Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2010, 02:05 PM   #1

Request for Appraisal Assistance

Hey guys!

The other day I was rummaging through a closet and managed to rediscover some rather old Pentax SMC camera equipment which I’ve had in storage for many years – properly wrapped and packaged with desiccant packs to absorb any potential moisture. Everything is in pristine condition without a single scratch or blemish, as on the day they were first purchased. There is not the slightest evidence of wear on the camera. The Pentax SLR camera itself has probably processed no more than 20 rolls of film in its entire lifetime.

Here is what I found (all lenses are PK bayonet mounting without electrical contacts):

1.) Pentax ME-F camera body (with SMC 50mm f/2.82 lens);
2.) Vivitar 2x Macro-Focusing Teleconverter;
3.) Vivitar 80-200mm f/4.5 Zoom;
4.) Takumar 28mm f/2.8 Wide Angle lens (fisheye).

Even the original owner’s manuals are present for each accessory. In any case, here is a PDF online copy of the owner’s manual for the camera itself: http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/MEF.pdf

Someone mentioned to me that the Pentax ME-F camera body might be considered a collector’s item at this point in time – being one of the first (if not “the” first) SLR auto-focusing camera(s) in production (though I don’t have the autofocus lens itself). Is this a bunch of hogwash? Is this camera basically trash-worthy?

Would this 30 year-old camera (and lenses) have any resale value? Would these lenses be compatible with the latest Pentax dSLR/SLR cameras on the market? Here is a hyperlink which will direct you to some quick shots of this equipment which I’ve recently uploaded using a simple point-and-shoot camera: Pentax Camera slideshow by ridgeback_photos - Photobucket .

Please note that this is not intended to be an “advertisement” to sell my camera equipment. Rather, I’m simply trying to acquire some idea regarding the salability and resale value of these items before deciding if I should bother to advertise locally on Craigslist - or simply toss the stuff in the garbage.

Please do NOT contact me privately with an offer to buy any of this camera equipment.

Out of respect for established forum rules and guidelines, I will NOT respond to such offers to buy. In any case, I would never participate in any such transaction which is not face-to-face.

However, any insights regarding the collective or individual resale value of this camera equipment would be most appreciated. In all honesty, I’m absolutely clueless in this regard. Many thanks in advance for any guidance or advice which you might provide.

01-12-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,
Welcome to the forum!

Valuation is always a difficult thing. Both the camera and the lenses have value on the used market, assuming they are clean and in usable condition. Several forum members own the ME-F and it is considered to be a nice unit. It is worth more than a ME Super in similar condition, but is not a collector's item (in my opinion) without the matching AF lens. Value on the camera w/50mm f/2 lens varies with locale and how it is sold. Here in the Portland, Oregon area, I would expect about $110 - $140 in a shop, CLA'd with 90 day warranty. $45 to $90 at auction or on craigslist. If not in usable condition (all functions working to spec), value would be under $20 for parts.

Your Vivitar zoom and TC would be worth less than $45 together. The Takumar Bayonet 28/2.8 is worth less than $25.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-12-2010 at 10:22 PM.
01-12-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter

The SMC 50mm f2.8 would likely be the macro lens. The ME-F is very similar to the ME Super but it has focus confirmation IF working. That feature can be problematic even for Eric Hendrickson. He cla'd one for me last summer and did an excellent job. I didn't have a lens at the time so he couldn't verify the focus confirm and now that I have the AF 30-70mm lens, it doesn't. Regardless, it is a sweet body and that AF lens is actually pretty good in its on right but takes some getting used to to mf it should you get one for it.

I want contact you about buying any gear but I will sell you some gear. . . . Sorry, I couldn't resist.
01-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The SMC 50mm f2.8 would likely be the macro lens. The ME-F is very similar to the ME Super but it has focus confirmation IF working. That feature can be problematic even for Eric Hendrickson. He cla'd one for me last summer and did an excellent job. I didn't have a lens at the time so he couldn't verify the focus confirm and now that I have the AF 30-70mm lens, it doesn't. Regardless, it is a sweet body and that AF lens is actually pretty good in its on right but takes some getting used to to mf it should you get one for it.

I want contact you about buying any gear but I will sell you some gear. . . . Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Blue...I was not sure from the OP which lens was on the camera (50/2 vs. 50/2.8). If it is the 50/2.8, the lens should be labeled "SMC Pentax-A Macro 1:2.8" and would be worth more than the camera body and the other lenses combined.

Steve

01-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Blue...I was not sure from the OP which lens was on the camera (50/2 vs. 50/2.8). If it is the 50/2.8, the lens should be labeled "SMC Pentax-A Macro 1:2.8" and would be worth more than the camera body and the other lenses combined.

