Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2020, 08:03 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
But did they really drop CLC or just stop advertising it?
In 1977 they went to a single cell with an oval pattern and dropped "CLC" and "Contrast Light Compensator" from product brochures and badging. The actual slide in terms of feature trimming started in 1975 when the full-information viewfinder from the SR-T 102 disappeared along with the mirror lockup was dropped from the SR-T 102 as part of the badge change to SR-T 202. The Rokkor Files Web site gives a pretty complete account as well as providing pdfs of brochures and such.
The Rokkor Files | SR-T Series

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-20-2020 at 01:57 PM.
01-20-2020, 05:22 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
In 1977 they went to a single cell with an oval pattern and dropped "CLC" and "Contrast Light Compensator" from product brochures and badging. The actual slide in terms of feature trimming started in 1975 when the full-information viewfinder from the SR-T 102 disappeared along with the mirror lockup.

The SR-T202 replaced the 102. Mine was badged CLC and had a full-information viewfinder.

Chris
01-20-2020, 01:35 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The SR-T202 replaced the 102. Mine was badged CLC and had a full-information viewfinder.

Chris
My mistake...I seem to have gotten my models mixed up and will retrace my path. It was the SR-T 201 (previously SR-T 101) that lost its CLC in 1977.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-20-2020 at 02:00 PM.
01-21-2020, 12:54 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Easy mistake to make as Minnies changed a lot. I almost always have to refer to the Rokkor Files as the chops and changes are quite confusing late on in the SRTs life.

01-21-2020, 11:31 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Crumpler Quote
The Chinese made versions are usually much more reasonably priced than the daft prices the metal ones get jacked up to. They are also a little lighter and just as well made as the Taiwan or Japan made ones in terms of function. Because they are more recent than the often worn-out or abused older Japanese ones, you can also find them in far better condition. So don't fall into the trap of assuming metal is good, plastic is bad. The metal ones hold their value more only because people have anti-plastic attitudes, so if you don't like photography based on taking great photos, but you do like making money selling gear, the Chinese version is no good for you.

I found the Chinese version to have a very strong top and bottom plate, a more basic prism focus centre, but it had a much better designed film pressure plate and roller system in the rear panel. One website I read was banging on about the Chinese having worse internal parts made of plastic and cheap metal, but mine was exactly the same as the Japanese version. Taking apart the Chinese version is much easier than the Japanese. After once owning the Chinese version, I came to the realisation that a lot of people are wrong to dismiss it just because it's not got a metal top and bottom.

Another way of thinking about it is that the A-series SMC lens system by Pentax has lots of plastic parts inside and with overall build but people love them and are willing to buy the lenses for seriously inflated prices. Plastic does not mean lower quality in terms of the photos you take with the gear.

Another way of thinking about it is that all modern cameras and all those built from roughly 1980 onwards have some aspects of plastic cases, tops, bottoms, and internal parts. It doesn't mean they are "bad" or dysfunctional.
Way to revive a 10 year old post. Plus, I don't think daft means what you think it does. The plastic 35+ years ago wasn't that great in quality and has had several decades to get abused and strip gears.
01-17-2023, 07:08 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Japan version:

1. says "Asahi corp Japan" on the back to plate under the winder (or something like that)
2. has a "fill plug" on the left side of the prism, where the battery test switch is found from the KX
3. all meter top and bottom plates
4. metal shutter speed selector.

Taiwan

1. Metal top and bottom plates
2. a small screw where the KX's battery test button was
3. Does not say Japan on the back of the top plate

China

1. plastic top and bottom
2. Does not say Asahi on the prism
3. does not have a bump or a screw where the KX's battery test was
4. Shutter speed dial does not have a silver edge, it is black plastic not metal
My made in Japan simply says "Asahi Opt. Co." under the winder. It does not say Japan. Does this vary?
01-17-2023, 11:33 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pblogic Quote
My made in Japan simply says "Asahi Opt. Co." under the winder. It does not say Japan. Does this vary?
The original K1000's released in 1976, should have "Japan" engraved under the winder along with "Asahi Opt. Co." Also the s/n should be on the top left. (The 1976 K100 also came with the K55/2 and a manual showing the K55/2 on the manual cover and referenced in it.

Phil.

01-21-2023, 09:06 PM - 2 Likes   #23

Additional info added to series IV for clarification.

There is much confusion surrounding identifying & dating of the Japan & Hong Kong versions of the K1000.

