Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 40
Sell off Pentax K2 for MX? What do you think?

Hi people. I know this is a highly subjective question, but should I sell of my Asahi Pentax K2 to get an MX? I bought the K2 about a month ago, and have only shot 2 rolls with it...well, so far, I'm sad to report that I haven't grown to like the K2 very much. I don't know why, it's hard to grasp the exact reason. Perhaps it's because I feel more satisfied using my Asahi Pentax KM, and even the ME Super I got a week back gives me more pleasure when I use it.

Is the MX really as good as people make it out to be? I like the small size of the ME Super, also it's weight. But I also like the KM's heft & bigger size..hmmm. I have average sized hands, so the issue of 'feeling cramped' when people with bigger hands use the MX is kinda moot for me.

And no, an LX is not a consideration for me anytime soon

I'm thinking I should run a few more rolls through the K2 soon, perhaps I'd grow to love it then. But there are some very good deals on MX's right now. A guy in my town wants to sell off an chrome MX with an SMC Pentax-M 28mm f2.8 for approximately $150. It looks to be in pristine shape. Is $150 too much to ask for an MX and the SMC-M 28/2.8?

Also, any thoughts on the SMC-M 28/2.8?

Would appreciate any feedback, thanks in advance!

-Dani-

01-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Jimfear's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 576
If you have the money you could buy the MX and try it out, then sell the K2 if you like the MX better. It's a so subjective question that probably only you can say if you'll like it better.

$150 for a MX with M28/2.8... not sure, sound a little steep to me as the M28/2.8 goes for next to nothing and well, it's not bad but there are better 28's.

If you can get the price down a little and it is in good cosmetic and mechanical condition then it is reasonable IMO.
01-12-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco, California USA
Posts: 48
What is wrong with sticking with the ME Super?

I have an MX and an ME Super. The MX is slightly bigger, and I mean slightly. And it is heavier, about 2 ounces, I believe. It is noticeable when I go from one to the other, but almost nothing compared to a K10d, at 750grams plus (MX- 490g, ME Super-440g or so).

Does the K2 have a meter needle? If so, well, that's a sweet thing. The MX LEDs are fine, but a floating needle is more fun. I do have a K1000 and like the needle, but can't enjoy the extra weight and bulk compared to the M-series.

As has been said, $150 is a bit high for an MX. Has it been overhauled recently? And the 28mm isn't worth much. It's a nice lens and I use one all the time, but it's a toss-in on the price, not a significant factor.
01-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
Junior Member
Vern's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Utah
Posts: 32
I have a couple K2 bodies and quite like them. But for me they are a newer and improved version of the ESII that I also have. As I see it, there are two things to consider: 1) shooting (metering) style, and 2) size of the camera.

If you only care about manual exposure the MX has only that. If you like aperture priority metering, then the K2 is your camera. And, you can still go manual with it. It has a matching needle system. A transparent blue needle tells you if your are on auto or what the shutter speed is in manual mode. The floating, black needle tells you the shutter speed on auto. As you turn the aperture dial, the needle moves to show the cameras chosen shutter speed. In manual mode it indicates whether you are over or under exposed.

The K2 is the same size and weight of the screw mount bodies. They it feels right in my hands, but I have fairly large hands. I don't have any downsized bodies except my *stDS. The MX is smaller than the older body styles. You will have to decide which feels better to you. Both are good cameras.

Hope that helps,
Vern


Last edited by Vern; 01-12-2010 at 11:14 AM.
01-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,915
i'd keep the K2 they're rather hard to find have both the auto metering and easy manual metering. the MX has the weird shutter speeds in the viewfinder and when the selected shutter speed is way too high or way too low, the meter display is useless. i'd get the MX only if you really really need the larger viewfinder and full manual operation.

i don't have large hands but i still found the MX and the ME Super a bit too small and a bit hard to grip especially with heavier lenses.
01-13-2010, 12:10 AM   #6
Pentaxian
8540tomg's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,444
I have both the MX and the K2. Each has its charms and I would be hard pressed to choose between the two. The MX has that nice battery grip, focusing screens and aperture window. The K2 has the faster flash sync, great range of ASA and that awesome shutter. Get one of each - you won't be displeased.