Steve
Yeah, I intentionally didn't mention the A series since the OP stated f2.82 and it was their 1st post as a new member.
01-12-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The ME-F is an oddity. It's value is mainly historical interest. The lens is a f/2 as shown in the slide show. This is not worth much. I'd ask $80 for these as a pair.

The Macro focussing teleconverter. These things are funny. If you put it up for $60 then you might get a bite.

The Vivitar zoom is worth about $20, maybe less.

All Takumar bayonets are a bit junky. This also isn't a fisheye so don't advertise it as such. I'd say it's worth $25

All in all about $185 if sold separately. As a bundle you should accept about $120 on Craigslist... people buying bundles are pretty brutal but those buying single items will more likely match the guide price.
01-12-2010, 08:22 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by keyser Quote
The ME-F is an oddity. It's value is mainly historical interest. The lens is a f/2 as shown in the slide show. This is not worth much. I'd ask $80 for these as a pair.

The Macro focussing teleconverter. These things are funny. If you put it up for $60 then you might get a bite.

The Vivitar zoom is worth about $20, maybe less.

All Takumar bayonets are a bit junky. This also isn't a fisheye so don't advertise it as such. I'd say it's worth $25

All in all about $185 if sold separately. As a bundle you should accept about $120 on Craigslist... people buying bundles are pretty brutal but those buying single items will more likely match the guide price.
I couldn't look at the slide show earlier. When I just looked at it, that slide show makes my eyes cross. :wowcb: When I looked at the aperture ring flying buy, I realized that he came up with 2.82 from the 2.8 2 on the ring being a bit close in the M version of the lens.
01-13-2010, 01:30 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I think Keyser appraisal is spot on, but prices depends on where you live and how do you sell the equipment.

ME-F is a nice camera, I have a working one and is just a MESuper that is a few mm bigger but that provides focus confirmation.
I think 80 for that with the 50/2 is fair as long as everyhting works.

The 28/2.8 is a lens I have not seen before, but is listed here

01-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for all the very helpful advice and appraisal information.

Unfortunately, the speed of the slideshow cannot be decreased. However, I have added three more photos of the Pentax SMC lens which is shown mounted on the camera body. If you check out the slideshow once again, you'll see that this lens is a 50mm f/2 (not f/2.8) – I apologize for this confusion. See: (Pentax Camera slideshow by ridgeback_photos - Photobucket)

The hyperlink posted by titrisol is the actual Takumar lens which I own (see: Takumar 28/2.8 Bayonet).

Regarding the Vivitar 2x Teleconverter, subsequent to my initial post, I happened upon this discussion thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/41370-sale-%5Bsold%5D-vivitar-...converter.html. This is consistent with the $60 appraisal mentioned by keyser. (Incidentally, this same website appraises a "clean" ME-Super between US $85 - US $110. See: The "Best" Pentax Cameras).

Are the following labels and appraisal estimates accurate (all lenses are PK bayonet mounting without electrical contacts)?

1.) Pentax ME-F camera body with Pentax SMC 50mm f/2 lens (approx. $80);
2.) Vivitar 2x Macro-Focusing Teleconverter (approx. $60);
3.) Vivitar 80-200mm f/4.5 Zoom lens (approx. $20);
4.) Takumar 28mm f/2.8 Wide Angle lens. (approx. $25)

Approx. total resale value, if sold individually: US $185

This camera is fully functional without a single cosmetic blemish or sign of wear - including the battery compartment and hatch door. The internal electronics (i.e., light-exposure meter) are responsive and accurate. Due to the fact that I live in Toronto, Canada, the resale prices would probably be slightly higher than those stated above for American resale. My hunch is that an additional 5% would be reasonable? Does this sound right?

Many thanks, guys!
01-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The description sounds reasonable, but I wouldn't necessarily expect an extra 5% selling to Canadians. Lens value is a very subjective thing, not often based on anything more than gut feeling. Those values hold true because they 'feel' right.

I won't try to explain it further, but you get the picture!
01-13-2010, 07:22 PM   #11

Original Poster
The description sounds reasonable, but I wouldn't necessarily expect an extra 5% selling to Canadians. Lens value is a very subjective thing, not often based on anything more than gut feeling. Those values hold true because they 'feel' right.

I'll follow your advice, keyser.

Thanks again...

Cheers!
01-13-2010, 09:05 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Keyser is right. Toasters are the only thing that costs more just because it is Canada.

Steve

(Lame joke...remembering my days living in B.C. when people would regularly go south to Washington to buy small appliances.)