Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2008, 08:04 AM   #16

ME super

Hello:

I too use a ME Super and find the dial almost impossible to turn..though it does work. I also describe the camera as tiny...and my wide hands have problems with the dial..and with the push-buttons to use the camera in anything other than aperture-priority.

Because the camera is tiny, it does not attract attention on the street the way my Nikon
D70s does. As a result, a great camera for street photography when I too can afford the film and developing.

I use a SMC 50mm 1.2, a Rokinon 28-80mm 3.5-4.5 and a kal 28-200...all but the Pentax SMC 50mm inherited lenses.

I am just now running film through the 28-80 for the first time. I have no idea about the quality of the lens...so am keeping my fingers crossed and shooting at various apertures with 400 speed B&W film. I have used TRI-X with the 50mm and have gotten good results. Now I am trying Kodak 400cn B&W with this lens combination.

Not only am I having to learn how to think in B&W, I have to get used to using new lens combinations. Fun!

03-30-2008, 11:37 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Problem with ME Super

Hi,

I just received an old but almost mint ME Super.

The camera seemed to be in perfect working order, and I opened the back door to see if everything was ok inside. I closed the door without adding a film roll, and hit the front lever that fires the camera after a delay by mistake. The mirror went up the shutte fired, and the mirror stayed up, and is now stuck in the upward position. I tried removing the batteries, and it didn't change anything. What could be done?

The batteries seemed fine before that, the LCDs in the viewfinder worked properly. I have tried switching the camera to 125x or Bulb, and the mirror is not coming down. I can move it with my fingers (not that I want to do that...). The lever used to advance the film between shots won't move more than 90 degrees, as if it had alredy been activated, and was waiting for another shot to be taken.

Thank you.
03-30-2008, 01:05 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi bdery

Not too sure myself but have a look at this link:
Pentax Forum: Suck Mirror - Pentax Me Super - photo.net

cheers
Kenny
03-30-2008, 02:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

This link has some pretty good information on the ME Super. I would try "resetting" the camera and see if that helps.

03-30-2008, 07:33 PM   #20
Veteran Member

This might not be the problem with your camera;

Because of the automatic shutter of the ME if it is in "Auto", and you have the lens cap on, and you release the shutter, you will end up with a very long exposure. It can seam like the mirror is stuck, when in fact it is just calculating the exposure for, well, black.

The solution is to turn the mode dial to manual or to 125.

Edit:

Ok. I retract my post. You did try the 125 trick.

I should read more.
03-30-2008, 07:49 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Follow-up

Hi again,

thanks for all the pointers, honestly I didn't expect that much help so fast.

The second curtain looks good, I don't think it's stuck.
I can move the mirror if I want to, but it snaps back up.
I tried hitting the camera on the flat of my hand.

I will try new batteries as soon as I can get them. In the meanwhile, what's CLA? (I'm French-speaking...) And how does one fully reset the camera? I did try removing the batteries, but now they're back in.
03-30-2008, 11:10 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see you already pressed the white button in the dial and moved it to 125X so my guess is that it might just be the light seals that need replacemnt and that made your mirror to stick to the top.
Try moving it with your finger, without applying much pressure and check to see if it comes down with gunk in it.
Get one of Jon Goodman's seals kit and replace them yourself (takes 45 minutes tops)

CLA = Clean Lubrication Adjustment

PS. I see you already tried this, have you tried shooting again in 125X?

03-31-2008, 11:18 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I have tried every mode after moving the mirror with my nails (and with the lever on the left of it). I have tried removing and adding the batteries. I have tried moving the second curtain just to see if it was stuck, and it seems to be firmly down. I wonder if I should be able to raise it, however, I cannot do that or at least, not without fear of damaging it).

I've been told to reset the camera, and to look at kyphoto's explanations on how to do that. However, I haven't found how to do this on this website, only how to unbend a pin that causes auto-release.
03-31-2008, 01:34 PM   #24
Veteran Member

To do the "reset" you will have to remove the bottom plate on the camera. From there you should be able to see most of the mechanical workings that trip the shutter and mirror. The very last photo on the first page of the Kyphoto link I provided above shows the lever that resets the mirror. When I was working on my ME Super I was able to trip the lever by moving it with a little screwdriver. This should reset the mirror, but no guarantees that it will not happen again. After 20 plus years, rubber seals and gaskets start to turn to goo and things start to stick together. This is why people recommend a CLA (clean, lube, adjust) for your camera. That should set everything right if you don't want to work on it yourself.
04-03-2008, 05:37 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Thank you for your help. I've been able to reset the camera, and I used the film winding lever to prime it again. Of course, now the shutter release button only allows me to half-press... Everything else (curtains, etc) looks fine at a glance.

I think the camera really needs to pass into expert hands.