Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2009, 03:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Help! Stuck TC on my K1000

I bought a Pentax K1000 recently - mainly because it came with a Pentax-A 50/1.2!

But, while testing it with other lenses, including a Vivitar 2x PK-A/R-PK Teleconverter.

Somehow, now the TC is stuck on the body. I might have been playing with the aperture pin in the TC with no lens on it, not sure. I know this has the Ricoh pin in it but I didn't think this would be an issue on the MF bodies - or is it?
I can actually twist the TC ~ 45 degrees CCW but it won't come off the body. I don't want to force it.

Any ideas/suggestions?

12-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Keep twisting really hard. Also, in addition to trying to free up the pin, try adjusting the aperture ring both ways, and also try extending the lens. That might help you get a better grip on it.
12-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried to insert an automotive feeler gauge under the pin location? That's he traditional "Ricoh Pin" removal technique.

Here's a website instruction to remove the offending pin (if you need that), as well as good images to locate the pin for the feeler gauge insertion
12-13-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Have you tried to insert an automotive feeler gauge under the pin location? That's he traditional "Ricoh Pin" removal technique.

Here's a website instruction to remove the offending pin (if you need that), as well as good images to locate the pin for the feeler gauge insertion

I was thinking it might be the Ricoh pin but I can twist the lens ~ 45 deg CCW.
How many degrees do I need to twist to take off a lens? Do you guys think that maybe the pin stops it from twisting a little bit more?

12-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PentHassyKon Quote
I was thinking it might be the Ricoh pin but I can twist the lens ~ 45 deg CCW.
How many degrees do I need to twist to take off a lens? Do you guys think that maybe the pin stops it from twisting a little bit more?
Go to the linked website and look at the photos. If you think about how the lens mount looks (and the camera body mount), the flanges mate, then the lens turns about 1/4 CW turn to lock. When you depress the release the lens rotates about 1/4 CCW and pulls out. I would bet the pin is JUST sticking on the edge of the body mount flange, preventing the lens from rotating enough to clear the flange.

The feeler gauge might work.
12-13-2009, 08:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Don't force anything!!!!!!

I doubt this is a Ricoh pin issue -- it could be a damaged (or improperly engaged) aperture coupling lever.

Best to let a repair shop sort this out, and if necessary, sacrifice the teleconverter to save the body.

Last edited by troyz; 12-13-2009 at 08:20 PM. Reason: improperly engaged
12-13-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Go to the linked website and look at the photos. If you think about how the lens mount looks (and the camera body mount), the flanges mate, then the lens turns about 1/4 CW turn to lock. When you depress the release the lens rotates about 1/4 CCW and pulls out. I would bet the pin is JUST sticking on the edge of the body mount flange, preventing the lens from rotating enough to clear the flange.

The feeler gauge might work.
QuoteOriginally posted by troyz Quote

I doubt this is a Ricoh pin issue -- it could be a damaged (or improperly engaged) aperture coupling lever.

Best to let a repair shop sort this out, and if necessary, sacrifice the teleconverter to save the body.
thx guys!
I will try the feeler gauge 1st - unfortunately since I no longer tune-up my own cars due to electronic ignition I don't have a feeler gauge set in my toolbox anymore. Have to wait till I get to work tomorrow and borrow one from the shop guys.

Failing the feeler gauge, well... I'm willing to sacrifice the TC if need be as troyz suggests- I was intending to use it as a K/A extension tube anyways. How do I go about doing that? Also, your guess that it may be due an improperly engaged aperture coupling lever might be right. I recall messing with the lever - what does this improper engagement look like? I can open the back and look while on "B" at the back of the lens.

12-14-2009, 06:27 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Yes, you can see the aperture connection with back open and on bulb.
I doubt it is the pin. I've used Ricoh lenses on all my K1000's for years.
12-14-2009, 09:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Take a look at
Features and Operation of the Original K-Mount

There are two mechanical connections between the lens and the body.
1. Stop-down indicator (lens) acutates the Stop-down coupler (body)
2. Diaphragm release (body) actuates the diaphragm actuator (lens)

You can see (2) from the back (with shutter open), but it's actually (1) that I'm concerned about. If the coupler on the body or the indicator on the teleconverter is faulty, you could end up with the coupler on the wrong side of the indicator.

FWIW, here's what can happen to the body if you apply force:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/512236-post27.html

Sorry, I don't know of a quick/universal DIY fix for this problem.

Last edited by troyz; 12-14-2009 at 09:59 AM. Reason: typo
12-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by troyz Quote

My thoughts as well! Sometimes the lever slips past its mate. Forcing it can permanently damage both the body and the lens!

Steve