Although this is a very old thread which has been revived here are a few general notes to clear up a few misconceptions mentioned earlier in this thread about the K1000 which can be verified from the physical study of hundreds of K1000 bodies.

* K1000 bodies have never been assembled in Tiawan. This possibly comes from later M50/2 lenses used on the K1000 bodies ( & others) were of Tiawan origin which first appeared on series II K1000 bodies.
* K1000 bodies were produced in both Japan & Hong Kong from the very first production. Only the late K1000 series V (plastic top & bottom plates) bodies were produced in China along with some HK production.
* The presence of the bump or the ASAHI text or the AOCo logo alone does not constitute a K1000 body as being Japanese origin.
* The AOCo logo & the ASAHI text were dropped late in series III production when assembly was primarily moved to HK.
* If you compare two K1000 bodies from the same production period in series I through to series III, both the Jap & HK assembled bodies are 100% identical in construction & internal componentry.
* There is no reason for there to be a difference in the quality of the bodies assembled in either of the assembly locations. No doubt Pentax were simply taking advantage of cheaper labour costs.

* Series I - Japan & HK but predominantly Japan.
Series I bodies most easily identified from BOTH the bump on top & 750**** -> 79***** serial number range.
HK assembled series I bodies were 'assembly only' in HK. These bodies used Japan manufactured components.
If my memory is correct without looking back through notes, nylon gears for the shutter curtain tension adjustment first appeared late in Series I body in both the Jap & HK assembled bodies.
Serial numbers were located on the top plate but moved to bottom plate during transition period between series I & series II bodies.
Do not confuse with Series III bodies which also used the same serial number prefix used within this range (7******) but is located on bottom plate.
Origin can be confirmed by -
  • ' ASAHI OPT. CO., JAPAN engraved on back of top plate (RHS). Common for early series I
  • ' JAPAN ' engraved on bottom plate. ' ASAHI OPT. CO. ' engraved on the back of top plate (RHS) Not very common but a number of samples have been verified.
  • ' BODY ASSEMBLED IN HONG KONG ' engraved on bottom plate. ' ASAHI OPT. CO. ' engraved on the back of top plate (RHS), Not very common but a number of samples have been verified.
  • ' BODY ASSEMBLED IN HONG KONG ' sticker on bottom. ' ASAHI OPT. CO. ' engraved on the back of top plate (RHS). Common for late series I bodies
  • 'JAPAN' sticker on base plate (late in series). ' ASAHI OPT. CO. ' engraved on the back of top plate (RHS). Common for late series I bodies.
  • If there is no engraved origin & sticker has been lost there is no way to determine origin either externally or internally. However, if the sticker has been removed but residue remains origin can be reasonably assumed by the size of the remaining residue. Short 'JAPAN' or much longer 'ASSEMBLED IN HONG KONG'.

* Series II - Japan & HK but HK starts to dominate
Identified from serial number on bottom plate & 600**** -> 699**** serial number range.
Do not confuse with Series V bodies (plastic) which also used some serial numbers with the same prefix (6******).
HK assembled series II bodies were assembly only in HK. These used Japan manufactured components.
  • 'Japan' sticker on bottom plate.
  • 'ASSEMBLED IN Hong Kong' sticker on bottom plate.
  • If there is no engraved origin & sticker has been lost there is no way to determine origin either externally or internally. However, if the sticker has been removed but residue remains origin can be reasonably assumed by the size of the remaining residue. Short 'JAPAN' or much longer 'ASSEMBLED IN HONG KONG'.

* Series III - Japan & HK but HK is now the main assembly location
  • Japan sticker on bottom plate.
  • Hong Kong sticker on bottom plate.
  • If sticker has been lost there is no way to determine origin either externally or internally. However, if the sticker has been removed but residue remains origin can be reasonably assumed by the size of the remaining residue. Short 'JAPAN' or much longer 'ASSEMBLED IN HONG KONG'.

* Series IV - HK assembly only. No AOCo logo on top prism.
  • Metal top & bottom plates but no AOCo logo

* Series V - HK & China production (plastic top & botttom plates)

IF you have a K1000 SE it was manufactured in HK & would have been identified by a sticker on the base (Series I -> Series IV) as no SE's have been verified as manufactured in Japan.

Last edited by Tool_Horder; 02-02-2023 at 01:50 PM.
01-30-2023, 03:45 AM   #24

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tool_Horder Quote
There is much confusion surrounding identifying & dating of the Japan & Hong Kong versions of the K1000.

