Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2007, 05:20 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Meter older lenses on the *ist?

Is there anyway to meter with older manual lenses on the *ist 35mm? I've read that this is not possible, but I wanted to make sure there were no "work arounds" before passing on the chance to buy one. Thanks in advance.

06-17-2007, 05:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Go here

Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Equipment Page

read about the crippled Kaf mount, there is a work around listed but you will meter wide open and then adjust accordingly. I like my *ist, very small and lite, to save the hassle I use Ka or Kaf lens only.
06-17-2007, 11:39 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So does the AE-l button trick work like the k100d(see here)? Similar to how the green button works on my k10-d. I don't use the older m lenses that much, but would like the ability to use them on occasion.
06-17-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vertex Ninja Quote
So does the AE-l button trick work like the k100d(see here)? Similar to how the green button works on my k10-d. I don't use the older m lenses that much, but would like the ability to use them on occasion.
No, the AE-L button does not do the trick on the *ist film camera.
You can use Av mode. The lens will always be fully open, but the camera will set the exposure time correctly matching the full open aperture. Not a great solution, though.

06-17-2007, 02:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You can always drill a little notch in the mount of your M- or K- lenses that will lock them in several degrees off - and then they will work in stop-down Av mode.
06-17-2007, 02:15 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
That's a shame. Thanks everyone for your help.

Edit: carpents: How would that lens act once put on the k10d? Would it still dim the viewfinder when I changed the aperture?
06-17-2007, 03:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vertex Ninja Quote
That's a shame. Thanks everyone for your help.

Edit: carpents: How would that lens act once put on the k10d? Would it still dim the viewfinder when I changed the aperture?
Unfortunately, yes. You would essentially lock the lens in place before the aperture lever is coupled with the camera.
06-17-2007, 06:12 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, it's still an option though. It would be great if there was a way to temporarily mod the lens depending on the camera it's mounted.

On another note... to those of you that have the camera, would you recommend it to someone who has a K10D as my main camera and wants a 35mm for fun and experimenting with film. It would be my first film SLR. I'm also looking at the MZ-3(if I can find one) and MZ/ZX-5n. Any first hand experience between them and the *ist? does the *ist have a pentaprism or pentamirror? Thanks in advance.

06-17-2007, 08:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi Vertex Ninja

I used to own *ist film body, now I have got MZ-5 and a ME Super (just got it just last week), and I will be replacing the MZ-5 with MZ-5n when Erl (Wethphotography) comes back from his holiday.

*ist film body is very small, too small to tell you the truth. It feels much better with the grip which I got after I bought the camera. Apart from unable to meter with old lenses, another thing I don't like about it is the mirror slap doesn't seem to be buffered too well (or it could just be because the body is so small and plastic that the vibration just feels bigger than it actually is).

Apart from those points, *ist film body is very decent. It has the latest AF system and metering is very accurate .

PS. I will be selling my MZ-5 if you are interested.

cheers
Kenny
06-17-2007, 09:27 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Kenny. Looks like I'll be holding out for an MZ-3( i'm in the US). I really want the higher shutter speed, flash stuff, and correct metering with my few manual lenses. Thanks for the offer on the MZ-5 anyway.
07-15-2007, 06:09 PM   #11

I have a *ist too and have just upgraded to a Pentax MZ-S because of the crippled-K mount.

The MZ-S is winging its way to me right now and has everything the *ist has and more without the crippled mount. It allows the user to mount everything from M42 lenses (with adapter), K's, M's, A's, FA's etc with no problems.

Only problem is the price and availability but I don't think there are many Pentax bodies around that are better than this one - the LX maybe?
07-26-2007, 04:37 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just got an *ist and a ZX-5n recently on eBay. I was going to try out both and keep my favorite, but neither seems perfect to me.

I love how small and compact the *ist is. The controls are similar to my K100D, but even better with quick access to focus modes, ISO, etc. And, as I understand it, it can share all of my K100D accessories. Since it allows me to control the aperture on the body, my DA 40mm is a PERFECT match for it. The crippled mount is hugely dissappointing though. Not being able to meter older lenses using the AE-L button just makes it even worse.

The ZX-5n layout is a little confusing to me, but it still has all the features that I would want. Having a non-crippled mount is great, but this camera doesn't support aperture controls on the body! I can't use my DA 40mm in aperture priority mode... I THINK shutter priority works though.