Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2010, 11:43 AM   #31

Original Poster
I think in 5 seconds from now you're going to get a PM from me regarding that M28/2.8 Jim

01-19-2010, 12:07 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by altair Quote

...Steve, will the MX's aperture info in the VF work correctly with non-Pentax PK lenses, like Sigma/Tamron? I've read somewhere that when using this lenses, the f-stop selected won't display correctly. Perhaps you can tell me how's your experience with the KX?...
As noted above, both the MX and the KX use an optical "Judas Window" to display the aperture. This approach was also common for Nikon and Ricoh cameras of the day. I have mounted Tamron, Sigma, and Tokina lenses with no problem seeing the aperture numbers. The only lenses that don't appropriately display are Tamron Adaptall-2 with the PKA adapter. That adapter lacks the second, inner aperture scale. The regular PK adapter is fine.

As a bonus, I recently found that both my Vivitar 135 and Vivitar 200 M42 lenses are also properly registered when used with M42 adapter. Life is good!

Steve
01-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #33
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by altair Quote
Man, thanks for that! I value your input highly, and I agree with what you said...from it, I assume that the K2/K2DMD has never been your favorite? This really makes me want to get a KX! Come to think of it, the MX may not fit me very well, I've studied photos of the top deck and that shutter dial really looks cramped in! That and the fact that I lost out on a bid on an MX on fleabay a couple days ago by just a few dollars makes me kinda frustrated.
Altair: Remember, while the KX is my favorite camera (for sentimental and hobby reasons) it merely meets the things I value most highly. You will need to decide what you value most (and least).

A K2 can be supreme fun at the right time or I wouldn't have had one. I sold it because I have way too much money tied up in this stuff to have duplicate coverage, and it is too close to my K2DMD.

The K2DMD is only different fun, in that they are so hard to find - especially in the condition mine is in. Thjere are times that I want all the bells and features - and times I want to do everything myself. Having KX and K2DMD I can satisfy either need.

An MX, while not MY favorite for the reasons I mentioned, is a marvelous camera. The SuperProgram (not discussed) is a blast as well. I like the MESuper enough, for just carrying around in a small hip bag and using at will, that I bought another when mine finally, permanently retired itself.

ANY camera we've discussed will serve you well. None of them is perfect. All of them are great.

My advice? Take the plunge with whatever your gut tells you will be the best for you. It doesn't cost much to change your mind later.

Spend a little bit more to get great cosmetic and mechanical condition. At least for me, I'll take a PRETTY CLA'd camera over an UGLY CLA'd camera every day.

Whatever you decide, take pictures regularly to become familiar with your camera and practice getting your "eye" in shape.
01-19-2010, 06:09 PM   #34
Site Supporter

One reason I love the KX is its full-information viewfinder.
But I also love the KM for its simple viewfinder...

Chris