Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #16

Original Poster
@Vern: I like both metering styles Vern, both match needle of the K2 and also the LED's of the ME Super. I discovered the LED's of the MX is quite different that those in the ME Super..so I can't really say if I'll like them. I've read some people saying the metering LED's in the VF of the MX is quite useless and not as user friendly as the one in the ME Super...any thoughts? As for metering system, I love both full manual & also the AE capability of the K2 & ME super. Tough call eh? Thanks!

@k100d: Yeah, that's the reason I bought the K2 in the 1st place..because they're somewhat hard to find. Is the VF of the MX any better than the VF of the ME Super? I find that I can hold the ME Super quite comfortably, albeit I haven't put on any heavy tele lenses on it.

@8450tomg: Yup, the shutter of the K2 was one of the reasons why I bought it too. It's the 1st PK body that I own that has the vertical metal shutter. I've read people saying the K2's shutter sound is sublime, but I found out I prefer the ME Super's soft shutter sound even more. How's the shutter sound of the MX? Is it similar to the ME Super's shutter sound? One thing that kinda gives me doubts about the MX is that it has a cloth shutter, not a metal one. I somehow have the preconception that metal shutters are better and more reliable than cloth ones. True or false?

01-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by altair Quote
Hi people. I know this is a highly subjective question, but should I sell of my Asahi Pentax K2 to get an MX? I bought the K2 about a month ago, and have only shot 2 rolls with it...well, so far, I'm sad to report that I haven't grown to like the K2 very much. I don't know why, it's hard to grasp the exact reason. Perhaps it's because I feel more satisfied using my Asahi Pentax KM, and even the ME Super I got a week back gives me more pleasure when I use it.

Is the MX really as good as people make it out to be? I like the small size of the ME Super, also it's weight. But I also like the KM's heft & bigger size..hmmm. I have average sized hands, so the issue of 'feeling cramped' when people with bigger hands use the MX is kinda moot for me.

And no, an LX is not a consideration for me anytime soon

I'm thinking I should run a few more rolls through the K2 soon, perhaps I'd grow to love it then. But there are some very good deals on MX's right now. A guy in my town wants to sell off an chrome MX with an SMC Pentax-M 28mm f2.8 for approximately $150. It looks to be in pristine shape. Is $150 too much to ask for an MX and the SMC-M 28/2.8?

Also, any thoughts on the SMC-M 28/2.8?

Would appreciate any feedback, thanks in advance!

-Dani-
My vote is for the KX (not the digital one, the real one!). The KX is 100% manual, as is your KM, and does not rely on batteries like the MX to display LED readouts in the finder. With the KX, the shutter speed is displayed in finder by a transparent blue needle, the meter is a black needle, and above the screen you can read the aperture. The only thing that fails when you have no batteries is the black needle.
01-13-2010, 12:40 PM   #18

Original Poster
@lithos: Aww man, you really got me salivating over the MX's apparently divine VF there! So I take it the VF of the MX is waaaaaaaaay better than the VF of the ME Super? Man, I already love the ME Super's VF...imagine how the MX would be like. Oh, and yeah..the ASA setting ring & EV comp ring on the K2 is really quite awful! I prefer the ME Super's easy-to-handle EV comp dial over the K2's anytime.
01-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #19

Original Poster
@Canada Rockies: I have been wanting to buy a KX for sometime now. Have yet to get lucky with one on fleabay. So, in the end, I'm looking to end up with the following bodies: KM, KX, MX, ME Super. The K2's position in that lineup is still questionable.

01-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@Canada Rockies: I have been wanting to buy a KX for sometime now. Have yet to get lucky with one on fleabay. So, in the end, I'm looking to end up with the following bodies: KM, KX, MX, ME Super. The K2's position in that lineup is still questionable.
I used a KX for several years. If it had been the model with the winder base, I would probably still have it. A big solid tank of a camera. I foolishly did not keep it when I bought the SF-1. dumb.
01-13-2010, 02:04 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have owned and used all models mentioned. The KX is my favorite, too.

Chris
01-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #22

@lithos: Aww man, you really got me salivating over the MX's apparently divine VF there! So I take it the VF of the MX is waaaaaaaaay better than the VF of the ME Super? Man, I already love the ME Super's VF...imagine how the MX would be like. Oh, and yeah..the ASA setting ring & EV comp ring on the K2 is really quite awful! I prefer the ME Super's easy-to-handle EV comp dial over the K2's anytime.
The MX viewfinder is not *waaaay* better than the ME Super. Slightly better, but I'd guess I'd need to have them both in front of me to really say that the difference is significant.