Tom G
01-13-2010, 12:56 AM   #7
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Brisbane, QLD, AUS
Posts: 3,262
The K2 also has that &*%!ing ISO/EV comp ring. Not Pentax's finest hour, that.

The MX has heft (especially with a K f1.2 50mm on it!) because it's still all mechanical. That means a lot of brass clockwork and mechanics.

The ME's viewfinder is fantastic. The MX's is simply divine. You know how the one of the hallmarks of a "pro" camera is how many AF sensors are spread out over the frame? It's the same with MF cameras. If you can easily focus anywhere on the screen - pro grade. The MX was Pentax's pro camera for the M series. It really has a viewfinder that has to be seen to believed, clear as gin and the only camera I've owned where I can accurately focus anywhere on the screen. Worth it.

And it's just as cute as a button with the 1.2 on it...
01-13-2010, 01:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian
titrisol's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In the most populated state... state of denial
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,094
mmm if the SMC-M 28/2.8 is not so good, which 28 do you guys recommend?

01-13-2010, 04:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Nesster's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,047
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
mmm if the SMC-M 28/2.8 is not so good, which 28 do you guys recommend?
I don't understand the bad-mouthing of Pentax 28's. Maybe it isn't their best focal length historically... that is, maybe some other company made the world class 28's, not Pentax.

But: I find the Pentax 28's to be honest, well resolving lenses. Perhaps they lack the glamorous color concentration of some of the other lenses... but in my usage and comparisons (two Takumar 28's, SMC-A 28) they all have a family resemblance across the years, and the SMC-A is actually a smidge better, plus faster.

So let's keep up the good work: the Pentax 28's aren't so hot and really are cheap for a good reason
01-13-2010, 04:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member
Nesster's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,047
Dani, re. your original question:

this sort of swapping of cameras is like buying and selling of apartments/houses. It's all relative

So: how much do you think you can get for your K2 in Malaysia? Can you do some market research on the MX price, to see whether the $150 is within reason locally? Really, your true cost will be the difference in price between K2 and MX. It may even be negative if you can get more for the K2 than you pay for the MX.

As to whether or not: you say it yourself, you haven't enjoyed the K2. If handling the MX feels better, go for it. They are both excellent cameras and will hold their value.
01-13-2010, 08:20 AM   #11
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,166
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
The K2 also has that &*%!ing ISO/EV comp ring. Not Pentax's finest hour, that.

The MX has heft (especially with a K f1.2 50mm on it!) because it's still all mechanical. That means a lot of brass clockwork and mechanics.

The ME's viewfinder is fantastic. The MX's is simply divine. You know how the one of the hallmarks of a "pro" camera is how many AF sensors are spread out over the frame? It's the same with MF cameras. If you can easily focus anywhere on the screen - pro grade. The MX was Pentax's pro camera for the M series. It really has a viewfinder that has to be seen to believed, clear as gin and the only camera I've owned where I can accurately focus anywhere on the screen. Worth it.

And it's just as cute as a button with the 1.2 on it...
Maybe not the finest hour regarding the film speed ring, but not the worst. The shutter in the K2 is often over looked and will eat the young of the other bodies in the K series if the person behind it can take advantage of it. It has a step-less vertical run titanium shutter in the Av mode. I would call the viewfinder at 0.88 x [95%] bad either. I like the Me Super and the SuperProgram, but they just aren't the K2 and the MX is a different beast than the rest of the M series.

I second the motion that the OP get a good copy of the MX and try it out before selling the K2.
01-13-2010, 09:03 AM   #12
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 40
Original Poster
Wow, a lot of good replies here, and very good feedback too. I need a moment to digest all of it, haha. Will reply with my replies & thoughts later. Thanks everyone!