Although this is a very old thread which has been revived here are a few general notes to clear up a few misconceptions mentioned earlier in this thread about the K1000 which can be verified from the physical study of hundreds of K1000 bodies.<snip>.
Many thanks for this. I was given my cousin's K1000, purchased in the UK in 1980, and can now identify it as a Series II 'Made in Japan' version.

* The serial Number begins 698***
* It has a 'Japan' sticker on the bottom plate, but no engraving.
* The AOCo logo is on the pentaprism.
* There is no sticky-up lumpy thing next to the film rewind knob.
* It has metal top and bottom plates.
* On the back of the top-plate, beneath the winder, it has engraved 'Asahi Opt Co'. No country-of-origin, so suspect Pentax were preparing for HK production and for transitional stages of production, so a sticker would do the job. Similarly with the lack of engraving of the bottom plate.

Plastic better than metal? I doubt it. My experience with plastic of that period ('70s - '80s) is that it turns crumbly and brittle, like cheese, and will eventually degrade. I've seen this with calculators and CD player gear cogs. Some is better than others. To be fair, my Canon AE-1 top hasn't degraded yet. And in this day-and-age of 3D printers, it should be possible to make, or have made, a replacement. But I've been suspicious of plastic ever since I was a kid and my brand-new Hornby model tank-engine locomotive lasted about a month before the plastic drive cog wore out and became useless.

I note from the K1000 service manual that the K1000 is classed as a Spotmatic. I never knew this!
01-30-2023, 02:24 PM - 4 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's some shots of my 1976 K1000 with K55/2 lens and manual:

Phil.
Attached Images

02-01-2023, 09:37 PM   #26

Photos: Gallery
During its 21 years long production run, K1000s were made in three different places, Japan (until 1978), Hong Kong (until 1990) and Mainland China. The reason behind the shift in production line locations is obviously labour cost. Quality-wise, the Hong Kong made K1000s are pretty much (almost exactly) the same as their Japan made brothers. The only difference is the missing of “Made in Japan” after the words “ASAHI OPT. CO.” on the back of the body. This is shown in the photo of my Hong Kong made copy below. However, things changed when the production line shifted to Mainland China. The top and bottom plates plus many parts in the winding/rewind mechanisms were replaced with plastic. To distinguish Chinese made K1000s from the others, there is no Asahi logo on their pentaprisms. (Source: Pentax K1000 | MY CAMERA CABINET)

02-02-2023, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by AsahiRaccoon Quote
Quality-wise, the Hong Kong made K1000s are pretty much (almost exactly) the same as their Japan made brothers.
Japan assembled & Hong Kong assembled bodies of the same manufacturing period are 100% identical in components used. The key point here being 'the same manufacturing period'. Componentry materials did change over the full production period. However, there was never any difference in componentry materials of the same production period between either the Japan or Hong Kong assembled bodies. The most obvious change that people tend to notice & quite often quote as a difference in quality or country of origin in internet posts was the change to the nylon gears used for the shutter mechanism. This is probably because it is the first obvious difference noted when the bottom plate is removed. This change occurred late in series I bodies both in the Japan & Hong Kong origin bodies all around the same serial number range. This change has absolutely no effect on quality or life expectancy of the shutter mechanism. This gear is simply a worm gear driven mechanism used to set the tension of the shutter curtain spring. Once set it is then locked into place & never has to move again. The only exception is during a camera service. This gear is never subject to any wear & tear in everyday use. The main gains in weight reduction over the production period for series I -> series IV bodies was a change in the alloy used for the bulkiest part of the camera - the chassis. The change to plastic componentry during series I -> IV production was very minimal. Even in series V bodies which seen a big swing to plastic, the use of plastic was mainly on external parts & not within the main camera mechanism.

QuoteOriginally posted by AsahiRaccoon Quote
To distinguish Chinese made K1000s from the others, there is no Asahi logo on their pentaprisms.
The AOCo logo was dropped from the pentaprism with the release of series IV bodies ( circa. 1988 - 89) which still have chrome plated brass top & bottom plates. Series IV bodies were all of Hong Kong origin. China production started with series V which seen the change to plastic top & bottom plates. The plastic plates are the main distinguishing feature of a series V body & not the absence of the AOCo logo as the plastic plates are very easy to spot in images & is specific to the start of series V.