Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2009, 11:18 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good to hear it should be a simple fix. Holding out for such a clean one, getting it CLA'd...you're probably saving a bunch of money for a camera in great shape.

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Thanks for the tip, will do. That doesn't sound too promising though, I was thinking about looking for an MX next. Why is it all the lust objects are also the expensive ones?
The MX isn't at LX price levels...you should be able to find one around $100. They are THE love/hate camera around here Some people love the controls and LEDs and size (me), while others would rather have a "full size" KX with match needles.

Either way, testing one for yourself you shouldn't lose much (if any) money. If you like the LX, I think you'll like the MX
QuoteOriginally posted by dandaniel Quote
Art, ask and read around about MXs, and about repair work on them. I'm just one person. You can write Eric and ask him directly, also. He sees lots of cameras and knows which models have problems, which ones are just getting old, etc. He's never written to me that he doesn't want to work on MXs; I'm just reading between the lines, and my camera body gave both of us some problems.
What was wrong with yours?

I got a used MX off here and after a "personal" CLA, it's perfect.

12-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dandaniel Quote
Art, ask and read around about MXs, and about repair work on them. I'm just one person. You can write Eric and ask him directly, also. He sees lots of cameras and knows which models have problems, which ones are just getting old, etc. He's never written to me that he doesn't want to work on MXs; I'm just reading between the lines, and my MX body gave both of us some problems.
Eric did a CLA on my MESuper, which had been stored in a finished basement that flooded in the great 1993 Mississippi River flood. I had to send it back twice - he replaced the corroded meter coupling and some of the electronics (as well as the broken tripod mount), and some other stuff, I think.

IIRC, he wrote that parts in these cameras age at the same pace, and often work together in deteriorated form just fine until one part fails.

Sometimes once a part of one of these cameras fails and you replace it, a certain stress is placed on the next (deteriorated) part in line, causing it to fail . . . and so on.

The camera has some sentimental value to me, but is cosmetically (relatively) challenged compared to my other cameras, so I use it as a quick "pocket" camera with an M50/1.7.

Eric never charged me for the subsequent repairs.
12-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
he MX isn't at LX price levels...you should be able to find one around $100. They are THE love/hate camera around here Some people love the controls and LEDs and size (me), while others would rather have a "full size" KX with match needles.
Count me in the pro-LED crowd. I'm about to sell my Nikon FE2 because I don't care for the needle. I guess the needle is more pure, but I prefer something I can actually see in dark situations.
12-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Count me in the pro-LED crowd. I'm about to sell my Nikon FE2 because I don't care for the needle. I guess the needle is more pure, but I prefer something I can actually see in dark situations.
Give the film group a head's up before you send your Nikon and Bessa to the marketplace or eBay. Those are both desirable cameras that many of us might like first dibs on.

Steve

(Too poor at present myself...)

12-12-2009, 01:58 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Too late on the Bessa R3a (I just sold it to a gentleman in Germany a few hours ago), but I did send one guy here a PM after I listed the Bessa R3a. After he saw this photo of the Bessa, LX, and FE2 side-by-side in another thread he told me to let him know when I listed the Bessa. I may actually just list my FE2 here instead of eBay. Seems like less of a hassle. I just want to check my F100 out when it arrives before listing the FE2 to make sure its working fine (I don't want to be left with no camera while the LX is in the shop).

Needle vs LED aside, I really do like the FE2. In fact I thought it was the perfect old school film camera before I got my LX. And really, the differences between the two of them are minor for the most part (at least to me), but still, I never intended on keeping both. I just bought them both to see which I preferred.
12-18-2009, 12:01 AM   #21

Ryan S, to reply to your question about the problems with my MX body:

1) The shutter would fire without the mirror lifting. I think I explained this pretty clearly to Eric, and it came back to me with the same problem. On the second return, it still had the problem.

It turns out that if you don't fully cock the lever on an MX, this can happen. After the first return, Eric wrote that this shouldn't be happening. After the second return, he wrote that he tried just slightly short winding on his MXs and got the false firing result.

I still don't know how much this issue is bad communication by either me or Eric, me being just really 'good' at coming short on winding so I was getting the problem more often than most people, it being a new problem for Eric, or something more.

