Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2010, 07:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One for the film users...

Hi,

I often read around here in the film section but rarely have anything useful to say.
However yesterday I received my 3rd film body, a nice Super Program in clean and working condition. My other 2 film bodies are an ME Super and an MZ-50, so the Super Program fits somewhere in the middle... Already I'm thinking that maybe I like this one the most It does seem to have the coolest-sounding (ie. loudest) shutter.

I haven't even had my dSLR for a year yet (digital came first for me), not long ago I couldn't have imagined owning 3 film bodies. Maybe some of you will have a similar story... I also have some Ektar 100 and Tri-X waiting to 'try out' on some sort of worthy event and I'm really excited

Apologies if this seems like a pointless thread; but I wanted to type a few words on how much fun it is to use old film SLRs, and show you my "new" Super Program:

Next to the ME Super:
It seems to me that the Super Program is quite a lot more advanced compared to the ME, more than I thought it would be

cheers,
Jason

01-05-2010, 08:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Jason, Congratulations! I feel the Super/Program/Plus/645/AF200T/AF280T set represents one of the Pentax high points. Well made, well thought out, reliable, small, effective. Yeah, push buttons, but don't mind.

Now, we have to get you into the Spotties
01-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Me, I love the push buttons. So simple and intuitive, once you get used to them. I think those Pentax engineers knew what they were doing. This'll sound like blasphemy, but I sometimes wish my LX had 'em

...maybe I should go for a Super Program too ...
01-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #4

Interesting comment on the shutter. I'm thinking of getting a back-up body to an ME Super and the Super Program attracts me, primarily because of the shutter speed readout on the top panel. There are times when I'd like a better idea of the shutter speed without raising the camera to my face.

You say the shutter is loud? Louder than an ME Super?

01-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I added a Super Program and a Program Plus to the collection this last year, and I like them both pretty well. The Super Program has a couple of nicer features, but the Program Plus happens, in my case, to be in better condition, so I think I like it better based on that.

Yes both shutters are louder than the ME Super, though to my ears the ME Super is rather pleasant in the softness of the shutter.
01-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies
Nesster - I'm open to the spotties at some point, however my girlfriend has an excellent condition Spotmatic SPII (i think) she inherited that needs a bit of a service... If that's not terminal I'll have a go at it eventually, K-mounts are enough work for me for the time being

QuoteOriginally posted by dandaniel Quote
Interesting comment on the shutter. I'm thinking of getting a back-up body to an ME Super and the Super Program attracts me, primarily because of the shutter speed readout on the top panel. There are times when I'd like a better idea of the shutter speed without raising the camera to my face.

You say the shutter is loud? Louder than an ME Super?
I don't have much to compare the shutter sound to really, but I would say it's louder than the following:
- K200D (quietest of my bodies by far)
- MZ50 (quiet-ish apart from the winder noise)
- ME Super (I'd say the Super Program is louder, but not by much)

So far I have just put a test roll through it, which I'm glad to say exposed very well. I do like the LCD panel on the top of the camera and inside the viewfinder too, very handy. I picked this one up remarkably cheap, so I'd recommend you try one as well if possible.

One last note about the shutter sound - IMO it sounds awesome
thanks for looking... cheers,
01-05-2010, 07:07 PM   #7

I love my Super Program, the little grip on the right hand side makes it quite comfortable to hold, and its very well made. Though there is some considerable damage to the hot shoe (possible to find a replacement?).

And the shutter is quite loud, but I like it like that.

And just like you digital came first for me, I bought a K200D, and just wanted to try out a film camera after seeing all the pretty cameras on this forum, so I bought one.
Now i often find myself grabbing my Super Program over my K200D... maybe I like that its small, maybe I like the way the pictures come out (Ektar is wonderful), I don't really know... but I dont really care either lol.

01-05-2010, 10:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The Super Program is probably my favourite film body. Everything about it is just right. Easy manual control but full auto if you need it. A well placed grip, TTL flash a 1/2000 max shutter speed and a big bright viewfinder.

It's pretty hard to fault.
01-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Heh, you guys are making me even more happy at getting the Super Program body... Cool to see it's so highly regarded.

flockofbirds - Interesting to see someone else come from such a similar position. I think I just need to find the right film for me and I'd use film a lot more often. However this might just be a case of finally trying the rolls of Ektar 100 and Tri-x I have and using a 'proper' lab for development. Looks like the Super Program is gonna be the one to expose that film however

Sluggo - I quite like the look of the Program Plus aswell, probably half the reason I am getting into these old bodies is they look awesome...
Anyway enough ramblings from me, cheers.
01-06-2010, 03:55 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
I went the other way and started with a P3n and 50mm f/2. My first "upgrade" body was a PZ-1, and got the wife a K10d. The digital is great for a lot of things, but I still love film, so I followed that up with a 645. I've been looking at adding either a Super Program or LX to my stable if anyone has some pointers. I am familiar with the "sticky mirror" issue, but have a great local camera shop that caters to older cameras and still uses optical enlargers to print. Thanks.
01-06-2010, 04:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Pete, I've never handled a LX and don't intend to go out of my way to do so... I'm sure they are nice and all; I'm just not into the "pro" thing. OTH I also have a 645, and a Program Plus. The two are siblings - and a Super Pgm would be even more so. So if you like how the 645 does things, a Super Pgm is the way to go. They both are contemporary with two of the better flashes Pentax ever made, referenced in my first post, the AF280t/200t, which do TTL with a 645 and a Super Pgm.
01-06-2010, 04:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

My Program Plus has the loudest shutter out of any of my cameras. Louder than my Mamiya 645. Unfortunately I don't like loud shutters
01-06-2010, 05:15 AM   #13

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the vote for the Super Program. I do love the 645. My pro's and con's so far are:

Super Program - Price/Availability, Full compatability with my KA lenses.
LX - Mirror Lockup, OTF Metering, Multiple exposure capability.

I do a bit of night/astro work, so the MLU is nice. The multipe exposure is not a show-stopper as I can do that with the 645. Finally, with the metering, I tend to primarily use manual on my MF cameras anyway, but I'm in love with HyperP on the PZ-1 and K10d.

It occurs to me that this might be better on another thread, but here we are.
01-06-2010, 05:55 AM   #14
Pentaxian

The Program Plus and the Super P are nice cameras, however the display needs light to see the sppeds/apertures.
Anyone has been brvae enough to hack it and put a LED in the top cover so that there is enough light?
01-06-2010, 06:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Pete, to maintain your interesting threadjack for a moment, if I were you, I would go with the Super Program over the LX (and I speak as an LX owner). The Super Program is so compact and such great value on the used market. The LX is beautiful, gorgeous - but more of a fetish thing than anything else. The MU is useful, of course, but the multiple exposure not so much these days (and I'm not sure it's that dependable, at least on my current body which does not space exposures out perfectly). The OTF metering is good, but I doubt you'd really notice the difference - I also have an ME Super, and it exposes perfectly.