Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm back! With some neat gear to show you!

Hi everyone. I’ve been in self-imposed exile for awhile dealing with a few personal issues. Things have been resolved and everything is now fine.

So I’m back. For my first post in 2010 here are a few things I picked up over 2009. The uber-coolest gear is the kit at the bottom, and partly what makes it so cool is the incredible price!

Number 1) Firstly the Pentax stuff. Here's a pristine Takumar 135mm/f3.5 with matching 2x teleconverter from Tamron. The T/C is not something I see very often. Cases, caps and lens hood included. Price: $20.

Wow, those old Taks are nice, the manual focus feel is so buttery smooth.

Number 2) Next up is a K1000 with 50mm/f2. And look here… a Vivitar 28mm/f2, made by Komine. Price: free.

Number 3) Whoa Nelly! What’s this? It is a mouth watering crème de la crème of thrift store finds, that's what!

- Rolleiflex SL35
- Carl Zeiss 50mm f1.8 Planar
- Carl Zeiss 135mm f4 Tele-Tessar
- Matching flash

The camera body and both lenses are the very highly regarded versions made in Germany. The flash is made in Singapore. Price: a smoking hot $15 for camera + lenses + accessories. The flash cost an additional 50 cents.

The Rollei and lenses work perfectly. All the seals have been maintained and the light meter is fully functional. The flash also works. I ran a roll of cheap black & white film and everything turned out just fine and dandy and peachy. Here are a couple of snaps, taken wide open.

And don’t anyone tell little laker about this 'cuz I bought the Rollei kit from a thrift store just down the road from where he lives!

Last edited by tranq78; 01-09-2010 at 12:43 AM. Reason: My computer probably had a mapping error. Can now link photos properly.
01-08-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice.
Congrats on the setup.
Glorious set of glassware...
Look forward to your results using them.
01-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Awesome. We all love camera nerds.
01-08-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This makes me physically ill!

You got the fairly rare and much coveted Viv/Komine 28/2 for FREE? I have been jonesing for one of those for months, but can't justify the current price point.

Less than $20 for the Rollei with additional Zeiss glass!

You are just too cruel!

Steve

01-08-2010, 09:49 PM   #5

Mean man you are.
01-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome back And your deals made me feel even sorrier for myself I also got three new lenses in the past a couple of days, but they cost me 1.4k usd ...
01-09-2010, 05:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The camera body and both lenses are the very highly regarded versions made in Germany. The flash is made in Singapore. Price: a smoking hot $15 for camera + lenses + accessories. The flash cost an additional 50 cents.

The Rollei and lenses work perfectly. All the seals have been maintained and the light meter is fully functional. The flash also works. I ran a roll of cheap black & white film and everything turned out just fine and dandy and peachy. Here are a couple of snaps, taken wide open.

You know you are causing bad camera karma to about 349 other photographers with this streak of awesome buying? welcome back

01-10-2010, 11:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome everyone. Pentaxforums is a great community to belong to.

I'm certainly impressed with the Vivitar 28/f2. It's faster than my Pentax A28/f2.8. It is a nice little lens.

I'm slightly awed by the output of the Carl Zeiss lenses. At a minimum, their performance matches that of the good Pentax lenses of the same era. Even though the Rollei kit is obviously second-hand, whoever owned it before me took good care of it. I really lucked out coming across it. Oh, and the price I paid of $15 is in Canadian dollars... it's about $12 in U.S. funds (using the exchange rate at the time).

The Rolleiflex SL35 body is not as ergonomic to use as my LX's but it certainly feels a bit more robust. I would liken the LX to a thoroughbred camera and the SL35 (and K1000) is more like a solid work-horse camera.

I also picked up a couple of darkroom kits... now to get them set up and figure out how to develop my own B&W film! Anyone in Edmonton care to show me how?

Last edited by tranq78; 01-10-2010 at 11:51 PM. Reason: typo