Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I'm assuming I screwed up - big time!
Not the first time - certainly won't be the last either.
I learn by mistakes and unfortunately I have to make them all too.

Fuji film edge markings

That tells me the film was 'Fujichrome' because of the 'RA 660' emulsion designation.

Damn it!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
01-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #17
Forum Member

Yep, that's crossprocess alright. Some people, me included, do like to process slide film in C41 chemistry... But anyway, if you didn't knew that and you didn't mention to the lab specifically to do that, they did screw up, period, not you. They have an obligation to know it was slide film, process it as slide film or, if they don't process slide, tell you exactly that, so you go somewhere else. The funny thing is usually comercial minilabs don't accept crossprocessing because it contaminates the minilab's C41 chemistry. I bet the next customers were unhappy with the results also...

Last edited by Hertizel; 01-03-2010 at 09:32 AM. Reason: forgot to add something
01-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Hertizel Quote
Funny thing is usually commercial minilabs don't accept crossprocessing because it contaminates the minilab's C41 chemistry. I bet the next customers were unhappy with the results also...
i laughed out loud when i read this

well it seems like the mystery is solved, i guess you can always scan your negs and color correct them?
01-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Yep, that's crossprocess alright. Some people, me included, do like to process slide film in C41 chemistry... But anyway, if you didn't knew that and you didn't mention to the lab specifically to do that, they did screw up, period, not you. They have an obligation to know it was slide film, process it as slide film or, if they don't process slide, tell you exactly that, so you go somewhere else. The funny thing is usually comercial minilabs don't accept crossprocessing because it contaminates the minilab's C41 chemistry. I bet the next customers were unhappy with the results also...
I would agree it was the labs fault. The film canister would have indicated it was "Colour Reversal Film" and that it should have been "E-6" processed.

Phil.

01-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PNTXFTW12 Quote
i laughed out loud when i read this

well it seems like the mystery is solved, i guess you can always scan your negs and color correct them?
I tried to color correct but wasn't too successful. Then again, I am not a master of Photoshop.
I did, however, use a desaturation process in CS2 which made them look alright.
01-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I would agree it was the labs fault. The film canister would have indicated it was "Colour Reversal Film" and that it should have been "E-6" processed.

Phil.
I blame no one but myself.

I should have known what film I was taking to be developed.

I alone am responsible for my own bad decisions.
01-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I blame no one but myself.

I should have known what film I was taking to be developed.

I alone am responsible for my own bad decisions.
Well, don't feel *too* badly, Fujichrome's actually pretty notorious for being easy to mistake for Fujicolor in a hurry, if you don't look carefully.
01-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

looking at the film, it's cross processed alright. Some peopel get it done all the time here, so I see it all the time.

Although I've never seen it happen, there is a chance some slide film was somehow loaded into a C41 process container, and dropped into the wrong box. Making it no ones fault.
I have seen simular things happen before.

01-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #24
Pentaxian

The funny thing is usually comercial minilabs don't accept crossprocessing because it contaminates the minilab's C41 chemistry. I bet the next customers were unhappy with the results also...
This is an urban myth and is absolutely untrue.
I debunked it about a decade ago by running a few slide films through the C-41 processor at the lab I was working at and then running a control strip immediately afterwards.
There was no deviation in the control graph from the strip ran earlier that morning.
01-03-2010, 09:13 PM   #25
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
This is an urban myth and is absolutely untrue.
I debunked it about a decade ago by running a few slide films through the C-41 processor at the lab I was working at and then running a control strip immediately afterwards.
There was no deviation in the control graph from the strip ran earlier that morning.
Nice to hear that. The problem now is convincing lot's of minilab operators that they can accept slide film in the C41 minilab... I have to do my crossprocessing in more expensive manual labs because of that!
01-03-2010, 11:10 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Just so I am clear. For the sake of discussion.
Say I shot a roll of Velvia 50 slide film. I would be able to have it processed at say walgrens or target in the c41 soup?

What would it look like if it worked?
01-03-2010, 11:22 PM   #27
Forum Member

As I've sayd, depends on the lab. I find that here in Portugal, big comercial labs don't do crossprocess.

That sayd, a few links: Cross processing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Flickr: The XPRO CROSS PROCESSING Pool

Expect ultra-high contrast and loads of colour shifts. Extra grain may also occur. Essencially depends on the slide film you start with.
01-03-2010, 11:40 PM   #28
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Expect ultra-high contrast and loads of colour shifts. Extra grain may also occur. Essencially depends on the slide film you start with.
Translation: It could be really cool or it could be ugly! In any case, you will get negatives instead of slides...

Steve
01-04-2010, 02:16 AM   #29
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Just so I am clear. For the sake of discussion.
Say I shot a roll of Velvia 50 slide film. I would be able to have it processed at say walgrens or target in the c41 soup?

What would it look like if it worked?
I'll scan some of my results and post them later (hopefully) today.

Like mentioned, wacky colour shifts, exposure issues and extra grain. Most of the roll was street shots - graffitti & people. Right up your alley - so to speak.
01-04-2010, 06:23 AM   #30
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Translation: It could be really cool or it could be ugly! In any case, you will get negatives instead of slides...

Steve
True!

Like any film, you have to know what to expect and there's no substitute for hands-on trial and error. Myself, i like the results from Astia 100 exposed at ISO80 and crossprocessed. Velvia? I wouldn't dare crossprocessing it. It's too great of a slide film to do that...