Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Back To The Future <EEK!>

I am just really dipping into the nostalgia this week! I was sorting through some old stuff and found the ultimate of ancient artifacts...(drum roll!)

The First Three Rolls of 35mm Film Ever
Yep, I found the beginnings of my 35mm film career. The pictures below were taken with my Yashica Lynx 1000 (rangefinder!) in the summer of 1969 when I was 14 years old. I took the pictures and also processed the negatives. Please forgive the general quality. I was new and had no tripod nor the good sense of when to use it! There was also the matter of attaining accurate focus!

Yashica Lynx 1000, Tri-X ASA 400 in D-76

As you can tell, my choice of subjects has not changed much in 40 years!

Steve

12-15-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

These are really good! I can see what people are talking about when they say those B&W films have archival quality. You could easily have taken these pictures yesterday and nobody would have questioned you.

Is that spot still accessible today? It would be interesting to see how it's changed over the years.
12-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by keyser Quote
These are really good! I can see what people are talking about when they say those B&W films have archival quality. You could easily have taken these pictures yesterday and nobody would have questioned you.

Is that spot still accessible today? It would be interesting to see how it's changed over the years.
My 14 year-old self thanks you! I am not sure about the location of the photos. I remember they were taken at a small stream northwest of a campground near Greenwater, Washington. IIRC, the land and campground were owned by Weyerhauser timber and may have been logged since the pictures were taken.

Edit: Found it! The pictures were taken along the Huckleberry Mountain Trail near Greenwater, Washington. The small stream is unnamed. I think a Boy Scout Camp Sheppard may currently occupy the site

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-15-2009 at 04:25 PM.
12-15-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am just really dipping into the nostalgia this week! I was sorting through some old stuff and found the ultimate of ancient artifacts...(drum roll!)

The First Three Rolls of 35mm Film Ever
Yep, I found the beginnings of my 35mm film career. The pictures below were taken with my Yashica Lynx 1000 (rangefinder!) in the summer of 1969 when I was 14 years old. I took the pictures and also processed the negatives. Please forgive the general quality. I was new and had no tripod nor the good sense of when to use it! There was also the matter of attaining accurate focus!

As you can tell, my choice of subjects has not changed much in 40 years!

Steve
I wouldn't apologize for these if I had taken them yesterday, and I'm 69 let alone 14". These are great photos, I wish that they were mine.

12-15-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
I wouldn't apologize for these if I had taken them yesterday, and I'm 69 let alone 14". These are great photos, I wish that they were mine.
Thanks for the high compliment! The thing that I find remarkable is that the grain is as fine it is. The tonality is a little harsh; but hey, it's Tri-X. I haven't shot Tri-X since the mid-70s and had forgotten how good it is for general shooting.

Steve
12-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
These look very good.

I really have to go dig my stuff up from that time period.

I am soooooo tempted to pick up a Yashica rangefinder actually. Have been struggling with that. You are NOT helping matters.

woof
12-15-2009, 05:48 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
These look very good.

I really have to go dig my stuff up from that time period.

I am soooooo tempted to pick up a Yashica rangefinder actually. Have been struggling with that. You are NOT helping matters.

woof
You can't get one until I get a working copy here! My Lynx 5000 arrived a couple of days ago DOA. It is beautiful cosmetically, but there is evidence of a botched disassembly and repair. Price refunded and I keep the camera. Beautiful paper weight.

There is a nice looking Electro 35 on CL here in Vancouver/Portland for $45 with flash, but I really like having the manual option.

Steve
12-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

You can't get one until I get a working copy here!
Sorry to hear about your DOA. Glad all ends well in that story. Let us know how you do... I'd love to see photos...

My taste runs to the The Electro 35 CC or CCN. Only about 10,000 units ever made so actually pretty rare. Light meter resides in the lens ring so that you can use filters and still get a good reading. It was current at the time that i was fist starting in photography. A friend on the yearbook had one and I always loved the contrasty, punchy pictures that thing produced. Not to mention that it is quite compact overall. See here: Yashica Electro CC - a set on Flickr

I'd love to run some Ektar through one of these. Not to mention some Tri-X.

woof!

12-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #9
Pentaxian

There is a nice looking Electro 35 on CL here in Vancouver/Portland for $45 with flash, but I really like having the manual option.
Yes. The Electro 35 is beautiful, with a very sharp lens. But my biggest complain is that I have no idea what the shutter speed is set to.

What about Canonet GIII QL17? I have a copy of it. It was the first range finder that I restored.

I think I like the IQ of the Electro 35's lens better. But the Canonet is more compact, and it does give you manual option.
12-15-2009, 10:56 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sorry to hear about your DOA. Glad all ends well in that story. Let us know how you do... I'd love to see photos...
All ending well...not quite...I still got stuck $16.00 for the shipping. We will see how this all shakes out. I won a Lynx 5000E, supposedly in working condition that I got for $12.50 + $15.00 shipping (heavy things those lynx). It is due to be delivered next week. You can see it here...

...My taste runs to the The Electro 35 CC or CCN. Only about 10,000 units ever made so actually pretty rare. Light meter resides in the lens ring so that you can use filters and still get a good reading. It was current at the time that i was fist starting in photography. A friend on the yearbook had one and I always loved the contrasty, punchy pictures that thing produced. Not to mention that it is quite compact overall. See here: Yashica Electro CC - a set on Flickr

I'd love to run some Ektar through one of these. Not to mention some Tri-X...
Very pretty. 35mm f/1.8 lens? Great for street work!

My favorite of the Electro 35 series is the black "Professional" model with the gold contacts. Classic!

Steve
12-15-2009, 11:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I like the bottom 2 photos Steve, however I Love the top one
12-15-2009, 11:03 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I like the bottom 2 photos Steve, however I Love the top one
Thanks! Maybe I should spend some scan and PP time with these

Steve
12-16-2009, 12:31 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That is quite a story to share. I love the first one too. It is a beautiful shot. Did you develop the shot? I am new to D-76, was it something that you use to develop your shot with the tri-x film. All these terms are new to me and I miss all the good old stories that the digital forum will scratch their heads like I do. Thank you for sharing yours.

Warmest,
Hin
12-16-2009, 03:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Good stuff there, and developing too - was that a basement set up or what's the story there?
12-16-2009, 08:48 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
That is quite a story to share. I love the first one too. It is a beautiful shot. Did you develop the shot? I am new to D-76, was it something that you use to develop your shot with the tri-x film. All these terms are new to me and I miss all the good old stories that the digital forum will scratch their heads like I do. Thank you for sharing yours.

Warmest,
Hin
D-76 is a general purpose film developer from Kodak. You mix it up from powder. It is the old standby film developer for those of us who learned in the Kodak world.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Good stuff there, and developing too - was that a basement set up or what's the story there?
Basement? That would have been nice! I made a temporary darkroom in the upstairs bathroom and sealed the door and windows with a board and towels stuffed into the cracks.

Steve