The MX metering system works for me. I switch cameras all the time and have to adapt to different systems, so I don't have a strong preference. The only real problem I have with the MX is that I am left-eyed so I often keep the wind lever tucked in so it doesn't poke me in the right eye. And this turns off the meter unless I press lightly on the shutter release.

You want EV comp, the MX is easier than any of them- the LEDs give you a simple over/under indication at 1/2 and a full stop. After that, you can simply count the clicks on the aperture ring or shutter dial for more compensation. That's the beauty of manual cameras- you don't need to trick them to change exposure, you simply do it as part of standard operation.

01-13-2010, 08:16 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dandaniel Quote
...<SNIP>...
You want EV comp, the MX is easier than any of them- the LEDs give you a simple over/under indication at 1/2 and a full stop. After that, you can simply count the clicks on the aperture ring or shutter dial for more compensation. That's the beauty of manual cameras- you don't need to trick them to change exposure, you simply do it as part of standard operation.
Nope. The visual in the KX is much superior.
01-13-2010, 09:01 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

...You want EV comp, the MX is easier than any of them- the LEDs give you a simple over/under indication at 1/2 and a full stop. After that, you can simply count the clicks on the aperture ring or shutter dial for more compensation. That's the beauty of manual cameras- you don't need to trick them to change exposure, you simply do it as part of standard operation.
Why count the clicks? The MX has a full information viewfinder. Both aperture and shutter speeds are visible at all times, even if the battery is dead.

Having said that, I agree with Canada_Rockies. The KX (and K2 for that matter) have the leg up in regards to viewfinder information. You can tell at a glance where you are and where you want to be.

Steve

(BTW...I own the KX and considered the MX and K2...)
01-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Why count the clicks? The MX has a full information viewfinder. Both aperture and shutter speeds are visible at all times, even if the battery is dead.

Having said that, I agree with Canada_Rockies. The KX (and K2 for that matter) have the leg up in regards to viewfinder information. You can tell at a glance where you are and where you want to be.

Steve

I love these 70's and 80's body debate threads!

My vote - sell them both and get a KX.

ALL these bodies are excellent. The differentiating factors will always depend on the preferences of the user, who wants their strong points and will tolerate the weak points.

Aside from the LX there is no "Best" Pentax.

I had a really unmarked, near-perfect MX about 5 years ago that was just too fiddly for my larger hands - all the other good stuff wasn't enough to overcome that one negative.

I've had the same MESuper since 1984 but I didn't care properly for it in the 90's and it is becoming a challenge to keep running; I bought a replacement black one on a throw-away bid last month that I couldn't believe I won - have a Jon Goodman seals kit on my desk as I type. For just messing around or carrying a light, easy street camera I can't think of a better combination than an MESuper and 50/1.7.

I really prefer the larger, heavier bodies, especially since almost all my MF lenses are SMCP (K) and they just seem to fit the larger bodies better.

I have a K2DMD and just sold a silver K2 - both have functioning ASA rings - that I use when the Av and stepless shutter is desirable. I have used the word "sublime" when describing the sound of their Seikosha shutter.

I've had the same KX since 1977. Aside from the sentimental value, the absolute control over what hits the film plane - the pure entertainment value of a fully-mechanical camera - makes it my favorite. With a handheld meter, who needs batteries?

For in-camera meters I prefer match-needle metering over virtually every other form created - it is to me the most intuitive and responsive.

What most appeals to me, though, about the Spotmatics and K-series bodies (and the Takumars, K lenses and Canon F's) is they represent the pinnacle of glass, brass and aluminum, mechanical over-engineering and precise, (mostly) hand assembly. As long as there is an Eric and some parts cameras around they, and especially the KX, can be used virtually forever and they were designed and built with that in mind.

I don't see my K10D still sending electrons to an SD card in 2045.
01-14-2010, 04:05 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Regarding the SMC-M 28/2.8, I'm not really sure if it really goes for next to nothing now. Last night I watched one on fleabay, and it ended at GBP60, roughly USD100.
... *Frenetically digging in every camera bag looking for a M28*

60£ for an M28 is more than I would hope for. But right now I'm just hoping I haven't sold it already! If I haven't my laziness has for once served me well.
01-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I have owned and used all models mentioned. The KX is my favorite, too.

Chris
Thanks for your input Chris! A few nights ago, I lost out on a black KX with Rikenon lens on ebay..and I lost by only 1 dollar! Arrrrghhh! Well, better keep searching...I have this nagging feeling that my PK collection won't be complete until I have a KX

The MX viewfinder is not *waaaay* better than the ME Super. Slightly better, but I'd guess I'd need to have them both in front of me to really say that the difference is significant.

