Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2007, 09:02 AM   #1
Forum Member

B&W film, and filters

I am shooting B&W 400 & 100 speed TMAX film, and it was reccomended that I think about a red filter. What does filtering do for B&W film, and what filtering should I be looking at. My daughter has a Vivitar Red #26 upstairs that she used shooting IR film, is this something to try. I'm really just looking for any suggestions as all I've ever done with filters is a simple UV filter more for protection of the lens than anything else.

06-17-2007, 10:03 AM   #2

Well, if you don't mind a little self promotion, I get quite a bit of traffic to this web page

Filters in Black and White Photography

I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have.
06-17-2007, 10:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey bruce,
I like the effect of a red filter, it really darkens the blue sky and makes the clouds dramatic adds contrast I used a 25a, medium yellow is good too. I think the sky is too washed out with no filter or even the k2. Just my opinion though.
06-19-2007, 08:55 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
While all those filters are nice, you could always go to a pawn shop and look for the cokin filters, most of which are coloured ND filters. they are cheap, i never paid more than $2 for any of mine, and they are much more useful than regular B/W filters, cause you can stack them, or use a filter for only a portion of the image.

06-21-2007, 01:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there are a lot of filters for B&W.

essentually they change the relitive exposure for specific colors.

try this, go to a local greenhouse and take a photo of a plant with nice green leaves and red flowers, first with no filter, then with a green filter, then with a red filter.

When you develop them, the shot with no filter will have the red and green almost identical shades of grey and it may be impossible to see the flowers

With the red filter, the flowers are light and the leaves dark, with the green filter you get the opposite.

the filters allow you to highlight a specific color.
06-21-2007, 01:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Red filters are a lot of fun, just dont forget to compensate for 2 stops when using them (preferably on a tripod/monopod). Hoya makes one of the best IR filters (R72) but they are a bit pricey compared to a normal red filter.
06-23-2007, 02:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Try Y2/O2 and YG

QuoteOriginally posted by gratefulbruce Quote
I am shooting B&W 400 & 100 speed TMAX film, and it was reccomended that I think about a red filter.
Red filter will produce too dramatic effect and I would not recommend you to start with red filter. Better get deep yellow (Y2) or orange (Pentax O2 SMC is my favorite) and yellow-green (YG). Others have explained well what color filters do to B&W photographs.
06-25-2007, 08:14 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm so glad I asked this question, I've taken delivery of my step-up rings, and my first three filter colors to try with B&W film, Red 25, Green 11, and Yellow 8(K2). I'll be vacationing over the next ten days, but will probably be taking mostly color. I'll be attending my Step-Daughters wedding, and I think I'll want both fast and slow color loaded, which leaves me with no camera left for B&W .... maybe I should have bought another film camera instead of filters!

06-26-2007, 01:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Scan the color film so that you can convert to B&W digitally. You can also mimic the filters digitally. Not as much fun as shooting B&W, but you can get there.