Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2009, 07:46 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by keyser Quote
I'd go with an ME Super and a 40mm f/2.8 pancake. You should be able to pick this combo up for $150 and it's rangefinder size, with SLR functonality.

However, for WAY less money, you can get a Canonet QL17 with an f/1.7 40mm fixed lens, which is pretty much multi purpose for long trips.
An ME Super or any other of the electronic shutter compact SLRs from the early 1980s are a good solution. I also was thinking the Canonet QL17 or maybe an Olympus XA. While neither is water/dust proof, both are readily available, sturdy, and perform nicely. I have been carrying my XA for years as a backup for my digicams and it has saved the day more than once. So...ME Super with 40/2.8 and Olympus XA as a backup.

Steve

12-29-2009, 02:45 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
It would be polite of the OP to grace us with his/her presence and respond politely to the many members that have taken time out of their busy day to assist them with this problem.
12-29-2009, 08:29 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
It would be polite of the OP to grace us with his/her presence and respond politely to the many members that have taken time out of their busy day to assist them with this problem.
Sorry all, it has been a very busy weekend/end of the festive period/prepping for New Year's celebrations!

Thanks for all the replies though. I especially liked the KX/MX/ME Super suggestions and I had considered those as real possibilities. In fact, I'll probably end up carrying my poor battered ME on my shoulder, just because I love it so...

I decided on taking J.Scott's advice though and settled for an Olympus XA (3, in this case). I liked the size and weight, but its also idiot proof (mostly...) for friends to use and coupled with some HP5, I'm really quite excited!

Thanks again all, will try to be less tardy with replies in future!
12-29-2009, 08:46 AM   #19

Photos: Albums
Contax T3. Make sure you ask for hand inspection at airports in order to make your films safe.

12-29-2009, 10:32 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I also vouch for the MX/ME Super + some A series lenses, or...

... if you want something with a little more electronic in it, an MZ-7! it's ligther (-65Gr) and will give you AF, although it's also a little more bulkier then the ME (acording do bojidar site)

I'm a little biased because i have an MZ-7 (mainly to use in combination with FAJ18-35 for WA)

cheers
12-29-2009, 11:23 AM   #21

Photos: Albums
Another compact, light weight, and convenient choice is ZX-L + DA40/2.8 Limited. You got AF, Av, Tv, and M....
12-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raptorman Quote

Film 800 ISO and above cannot be X-rayed, and will need to be hand inspected by the security guys. If you plan on carrying high speed film pack the film so its easy to pull out and hand over for inspection.
You could minimize these worries by limiting your travels to well lit countries.
12-29-2009, 06:01 PM   #23
Veteran Member

And daytime!