Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2009, 04:46 AM   #1
Forum Member

P30t keeps winding on...

Went out to take some night shots a few nights back.

Took one shot and then wound the camera on. Tried to take another, this time using the self timer, and the shutter didn't release. Tried to wind the camera on and it kept going and going.

I've since taken the film out in a dark room and replaced it but the problem is still there.

Any ideas as to where the issue may lie?

12-15-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Does the shutter fire or is it inoperable? Is there a lot of resistance in the wind lever, or none at all?

With the camera empty of film, open in the back. On the right side, you'll notice the film takeup spool. To the left of that is a sprocket. When you advance the winder, does that sprocket move?
12-16-2009, 06:13 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Does the shutter fire or is it inoperable? Is there a lot of resistance in the wind lever, or none at all?

With the camera empty of film, open in the back. On the right side, you'll notice the film takeup spool. To the left of that is a sprocket. When you advance the winder, does that sprocket move?
The shutter doesn't fire. It can be pressed down as normal, but nothing happens.
I took the film out and the sprocket is winding is moving as normal.
12-16-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Ok, now it's time to dig deeper. The problem is going to be keeping the winding lever working with the battery out of it. You'd have to find a way to rig up the battery...use wire or something. I've never messed with a battery-dependant camera for long enough to warrant a solution...

Remove the battery and then remove the bottom cover. There is a small piece for the film rewind button...be careful to keep track of it.

Then, once under there, you'll see how stuff winds with the gears, levers, etc. There should be something "missing" its mark...just have to poke around with a small screwdriver.

I know it's not much help...but "poking around" and observing the movements usually tells you where the issue is

12-16-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Remove the battery and then remove the bottom cover. There is a small piece for the film rewind button...be careful to keep track of it.

Then, once under there, you'll see how stuff winds with the gears, levers, etc. There should be something "missing" its mark...just have to poke around with a small screwdriver.

I know it's not much help...but "poking around" and observing the movements usually tells you where the issue is
Sounds like a project for the Xmas holidays

Thanks for the help!
12-16-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Keep the cursing to a minimum and it can be an enjoyable hobby
12-17-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just started having this problem with my P3n (mostly identical). At first, exercising the camera would fix it for as long as the film lasted. Then returning the wind lever r-e-a-l-l-y slow would sometimes help. I haven't investigated yet. I just bought a spare camera from Ryan in case I need parts.

I know from previous experience that the bottom plate may stick a little under the lens mount when you try to remove it.
12-17-2009, 03:40 PM   #8
Pentaxian

It helps immensely if you can have a working camera side-by-side when diagnosing another

Most Pentax cameras look the same under the bottom plate, at least the basics. Digging any deeper is an adventure I have yet to go on

12-31-2009, 06:44 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Does anyone have a photo of the workings of the P30t or similar?
I can't figure the problem out and my superA is at the other end of the country.
01-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here are some photos from my P3n. The P3 is the same, I hope the P30t is too. The red arrow in the first photo is resting on a black oxide colored pawl. If that part isn't moving correctly, it will cause the symtoms you describe. In the photo, the pawl is in the shutter cocked position.

When the shutter is released, the pawl moves away from the chrome part just above it in the photo. Wind the rewind lever and the camera looks like this:

You can see a gap between the black pawl and the chrome part. When the wind lever begins to return, another pawl engages the gear teeth in the chrome part. That's marked by the red arrow in this photo. After the fifth tooth clicks by, the black pawl should move back in contact with the chrome wheel. As the last tooth clicks by, there are three more teeth engaged by the black pawl. Then it should move back to the cocked position in the first photo.

On my camera, the problem was intermittent. I could nudge the black pawl back into position and it would work fine. I did this several times to figure out the mechanism. Now it works every time, so I don't exactly know what's broken. I don't want to take it apart further. If it acts up later, I can get it working without unloading film. You might be tempted to lubricate it, but I've read that these mechanisms are designed to use little or no lubrication.
01-07-2010, 10:51 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This advance problem is very common in the P and M series camera's. There is a lever which sits on a rubber bumper, it is suppose to move back to the set position after the camera fires. When this bumper get's sticky it hold the lever from moving back and doesn't let the shutter set for the next shot. And when it does set the film it might work for a while but will jam again.