@Nesster: Well, regarding your question about the K2's price in Malaysia, I'm only thinking about selling the body. Hmmm, with a CLA (costs $30 here), I can probably get around USD100 for it, if I'm lucky that is. If I sell it on eBay, then I don't think it'll fetch that much. The thing about selling on ebay from Malaysia is that shipping cost is so expensive. I got the K2 for $40 from eBay, then I had to pay another $40 just to have it shipped here.
01-13-2010, 10:07 AM   #13
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Brisbane, QLD, AUS
Posts: 3,262
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
It has a step-less vertical run titanium shutter in the Av mode. I would call the viewfinder at 0.88 x [95%] bad either. I like the Me Super and the SuperProgram, but they just aren't the K2 and the MX is a different beast than the rest of the M series.
True, it was good for its time. But the ME Super's got a stepless, titanium shutter with an extra stop at the top, as well as being smaller, lighter, and cheaper. Got Av, too, which is handy.

Still has a terrible means of changing shutter speeds, though at least the buttons are less likely to seize.

One thing the K2 has is ISO sensitivity up 6400 - weird, when you think about it. Surely you'd be less likely to want to push an emulsion from the mid-seventies than one from the eighties. Really with the M-series had meters that sensitive.
01-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #14
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 40
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
If you have the money you could buy the MX and try it out, then sell the K2 if you like the MX better. It's a so subjective question that probably only you can say if you'll like it better.

$150 for a MX with M28/2.8... not sure, sound a little steep to me as the M28/2.8 goes for next to nothing and well, it's not bad but there are better 28's.

If you can get the price down a little and it is in good cosmetic and mechanical condition then it is reasonable IMO.

Yup, I agree with you Jim..and that's most probably what I'll do for now. Get the MX and test it out, if I like it better than the K2, I'll sell the K2. No point having so many PK bodies laying around

Regarding the SMC-M 28/2.8, I'm not really sure if it really goes for next to nothing now. Last night I watched one on fleabay, and it ended at GBP60, roughly USD100.

Thanks for your input!
01-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #15
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 40
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dandaniel Quote
What is wrong with sticking with the ME Super?

I have an MX and an ME Super. The MX is slightly bigger, and I mean slightly. And it is heavier, about 2 ounces, I believe. It is noticeable when I go from one to the other, but almost nothing compared to a K10d, at 750grams plus (MX- 490g, ME Super-440g or so).

Does the K2 have a meter needle? If so, well, that's a sweet thing. The MX LEDs are fine, but a floating needle is more fun. I do have a K1000 and like the needle, but can't enjoy the extra weight and bulk compared to the M-series.

As has been said, $150 is a bit high for an MX. Has it been overhauled recently? And the 28mm isn't worth much. It's a nice lens and I use one all the time, but it's a toss-in on the price, not a significant factor.
There's nothing wrong with sticking to the ME Super. I just like collecting Pentax bodies, be it M42 or PK mount. Just lately I got the urge to cull my collection a little, and the K2 just happens to be the one that I like the least. Yes, the K2 has match needle metering in the VF, but it's different that the one in the K1000.

Not sure if the MX the guy wants to sell to me has been overhauled/CLA'd recently or not, but it's in pretty good shape. You can see pics of it here: Picasa Web Albums - Teoh - PENTAX MX & 2...

There's another MX with a Chinon 50/1.7 lens that I'm watching on ebay right now. It's way cheaper than USD150, but it is also missing the rubber tip of the film advance lever. Hmmm....I'm not sure I can get a replacement for that rubber tip.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
asahi, hands, k2, mx, pentax, pentax k2, people, rolls, smc-m
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
50mm 1.2...to sell or not to sell? That is the question. RT1 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 38 06-03-2013 04:13 PM
Film camera bodies - CLA then sell, or sell as is? SOldBear Pentax Film SLR Discussion 15 10-27-2009 04:18 PM
How do you sell your Pentax stuff 713alan Photographic Technique 10 07-24-2008 01:26 PM
What Pentax needs to sell more cameras ftpaddict Photographic Technique 33 05-22-2008 12:57 AM
How much can I sell my Pentax system for? wmmk Pentax DSLR Discussion 63 06-01-2007 08:30 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:16 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top