The MX metering system works for me. I switch cameras all the time and have to adapt to different systems, so I don't have a strong preference. The only real problem I have with the MX is that I am left-eyed so I often keep the wind lever tucked in so it doesn't poke me in the right eye. And this turns off the meter unless I press lightly on the shutter release.

Dandaniel, thanks for this invaluable info too! I am left eyed too, and with the KX, I've read that the advance lever will poke into my right eye...if I'm not mistaken, that is. I find the ME Super's EV comp dial a breeze to use, too. But, I hardly ever use it or the EV comp dial on my K2...when I want to over/underexpose a picture, I just adjust the aperture/shutter speed accordingly by how many stops I deem correct.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve

Steve, will the MX's aperture info in the VF work correctly with non-Pentax PK lenses, like Sigma/Tamron? I've read somewhere that when using this lenses, the f-stop selected won't display correctly. Perhaps you can tell me how's your experience with the KX?

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I love these 70's and 80's body debate threads!

My vote - sell them both and get a KX.

ALL these bodies are excellent. The differentiating factors will always depend on the preferences of the user, who wants their strong points and will tolerate the weak points.

Aside from the LX there is no "Best" Pentax.

I had a really unmarked, near-perfect MX about 5 years ago that was just too fiddly for my larger hands - all the other good stuff wasn't enough to overcome that one negative.

I've had the same MESuper since 1984 but I didn't care properly for it in the 90's and it is becoming a challenge to keep running; I bought a replacement black one on a throw-away bid last month that I couldn't believe I won - have a Jon Goodman seals kit on my desk as I type. For just messing around or carrying a light, easy street camera I can't think of a better combination than an MESuper and 50/1.7.

I really prefer the larger, heavier bodies, especially since almost all my MF lenses are SMCP (K) and they just seem to fit the larger bodies better.

I have a K2DMD and just sold a silver K2 - both have functioning ASA rings - that I use when the Av and stepless shutter is desirable. I have used the word "sublime" when describing the sound of their Seikosha shutter.

I've had the same KX since 1977. Aside from the sentimental value, the absolute control over what hits the film plane - the pure entertainment value of a fully-mechanical camera - makes it my favorite. With a handheld meter, who needs batteries?

For in-camera meters I prefer match-needle metering over virtually every other form created - it is to me the most intuitive and responsive.

What most appeals to me, though, about the Spotmatics and K-series bodies (and the Takumars, K lenses and Canon F's) is they represent the pinnacle of glass, brass and aluminum, mechanical over-engineering and precise, (mostly) hand assembly. As long as there is an Eric and some parts cameras around they, and especially the KX, can be used virtually forever and they were designed and built with that in mind.

I don't see my K10D still sending electrons to an SD card in 2045.
Man, thanks for that! I value your input highly, and I agree with what you said...from it, I assume that the K2/K2DMD has never been your favorite? This really makes me want to get a KX! Come to think of it, the MX may not fit me very well, I've studied photos of the top deck and that shutter dial really looks cramped in! That and the fact that I lost out on a bid on an MX on fleabay a couple days ago by just a few dollars makes me kinda frustrated. Regarding Eric, pity that I live so far away from where he is..oh well...

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
... *Frenetically digging in every camera bag looking for a M28*

60£ for an M28 is more than I would hope for. But right now I'm just hoping I haven't sold it already! If I haven't my laziness has for once served me well.
Jim! I swear it's true! Similarly, I saw one that went for USD60 just last night. Is it just me or are prices for film gear getting more & more expensive?
01-19-2010, 11:06 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
I've read somewhere that when using this lenses, the f-stop selected won't display correctly. Perhaps you can tell me how's your experience with the KX?
The aperture will show perfectly with the KX - the aperture readout is a periscope - 100% optical. It is possible that non-Pentax lenses may have the aperture ring too far forward on the lens to be visible through the periscope.
01-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The aperture will show perfectly with the KX - the aperture readout is a periscope - 100% optical. It is possible that non-Pentax lenses may have the aperture ring too far forward on the lens to be visible through the periscope.
Yeah, a Judas window, is that what they're calling it? Hmm, I wonder why the reference to Judas. Anyway, I think you're correct..non Pentax lenses may have the aperture selector ring too far forward to have it displayed correctly in the VF. Thanks!
01-19-2010, 11:39 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Jim! I swear it's true! Similarly, I saw one that went for USD60 just last night. Is it just me or are prices for film gear getting more & more expensive?
I think film gear is going up in price, I regret not buying a K15/3.5 a couple of years ago when prices topped at about $600 and nobody knew about the aspherical version. The good news is I found my M28/2.8 Anyone interested?