Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2010, 11:15 AM   #31
Veteran Member

The green negs sound like E-6 cross-processed as C-41. Someone posted about that here recently. As for completely dark frames (but the outsides of frames not exposed). Shutter could be way off, too slow, or lens could be stuck wide open for some reason.

02-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The pictures are OVER EXPOSED, since you are getting solid " black" photos.
Me guesses the lens is not closing or the shutter speed is stuck in something quite long
Could you try taking pictures with no film and check if the diafragm closes; and if the sppeds seem eaacurate?

QuoteOriginally posted by inte Quote
That is the case - I should have been more clear.

There is a complete absence of any detail in the shots. All frames are solid color. One is "orangeish" like a typical negative, the other roll is greenish. (Assuming the orangeish neg is the one they considered over & the greenish roll under.)

I shot an extremely old roll of 110 film a few years ago for a project & the old film had this same green cast to it, but there still was an image there - although quite tweaked.

Neither roll has a hint of any image - just solid color in the frames.
02-15-2010, 11:29 PM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
The pictures are OVER EXPOSED, since you are getting solid " black" photos.
Me guesses the lens is not closing or the shutter speed is stuck in something quite long
Could you try taking pictures with no film and check if the diafragm closes; and if the sppeds seem eaacurate?
Photos are not black. All frames are a solid color, but none are black. Shot 2 rolls, each was different. The lab told me one roll was overexposed & the other underexposed. From original post:

QuoteOriginally posted by inte:
All frames are solid color. One roll is "orangeish" like a typical negative, the other roll is greenish. (Assuming the orangeish neg is the one they considered over & the greenish roll under.)
I'll try to scan a bit of each roll & post a pic to demonstrate exactly what it looks like.
02-16-2010, 06:25 AM   #34
Veteran Member

A snapshot of the rolls against light with a digicam would do it.

02-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brkl Quote
A snapshot of the rolls against light with a digicam would do it.
Very good idea ... here they are.

I have seen the "green" cast on old film. Have shot old film & color is tweaked, but there is at least an image.

The other roll had a 2009 expiration date, and color seems to look good as well. But not a hint of an image on either roll...?

Holding the camera just now I do see a green light in the lower-right that changes to amber when I point it towards darker areas.

If I open the back so I can see the shutter trip, I can see it is much more open when shooting directly into dark areas and it will stop down when shooting into the light. Everything appears to be working perfectly.

The only "new" thing I did this time was cut the "tab" on the 110 film. I had read this was necessary so the camera would properly meter at 200 or 400 ISO instead of the default 80 ISO.

I suppose I'll try one more roll without cutting this tab and see what happens.
02-17-2010, 05:56 AM   #36
Veteran Member

It looks like no exposure at all. Like the shutter didn't fire.
02-17-2010, 09:27 AM   #37
Site Supporter

That's what I think also. I don't know why one is green and the other orange. Orange is normal in this situation.
02-17-2010, 11:32 AM   #38

Original Poster
Exactly - not sure how to even begin to address this as it only seems to have the problem when film is loaded into the camera.

With the back of the camera open, it fires fine. You can see aperture changing based on light as well, so everything works fine with the back open, but not at all when it is closed with film in it...(?)

02-17-2010, 02:24 PM   #39
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by inte Quote
Exactly - not sure how to even begin to address this as it only seems to have the problem when film is loaded into the camera.

With the back of the camera open, it fires fine. You can see aperture changing based on light as well, so everything works fine with the back open, but not at all when it is closed with film in it...(?)
If it were a 135 system, I'd wonder if the film were advancing. But with this camera it is kind of obvious.
02-19-2010, 12:59 AM   #40

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
If it were a 135 system, I'd wonder if the film were advancing. But with this camera it is kind of obvious.
Yep - 2 pumps of the lever per frame. Numbers change in the window, and you can feel the tension at the end of the roll ... all that is working well.

Only thing I can think of is, in spite of all I've read, I should not "cut the tab" to make the camera meter "properly".

At least that's the only thing I can think of to do differently.
02-19-2010, 05:20 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Sorry for being a pain, have you checked the manual?
There is a great information page here:
Pentax 110

Try not cutting the tab which should make you overexpose, since it "thinks" the film is ISO80 instead of 400
02-20-2010, 12:09 PM   #42

Original Poster
Sorry for being a pain, have you checked the manual?
There is a great information page here:
Pentax 110

Try not cutting the tab which should make you overexpose, since it "thinks" the film is ISO80 instead of 400
Great link! But no, I haven't checked the manual. Not even sure what I would be checking it for unless there's a troubleshooting sections that says something to the effect of "everything is working properly but your film comes out blank".

In my previous post I mentioned that the only thing I can think of to try is not cutting that tab on the film. Reason I posted this is according to all I've read from other 110 users (not necessarily the Pentax Auto 110), cutting this tab is necessary. Haven't heard anyone post the opposite, so was curious to see if 110 users do or do not cut this tab on the film.

Unmolested film cartridges work great in my old Minolta 110, so I'll have to assume they'll work fine in this camera as well.

Will post an update once I get a roll back trying this other method...
02-20-2010, 01:01 PM   #43
Veteran Member

well, there is obviously somethign wrong with the camera otherwise you wouldn't get blank frames
and it is not the tab.. in the site they say that the original cartridges had a whole tab (80-100) or a half tab (400) to differentiate film speeds.

So let's check things that may go wrong...
- Batteries, are they new? placed correctly? contacts are clean?
- Can you try shooting without film? see if the mechaniscm is firing or not
- In the site is mentions slipping, i.e. winding but not firing and there is a solution for it
- Troubleshooting in the 110
02-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #44

Original Poster
well, there is obviously somethign wrong with the camera otherwise you wouldn't get blank frames
and it is not the tab.. in the site they say that the original cartridges had a whole tab (80-100) or a half tab (400) to differentiate film speeds.

So let's check things that may go wrong...
- Batteries, are they new? placed correctly? contacts are clean?
- Can you try shooting without film? see if the mechaniscm is firing or not
- In the site is mentions slipping, i.e. winding but not firing and there is a solution for it
- Troubleshooting in the 110
Batteries are new & installed correctly. Camera is quite pristine & appears to be working properly. From my post above:

QuoteOriginally posted by inte:
Holding the camera just now I do see a green light in the lower-right that changes to amber when I point it towards darker areas.

If I open the back so I can see the shutter trip, I can see it is much more open when shooting directly into dark areas and it will stop down when shooting into the light. Everything appears to be working perfectly.
Checked the "slipping" link above - doesn't mention how to know if your camera has this issue or not. Mine is near-new so I don't imagine it does, plus the film appears to advance normally in the rear window - 2 pumps of the lever per frame each time. The only thing I can't verify is if the camera is firing when film is loaded. Film seems to advance fine, and camera fires & appears to meter correctly with no film loaded. Quite baffled.
02-26-2010, 12:18 PM   #45
Site Supporter

What if you used an empty cartridge or sacrificed a roll of film by cutting it so the current frame area is empty, and then installed it and observed the lens and shutter operation with the back of the camera open?

If it comes to that, Eric Hendrickson works on 110s as well...he's given 3 of mine the CLA treatment.

Brad