2) Flash sync: one shutter curtain is still in the frame slightly when using flash (about 1-1.5mm?). I had not used flash on the camera before it went to Eric. He discovered a broken hot shoe and fixed it. On its first return, I discovered the curtain in the frame. On its second return, same problem.

This problem seems new or extreme to Eric. He has ideas on what he might try next, but is not certain.

I think my MX has 'character' or a ghost or a worn-out subsystem or two. If it was a Leica M3 being rebuilt by Leica, I am sure that they would have parts and measurement tools, etc., to make the camera near-new. And I would pay 5-10 times what I paid Eric ($80).

The reason I say that I think Eric would be fine not working on MXs is that I had an ME Super in to him at the same time. It, too, had to be returned because he missed that the shutter was simply shot and would not hold high speeds (as you might imgaine, 2 cameras out of 2 needing to go back is not impressive; it is his reputation and his honesty that keep me from being upset. My bad luck, and maybe he has gotten out all of his mistakes and missteps for the next year on my cameras!).

Any conversations about the ME Super were very simple, straightforward. Any conversation about work on the MX always included a comment about how difficult it was to do X or Y on the MX. It is these repeated short comments that lead to believe that the MX is not high on his list.
12-18-2009, 11:23 AM   #22

Photos: Albums
The MX and the LX are in a class of their own. The LX is a "Professional" unit and Pentax treated that way in cost of repair and cost of parts. A Mercedes is just a car with wheel's, right? So the LX is also just a camera.

Getting back to the MX. The MX has revealed to me engineering flaws which can not be corrected through adjustments or calibration. The camera's have been modified over the years, about three for the MX and at least six for the LX. And the right parts are getting hard to locate.
I don't shy away from MX units or LX units or any units. Any camera can give me a headache. Any unit can be fixed if worked on long enough but when do you say enough is enough?
Sorry, got to get down off the soap box.
Thank you for your support.
12-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #23

Photos: Albums
Exposure Problem

I just got my first few rolls of film back taken with with my newly acquired Pentax LX and my love affair with that camera has come to a screeching halt. Can someone tell me what's going on with my camera? It looks like the horizontal plane shutter isn't clearing totally out of the way when an exposure is being made. Not all of the pics are like this, but I'd estimate 2/3's are.

I really really wish I would have tested this camera out with some cheapo film before running Velvia 100 through it.
New to this, I hope it works. Either the first curtain is too slow or the second is too fast.
Eric

12-18-2009, 02:08 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EricTn Quote
New to this, I hope it works. Either the first curtain is too slow or the second is too fast.
Eric
Welcome. And yep, working fine. I assume that means you got my LX? I haven't checked the tracking, but I assume it should be in TN by now.
12-18-2009, 02:21 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Eric
Eric!

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Thanks for your comments. You have legendary status on this forum and expectations are high when work is sent to you. Thank you for letting us in on some of the difficulties you face with some bodies.

Steve

(Was shooting with my KX you CLA'ed just this morning...)
12-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #26
Pentaxian

The MX and the LX are in a class of their own. The LX is a "Professional" unit and Pentax treated that way in cost of repair and cost of parts. A Mercedes is just a car with wheel's, right? So the LX is also just a camera.

Getting back to the MX. The MX has revealed to me engineering flaws which can not be corrected through adjustments or calibration. The camera's have been modified over the years, about three for the MX and at least six for the LX. And the right parts are getting hard to locate.
I don't shy away from MX units or LX units or any units. Any camera can give me a headache. Any unit can be fixed if worked on long enough but when do you say enough is enough?
Sorry, got to get down off the soap box.
Thank you for your support.
That kinda saddens me...I like the MX most of all Mine is working great so hopefully it's got some years ahead of it.

Welcome!
12-18-2009, 04:11 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Eric
Haha! Welcome. Of course, now you'll find yourself peppered with questions. (Have a little job to ask about, myself, soon. )
12-18-2009, 04:50 PM   #28

Welcome Eric

Personally I could never get on with the MX and couldn't see why people rave about them. So I sold it to a forum member who likes it and uses it more than I ever would have