Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2010, 08:58 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Portland Pete Quote
...but have a great local camera shop that caters to older cameras and still uses optical enlargers to print. Thanks.
Welcome to the forum Pete. It is always good to see another local boy here. (I am assuming that you are Portland, Oregon and not Portland, Maine.) What shop is it that you are using? Blue Moon?

Steve

01-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brkl Quote
My Program Plus has the loudest shutter out of any of my cameras. Louder than my Mamiya 645. Unfortunately I don't like loud shutters
Wow, stay away from the Ricoh KR-10 then; mine has a shutter that sounds like a sword fight - KERCHINK!

The SuperProgram is quite loud, but they all were in the early eighties.
01-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
The Program Plus and the Super P are nice cameras, however the display needs light to see the sppeds/apertures.
Anyone has been brvae enough to hack it and put a LED in the top cover so that there is enough light?
The super program has a built in light for the LCD. I don't know if the program plus does.
01-06-2010, 01:18 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
The super program has a built in light for the LCD. I don't know if the program plus does.
It (the Program Plus) doesn't. Unfortunately neither does my Super Program, for practical purposes anyway - the switch (lower left side of the lens mount) seems to be corroded or something. If I jam on it hard with my pinky tip I can make the backlight flicker a little, but pressing the button with normal force does nothing.

Does anyone know a good way to clean that switch? I don't see an obvious way to get it apart, so maybe what's needed is the appropriate tuner spray applied from the outside, and just working the switch a lot. Haven't tried anything on it yet.

01-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #20
Forum Member

The problem with Pentax LX MLU is that it can't be coupled with the self-timer. It is a somewhat sub-optimal design IMHO You have to use a cable release to have full benefit from MLU. When I shoot from a tripod with the LX, I use the self timer instead, because a cable release is too much hassle for me. YMMV...
01-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by keyser Quote
Wow, stay away from the Ricoh KR-10 then; mine has a shutter that sounds like a sword fight - KERCHINK!

OK, to be fair, I used the Mamiya 645 Super today and it's louder. But still, the Program Plus is loud.
01-06-2010, 05:00 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by keyser Quote

The original KR-10 had the the Copal CCS-E. My XR-2s has the same shutter and I can confirm that it is the loudest of any of my film bodies. It is even louder than the Copal Square S in my Singlex TLS! If it is any consolation, the CCS-E is a very sturdy unit and was state of the art at the time. Similar shutters were spec'ed for Nikon and Konica bodies of the same vintage (e.g. Nikon FM, Konica Auto-Reflex T4). These also share the reputation for being loud!

Ricoh later moved to a fully electronic Seiko shutter that is much quieter. I was under the impression that Pentax used the same unit on the electronic M and A series cameras.

Steve

BTW...for some reason, my KX also has a loud shutter. That really surprised me, it being horizontal run with a rubberized cloth curtain...

01-06-2010, 07:23 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies and the interesting discussion guys.

In regards to the viewfinder LCD on the Super Program, I do find it is a bit hard to see at times. IMO the light (which works on my body, for now) doesn't help me that much, and you have to make sure your eye is at the right angle to see the LCD. Still useful though. An LED modification would be nice, but I'm certainly not brave enough at this stage

Steve - Could the loud shutter on the KX have more to do with the mirror?
01-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Thanks for the replies and the interesting discussion guys.

In regards to the viewfinder LCD on the Super Program, I do find it is a bit hard to see at times. IMO the light (which works on my body, for now) doesn't help me that much, and you have to make sure your eye is at the right angle to see the LCD. Still useful though. An LED modification would be nice, but I'm certainly not brave enough at this stage

Steve - Could the loud shutter on the KX have more to do with the mirror?
It might, though it was CLA'd by Eric with replacement of all foam and seals just this last spring. I suppose I could run downstairs and try it with the mirror locked up, but it is currently loaded with Kodachrome (too precious to waste). I will have to give it a try later.

Steve
01-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #25
Veteran Member

from time to time .. seem to me superprogram drawing a lot attention from me..

the black one especially.

i still thinking its have the longest name in camera history?
01-06-2010, 08:57 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi fearview, yeah every time I type out 'Super Program' I think about how it's a long name compared to 'KX' or something like that
By the black one, do you mean the Super A? I didn't think the Super Program was made in black, only silver/black like in my photos... I suppose they are basically the same camera anyway.?

Steve - I wouldn't waste that Kodachrome just for curiousity Perhaps doing the foam and seals on my Super Program will quiet it down a little bit, I think they are the original ones (in ok/good condition mind you).

cheers,
01-06-2010, 09:37 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Hi fearview, yeah every time I type out 'Super Program' I think about how it's a long name compared to 'KX' or something like that
By the black one, do you mean the Super A? I didn't think the Super Program was made in black, only silver/black like in my photos... I suppose they are basically the same camera anyway.?

Steve - I wouldn't waste that Kodachrome just for curiousity Perhaps doing the foam and seals on my Super Program will quiet it down a little bit, I think they are the original ones (in ok/good condition mind you).

cheers,
yeah. my mistake. for didnt specify it completely. Super Program was sold in international market and japanese market under name SuperA right?

i think i was refers into that .. sorry.

and they availble in black indeed.

by the way. nice and neat camera. congratulation.
01-06-2010, 11:01 PM   #28

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the forum Pete. It is always good to see another local boy here. (I am assuming that you are Portland, Oregon and not Portland, Maine.) What shop is it that you are using? Blue Moon?

Steve
Yes to both. Being a life long North Portland resident, I love Blue Moon. The staff, atmosphere, and selection of interesting stuff make it worth the price premium over ebay any day.
01-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
fearview - Yes I think you are correct about the Super Program and SuperA.
Thanks - I would like to see your black SuperA/Super Program too.

cheers,
01-07-2010, 04:31 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Portland Pete Quote
Yes to both. Being a life long North Portland resident, I love Blue Moon. The staff, atmosphere, and selection of interesting stuff make it worth the price premium over ebay any day.
Blue Moon is a little out of the way for me, but they are definitely good people. They do my Ektar 100 processing sub'ed out through Knight Camera in Vancouver. Knight is a pretty cool place as well. They do mostly camera repair, but have a ton of vintage 35mm stuff and a "magic box" full of cases, straps, and other weird things.

Steve