. Plastic does not mean lower quality in terms of the photos you take with the gear.

Another way of thinking about it is that all modern cameras and all those built from roughly 1980 onwards have some aspects of plastic cases, tops, bottoms, and internal parts. It doesn't mean they are "bad" or dysfunctional.
Way to revive a 10 year old post. Plus, I don't think daft means what you think it does. The plastic 35+ years ago wasn't that great in quality and has had several decades to get abused and strip gears.