Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Green film?

I picked up a roll of Fuji 100 I left at Costco to be processed.
All the negatives are green, which makes all the prints look pinkish.
I would have written it all off to gross over exposure except that even the film leader is green. The toothed edges of the film are green. All green.

Anybody have an idea of what the heck happened?

01-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

By chance, was this slide film, or C-41 process film?
01-03-2010, 01:00 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VF-19 Quote
By chance, was this slide film, or C-41 process film?
Just grocery store variety Fuji 100 color film. C-41 processing at Costco.
I have to mail E-6 (slide) film to Timbuktoo for processing. Sorry, I meant Toronto.

144 views and one reply...... I'll never know. :ugh:

If it was processing wouldn't all their films in that batch be messed up?
If it was a matter of over exposure on my part and what I'm seeing is a reciprocity issue, I wouldn't have the green cast on the properly exposed shots and on the leader.

I'm leaning towards it being caused by 'bad film'. But I don't really know what that means.
01-03-2010, 01:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I would take the film back to Costco, and make a big complaint. Bring properly processed film with you so that they can't claim "it's how it's supposed to look".

For all you know, you picked up a time bomb at the supermarket. Did the film leader look unusual to you when you loaded it into the camera?

01-03-2010, 01:43 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I can assure you Costco did not hurt your film. All those guys behind the film counter know how to do is push a button, stand back and let the machine do its thing. Seriously, a retarded, three legged dog could complete this task.

Its the film for sure, but why in the world it would ever turn green I don't know. The fact that the color extends out to the feeder teeth holes says to me its just a bad batch of film.

The only possible thing I can imagine is that the film was exposed to radiation of some sort. If the film is 800 iso or higher, an X-Ray machine WILL affect it. Its a total shot in the dark to guess this though
01-03-2010, 02:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Sounds like funky film to me. Maybe it was exposed to high heat or something at some point. Do you have any more that you purchased at the same time, or was that roll purchased individually?
01-03-2010, 03:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

It might be worth asking Fuji themselves.

Justin.
01-03-2010, 04:30 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Woohoo - replies!

Thanks for responding everyone.

I watched her load it in the machine and you are right; she put the canister in the top, closed the lid and pushed a button. She turned to me and said it will be ready in 40 minutes. She did not charge me for the processing or the prints. Small consolation, but I truthfully don't feel it was her fault.

It is the only roll. It has to be at least a year a go I bought it, maybe more. It was in the camera until November '09. I was rummaging through my film storage box in my beer fridge (it's a small box, only evicting a couple bottles) and noticed an exposed roll amongst the fresh one with 'Yashica Nov.8' on a piece of paper in with the film. I know I took it to work a couple days, maybe it got roasted by the heater in my truck. It's very odd, indeed.

Thinking my meter is off on the camera I compared it against my Sekonic and it matches closely. Keep in mind this is a 45 year old Yashica Lynx 14E that has been lovingly CLA'd by the infamous Mark Hama.

So, I am loading a fresh roll of Kodak Gold 200 into the old gal right now and I'll give that a whirl.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by J.Scott; 01-03-2010 at 05:11 AM.
01-03-2010, 04:42 AM   #9
Forum Member

Fuji slide film turns green when cross-processed. Perhaps it was a Sensia 100 and they put it in their C-41 machine
01-03-2010, 04:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Old film can have it's advantages though and I also think that the shops chemicals were not as fresh as they could have been. I do like the effect but I doubt that I could reproduce it even if I tried. (It' already up in my gallery btw)

Taken on a Pentax ESII with 55mm Takumar. Film was a Kodak roll that was about three years out of date before exposure.

Justin.
01-03-2010, 05:13 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
If my pictures came out that good I'd be bragging, not complaining!

Very nice.
01-03-2010, 05:21 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrickhh Quote
Fuji slide film turns green when cross-processed. Perhaps it was a Sensia 100 and they put it in their C-41 machine
Now you got me thinking.

The only slide film I have is Velvia, that I know of, that is.

I have no evidence of the film other than the processed negatives themselves. The old canister or film box would be very helpful at this point.

The toothed edge of the film shows; "Fuji 100" and "RA-650" and the frame numbers.
Don't know if that is helpful to resolve if I stupidly had slide film and didn't know it. Damn!
01-03-2010, 08:25 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I picked up a roll of Fuji 100 I left at Costco to be processed.
All the negatives are green, which makes all the prints look pinkish.
I would have written it all off to gross over exposure except that even the film leader is green. The toothed edges of the film are green. All green.

Anybody have an idea of what the heck happened?
I don't suppose you could shoot a digital picture of the film and post it could you?
01-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I'd think that it was just OLD film, not stored properly if I saw it. Although I would think that exposure to heat could also cause that.
I can't picture over exposure turning the ends green
01-03-2010, 09:01 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I don't suppose you could shoot a digital picture of the film and post it could you?
Digital? What's that? Oh yeah, the other media!

Here ya go. Taped to the dining room window. I wish I had a light box.
Attached Images